Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 36,018 times

Advertisements

We found a home in Williston and a home in Shelburne that we believe will both work for our family. The location and lot of the Williston house is more appealing for us, but we are under the understanding that Shelburne has the best school. Would someone please weigh in on the difference between the two schools? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM

274 posts, read 673,670 times
We moved to Williston last year and love the schools so far. I have heard rave reviews about Shelburne Community School though. I think both are generally good, so would focus on the best living arrangement. And they both feed the same high school. Williston taxes are a lot lower since they are offset by all the retail in town.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 AM

76 posts, read 202,267 times
I live in Charlotte and am currently trying to move to Shelburne for the school system. However, I have heard only wonderful things about Williston schools. Shelburne Community school, in my mind, has a very charming, small-town feeling. They take teasing and bullying very seriously and do an excellent job of nipping it in the bud and creating a respectful community atmosphere among the students and faculty. They also have some innovative, progressive curriculum initiatives that serve different types of learners very well. The school has an amazing blend of arts, sports, music, academics, etc. Taxpayers always (I believe always) pass the budget and are very, very supportive of the school. Their lunch program is extremely healthy....much of what they serve is cooked on-site using quality ingredients, including (often) whole wheat flours. The tomato sauces they use on the pasta are cooked from tomatoes the kids grow in the school's garden. Kids are not allowed to use electronic toys they bring from home. The K-5 principal is universally loved. And the 6-8 principal is a new hire, but sounds like an amazing person....he's been teaching science in Alaska for several years and made the final cut of 12 people from five thousand or more to be a NASA astronaut, and was chosen to go on a year-long research mission to Antarctica....
Allan Miller new co-principal at SCS (http://www.shelburnenews.com/news/article/current/2010/07/21/100617/allan-miller-new-co-principal-at-scs - broken link)
Phew, be careful what you wish for when you ask for advice!!!
Having said all this, I know little about Williston schools other than their excellent reputation.
I'm curious as to which home you were looking at in Shelburne.....I've probably seen it myself during my four-month-long search!
Good luck and of course keep us posted!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,171 times
Default Any other VT town schools you like?

WE are considering moving to the area and the above review of the Shelburne schools was very helpful. Any VT schools would be great to hear about. Charlotte sounds like the schools are not very progressive, no? South Pomfret schools look awesome and I know the Marlboro schools are good. Looking for great schools!

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Laura

Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Laura-
My neighbors love Charlotte Central School. It's one of the top in the state. I can't explain why, but for some reason, when I walk in there, I am overwhelmed with the sense that it's not the right place for my son. But it is the right place for many people I know. So please don't take my hesitation as meaning that the schools are not good or progressive. It's just that, for me, when I walk into one, my heart sings, and when I walk into the other, my heart sinks.
Also, we may change our plans and move to South Burlington. There is an amazing school system in S. Burl., and the housing prices have come down so much there that you can get quite a big bang for your buck. There's more inventory in S. Burl. (much, much more) than in Shelburne.
For now, we have enrolled our son in a private school in Shelburne, and we're sitting tight until such time as our house sells (not looking good in this market)

Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,171 times
Hi, Thanks for explaining. Could you say what it is about the schools that make your heart sink? I get that. Also, do you know the intentional cohousing community Ten Stones in Charlotte and what do you think of it for raising kids?
Thanks, Laura

Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM

LOL!! I live at Ten Stones. It is absolute heaven on earth for raising kids. As for the school.....it's so personal and tied up in my own school experience that it's hard for me to convey. I can put you in touch with tons of folks who love CCS. You just have to feel the vibes for yourself. We have a new family moving into Ten Stones this week; they just moved here from Brooklyn specifically for the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT