Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 AM

144 posts, read 450,373 times

Advertisements

Our house now is the first we've owned, so we're still relatively new at all this. Our Property Taxes are calculated by taking 4% of the last appraised value and then multiplying by the millage rate, which for our house puts us at $2080. Then there are credits in Charleston County that bring it down to our final $1175. In Vermont, it sounds like it is just a straight percentage off of the appraised value?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see about what the 'sprawl' is like there when we stop up there in May. I think everyone probably has their own definition of what sprawl is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,671,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
you dont need wind, hail or flood here unless you buy in a flood plain. homeowners... a little less.
just went through a homeowners claim about a year and a half ago. Homeowners will be more expensive in the Northeast than the south. It is based on the replacement value of your home and property. We were informed that our insurance was more expensive than what people in other parts of the country pay because it costs more to build in the Northeast.
With flood insurance, you will need to see when you decide where to live. Oddly enough we live right in Malletts Bay near the water and don't have to have flood insurance (not a flood zone), but when I lived in Brookfield at 2000 ft elevation we were in a flood zone. Go figure

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM

18,362 posts, read 26,568,857 times
Many parts of Vermont are prone to flooding, there's been some major, highly destructive floods, in the past. Buy on high ground if you can. Even where I'm renting, I picked the highest ground I could find...

We've had some heavy, destructive winds too. Nothing like hurricane season in the South, but still...

And regarding taxes: it can be a straight mill rate of the appraised value (and the appraised value for tax purposes is often higher than you could ever sell for). However, there's the homestead exemption, and unless the legislature eliminates it (and there's been proposals to do just that), there's some degree of adjustment available based on income, and there's a limit of what percentage of your income will go to property taxes on your "homestead" (home and IIRC first 2 acres, but don't quote me on the acreage figure) for lower income people, and there's also current use if you buy enough land to qualify for exemption of timberland or agricultural land. It's not quite as simple as it seems at first. I know of places where one person is paying over $3k in property taxes and the person next door to them is paying barely $1K, and I know a few people in small cabins paying under $1K a year in taxes. If you happen to buy property in an unorganized town or gore, the tax rate is relatively low (but there's little property available in those areas, and no economy to speak of...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT