Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 24,241 times

Advertisements

Is Megabus a good deal?

I understand that its cheap! I have already booked my trip and I am leaving in 2 days. What should I know before hand? Any advice?

I'd also like to hear and good OR bad stories please!

Thank you very much in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM

95 posts, read 202,158 times
I've taken it from Providence to New York City and it was great. Cheap, with plugs for laptops, phones, etc. Non-stop service too and you can't beat the price. I'm planning to take the one from Boston to Burlington in November. You pay less for the round trip ticket then you would for gas so what's not love? My mother has a friend who has a daughter that lives in Burlington and goes to school in Boston and takes it all the time with no complaints. Give it a try.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,504,558 times
I've used 'em before and had no problems, but we've all heard tales and it makes you wonder how they do it. They must be cutting some corners somewhere. Here's some food for thought:

Chinatown bus lines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

megabus bus safety - Google Search

Fung Wah Bus Controversy - YouTube

Chinatown Bus driver fight! DRAMA!! - YouTube

Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 AM

11 posts, read 37,221 times
Took Megabus last week roundtrip Burlington to Boston. Comfortable ride, safe driver, right on schedule both ways. Seats are roomier than on a plane, and recline more. You may want to bring a pillow and earplugs for a nap. I didn't bring my laptop, but enjoyed my book, iPod and snacks and was grateful not to be driving. The service has been popular enough that our driver said they may start running the big double decker bus here soon, and may add trips to Montreal after the first of the year - yay!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 24,241 times
Yay!! Will I get on I. An hour! The bus is here but doesn't let anyone on till 11:00. More than fair!

Thanks for all the replies. I will report back in my findings!

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 9,457 times
Default Megabus - Burlington, VT to Boston, MA

From what I understand, the 11:00 am Burlington to Boston trip has been running hot and cold. Today's bus didn't arrive until 12:20 p.m. So just a word of caution, don't try to schedule a connection unless you give yourself a good hour, one hour and one-half lead time. Also, as promised, there was no WiFi or any electrical outlets on the bus. Just accept the fact that for the low cost you will probably arrive late and not get what was promised for "extras".

Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,457 times
To update recent post ... correction, there WAS WiFi on the bus and the bus driver was very polite even though he was dealing with the late arrival in Burlington and facing horrific Friday night traffic.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM

I see they are now running the big double decker buses. Hope they add the Montreal route soon!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM

My new Megabus trip report: caught the morning Burlington to Boston bus on July 8. We got as far as Berlin (about an hour from Burlington) before the bus broke down. They called to get a replacement bus and driver from a local bus company, which took a while since it was a Sunday. After waiting nearly 3 hours in a credit union parking lot, we were told the driver of the replacement bus had made a wrong turn on the interstate and was somewhere in New York, and would arrive in another 3 hours. Yikes, no thanks!

I caught a ride back to Burlington with a rider whose boyfriend came to pick her up. Called Megabus and rebooked my trip, including my connection to Portland, Maine, for the next day, at no cost. They also refunded my ticket, and credited me a free round trip in the future. My trip to Boston and Portland the next day, and back to Burlington several days later, was flawless.

Despite the delay, I'm still a fan of Megabus. After all, cars can break down and strand you too. I do recommend allowing extra time or having a back up plan if you're doing something really time sensitive in Boston, like catching an international flight.

BTW, the bus now also goes from Burlington to Amherst, MA, Hartford, Saratoga Springs and NYC. Driver told us they're hoping to add Montreal in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: