Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 AM

20 posts, read 41,017 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the E Lakeshore Dr area of Malletts Bay in October. Wondering if cell reception in that area is of high enough quality to rely exclusively on cell phones, no land line. We work from home, so it'd have to be good enough to serve clients without hiccups, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM

986 posts, read 2,335,381 times
While I can't speak for that area specifically, I would recommend getting a landline for your business no matter what. The reliability of landlines is much greater than that of cell phones and even if you have great cell coverage, if you drop a call while talking to a client, you've lost some credibility (I know I can speak for that with a vendor I work with... they have a crappy phone system and I can't stand calling for support).

If you want to just give out one number to your clients and have the ability to go on the road and still take calls, set up Google Voice and have it ring on both numbers.

EDIT: I'll also add that the individual house might make a difference as well. You won't know what your coverage is like until you get there... and even then, it's likely to change. I went from having great AT&T coverage at my house in Providence to having really awful coverage about a month or so ago. I can't explain the change, but if I was running a business, I would do it over my landline. Plus: You can deduct the cost of the landline as a business expense since you probably wouldn't care for personal use.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,893 times
I live in Malletts Bay and Verizon and AT&T service is great. If you are traveling to other areas of the state I would say get a land line as well. Both services have poor reception areas. If you will be working from just the bay, you will never have an issue. There are several towers in the area that would need to loose service and the beauty of Chittenden County is that it's flat(the area has many, many towers that cover the area). In ten years I have never had a dropped call or bad reception in the bay. As RunawayJim stated, you will never know what can happen.
We are now looking into dropping our land line as well. Phone/cable/internet is not cheap around here. People complain about heating bills. Comcast, Direct tv and the bunch have OPEC beat.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 78,694 times
i live in malletts bay and i have no landline. my verizon cellphone has been fine. i have comcast cable for tv and internet. welcome to the bay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT