Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 19,062 times

Advertisements

Hello! I might move to Burlington, should I sail through an interview this Friday at UVM. I am hopeful, but I am real concerned. When I search apartments for rent in Burlington, I find none accept dogs. I have had my dog for eight years and I have no more plan of leaving her behind than I would a child. I am 40+ and too old to be told I cannot own a dog. It seems I could carry a gun instead which seems obsurd. I would never shoot a fish for one, and as a veggie I would not more eat one.

Truly, I have a dog and a chance to move from where I live to pursue a good professional field. What is the problem in Burlington VT with dogs in rented accommodations? What gives? I ask wholly in the belief Burlingtonians (sp) are an enlightened people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 PM

89 posts, read 317,442 times
Over the past number of years many major areas have become less dog friendly as far as rented accommodation's go. I know that you are probably a responsible dog owner but as a former rental unit owner, dogs were always a problem for me in messes and cleanup when the renter left. On top of that always was getting noise complaints (barking) from th other neighbors. Also got sued once from someone with allergies when I later found out that the previous tenants had an unregistered cat. The poor gentleman almost died.

So for me it was easier to have a no pet policy. Just my two cents.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:19 AM

ab8mi I appreciate your two cents. Did you or do you rent to students?

You're right I am a responsible dog owner because I care about my dog's health, and there are plenty of responsible dog owners, but I see students in my university town who confuse the four-legged thing on a leash for an object.

Cats are a far dirtier animal than a dog, so I am not at all surprised (although I am sorry) for what happened. Strange to me is cats are largely accepted into apartments. Between their 'dirty' boxes, claw-ruining of carpets and furnishings, regular hair loss, the smelliest food bar none, and 'missing' the dirty boxes, I am stunned that a loyal animal, one that poos out doors, and in my case doesn't bark unless I play a certain way with her, should cost me a good job.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Dirty boxes??? That turn of phrase reminds me of the mother in "Carrie." They are called litter boxes. My ex-neighbor solved the problem of his dog's waste by walking him around the neighborhood and letting him relieve himself on everyone elses property. When his dog took to using my morning newspaper as a toilet, he and I had a confrontation. Where I live now, I have the right to shoot a cur (the dog, not the owner) with such bad behavior.

Trivia; When people are allergic to dogs, it is to the hair and dander. When they are allergic to cats, it is more likely to the dried saliva from the constant grooming.

In any case, landlords are less concerned with well behaved pets than owners who can't or won't take care of them properly or train them.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM

155 posts, read 614,186 times
Are you looking online in sevendays news paper or in the burlington free press? I have seen ads that take pets but then again I am looking at rental home ads not apts.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,741 times
I empathize - I'm utterly attached to my dogs, and I rented as a dog owner once upon a time myself...

There's no common database for rentals which functions like out MLS does for properties for sale. But over the years, I've developed an annotated list of property managers and the like who have apartments for people and people for apartments.

I'd be happy to email you the list if you'd like.

David Beckett

Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Hello David Beckett!

I believe my Email address is linked somehow to my unfilled-in profile. If you would be so kind to pass on the list...my gosh, THANK YOU! A start is a start. Really I appreciate the list.

vermont 8 it was after scouring the seven days (following the free press and other sources, the vermont renters something or other, which I have saved as a favorite) that I queried Google first according to my subject and located the City Data forum. But what happened to the window with the smiley faces? ;-) Thanks for your input, for sure. Took some special searches for me to locate the seven days and I'd actually felt reasonably proud!

And chickpea, it's not how I trained my dog (there are lovely 'dirty' bags, easy to use, biodegradable, cost less than their/her food). I doubt the mother in Carrie had a sense of humor, so I disagree. Dander is hair, to boot. Personally, I am allergic to cat dander. Smothers my lungs.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,876 times
The whole pet issue is the choice of landlords. Even the most enlightened and tolerant amongst us has limits. It is unfortunate for responsible pet owners to have to face limited choices on housing choices, but as in other issues it is the rotten few that ruin it for the majority. I have never been a landlord, but as a retired cop I can recall hundreds of horror stories witnessed firsthand on the frustration and losses landlords went through. Good luck for those searching for a place.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:11 PM

74 posts, read 348,244 times
David Beckett - I was wondering if you would be so kind as to email that list to me, as well, regarding dog-friendly apartments. I have not begun my apt. search yet b/c not planning on moving for a while. However, I have a dog and therefore will be in the similar situation as "ginabeab" soon enough. I am interested in Burlington and that area.

Thank you so much! I am extremely grateful and appreciative!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,741 times
Hi Ginabeab!

I couldn't email you through this bbs, so I used the private message function.
Please let me know if you don't get it.
Best of luck!
David Beckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginabeab View Post
Hello David Beckett!

I believe my Email address is linked somehow to my unfilled-in profile. If you would be so kind to pass on the list...my gosh, THANK YOU! A start is a start. Really I appreciate the list.

vermont 8 it was after scouring the seven days (following the free press and other sources, the vermont renters something or other, which I have saved as a favorite) that I queried Google first according to my subject and located the City Data forum. But what happened to the window with the smiley faces? ;-) Thanks for your input, for sure. Took some special searches for me to locate the seven days and I'd actually felt reasonably proud!

And chickpea, it's not how I trained my dog (there are lovely 'dirty' bags, easy to use, biodegradable, cost less than their/her food). I doubt the mother in Carrie had a sense of humor, so I disagree. Dander is hair, to boot. Personally, I am allergic to cat dander. Smothers my lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: