Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 15,993 times

Advertisements

John and Linda here.

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Burlington after having spent too many years in Orlando. We hope to find a place with cultural life, a real town center where we can walk to most amenities, and a liberal environment that could provide us with opportunities and entertainment for the next twenty years. . .

I am a Liberal Arts college professor and tutor and my husband is a jazz musician.

Will we be able to make a living?

We have read many stories about the high cost of living in Vermont. What cost level should a couple like us, hoping to live in a safe town center apartment, count on? Rent, heat, electricity, etc.Do we have to get rid of our rear wheel drive car?

Finally, we hear contradictory news about crime in the Burlington area. I understand that living north of Pearl Street is not advisable, but what is the rest like? Are there areas where you can’t go out at night? Is the town center generally safe at night? And what kinds of crime do people experience most?

I’d really appreciate any responses that might help us get a clearer picture of life in Burlington. BTW, we have both lived in places with rough weather so the winter is not a negative for us.

THANK YOU!!! I love this forum!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 PM

986 posts, read 2,341,193 times
Something tells me that the crime in Burlington is nothing compared to the crime in Orlando...

Your rear wheel drive car might be tough in the winters up here. I had trouble with a front wheel drive car one winter in RI. I drive nothing but Subarus now.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,153,860 times
renting an apartment in the city of Burlington is a nightmare. even $1200 a month can get you a real dump. i've lived in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Milwaukee. All expensive cities, but at least there are nice clean places available and you could go small to save money. The condition of apartments near downtown Burlington are just horrendous.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
renting an apartment in the city of Burlington is a nightmare. even $1200 a month can get you a real dump. i've lived in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and Milwaukee. All expensive cities, but at least there are nice clean places available and you could go small to save money. The condition of apartments near downtown Burlington are just horrendous.
Yeah, I was looking at rentals on Craigslist and was shocked to see how expensive Vermont rentals are. I can't speak much for most of those other cities you listed, but Philly, at least as of about 5 years ago, was relatively inexpensive for a city of its size. Granted, Philly was also (might still be?) one of the most dangerous cities in the country with a skyrocketing murder rate.

As for Boston, the prices are simply ridiculous. I have several friends up there and their apartments are either pretty small or pretty run down, if not both. And these are friends who have well-paying jobs.

I was expecting Providence and Burlington to be closer in rental costs, but that's just not the case. Providence is about $200-300 less on average, though many of the apartments in Providence are dumps in neighborhoods that I would never consider living in.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM

23,685 posts, read 70,826,631 times
College kids up the ante in rentals. Anything within walking distance of UVM probably should be ruled out. That includes most of the hill and downtown. You might find something in Winooski.

Not sure how education jobs are faring up there, but nationwide there are cutbacks. If you are ensconced now, leaving might not be a good idea. Burlington has decent jazz and music, but the ski areas might be where the jobs are. Remember the population base is FAR smaller than whorlando.

No, you don't need to ditch the rwd car. Just get decent snow tires and spend some practice time driving.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Not sure how education jobs are faring up there, but nationwide there are cutbacks. If you are ensconced now, leaving might not be a good idea. Burlington has decent jazz and music, but the ski areas might be where the jobs are. Remember the population base is FAR smaller than whorlando.
It says she's a professor. Colleges seem to do well during times of economic trouble as more people go to school. I know the liberal arts college that I work for hasn't gone through any cutbacks and though we're in a hiring "freeze" we're still hiring, and even slightly expanding.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 AM

325 posts, read 708,626 times
Great town, but I might consider another progressive/liberal area over Burlington. Portland is much larger, thus affording more job(in your area)expeirence. It's also somewhat cheaper than Burlington.

There is also Madison(WI), Iowa City, Boulder, or Seattle. If you do choose Burlington, consider living outside the city and bring lots of cash!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,909,771 times
you could also check out middlebury. there are quite a few colleges in VT.

Vermont Colleges Universities Schools VT college schools higher education Vermont Learning Institutes

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,153,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Yeah, I was looking at rentals on Craigslist and was shocked to see how expensive Vermont rentals are.
The condition is the real shocker, more so than the money.

I'm not discouraging anyone from coming here, but this is what you are up against. You'll need persrverance and luck.

Unfair Market? | Seven Days

Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM

325 posts, read 708,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The condition is the real shocker, more so than the money.

I'm not discouraging anyone from coming here, but this is what you are up against. You'll need persrverance and luck.

Unfair Market? | Seven Days
I wasn't either but this is the main reason why I won't go back to Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT