Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamn View Post
So what's the thoughts on this? I was actually looking at Vermont to get away from this sort of thing.
To get away from the noise and pollution of the Vermont National Guard flying in and out of the Burlington Airport is really not that complicated, is it?

After reading some of your other posts I really don't think you would be very happy in Vermont. Trashy front yards, boring state capitol, homes in poor conditon. If you think Montpelier is "underwhelming", don't get lost and end up at maybe Wolcott, although most of the village IS made up of Buck's Furniture, by Vermont standards, a very prestigious and upscale store.

The potholes are there by design, it keeps people from driving too fast, saving your lives (your welcome) as well as the lives of others and provides jobs. Front end alignments can cost $75, especially if you have a big SUV.

Looking forward to your future commentary on our state as you cruise on thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM

48 posts, read 107,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
To get away from the noise and pollution of the Vermont National Guard flying in and out of the Burlington Airport is really not that complicated, is it?

Um, I've watched your own residents complain on YOUR local TV stations also. And to answer your question: no, it's not, you simply don't move there. There's nothing nice about aircraft noise. And it's a pig you can't put lipstick on.

After reading some of your other posts I really don't think you would be very happy in Vermont. Trashy front yards, boring state capitol, homes in poor conditon. If you think Montpelier is "underwhelming", don't get lost and end up at maybe Wolcott, although most of the village IS made up of Buck's Furniture, by Vermont standards, a very prestigious and upscale store.

I call it like I see it. And again, YOUR own residents were complaining about the trashy yards. Do you have a problem with the truth?

The potholes are there by design, it keeps people from driving too fast, saving your lives (your welcome) as well as the lives of others and provides jobs. Front end alignments can cost $75, especially if you have a big SUV.

The potholes are there because you're too poor to fix them.

Looking forward to your future commentary on our state as you cruise on thru.
I'm probably not going to give anymore. Instead, I'll leave it to you to keep selling the dream.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:39 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
You have rusty cars and washing machines in your yard?

no, I'm a transplant

Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,803 times
Quote:
I'm probably not going to give anymore. Instead, I'll leave it to you to keep selling the dream.
The dream exists for the people that stay here by choice. Isn't that enough?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Hell no!!!!!!

Switzerland doesn't have them and it's not being invaded by frenzied freedom takers.

Sheeps I tell ya.
Can you catch a direct flight from Burlington to Switzerland?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Your posts reek of prejudgement, ignorance, insults and a very condescending attitude. It never ceases to amaze me how some visitors can't just enjoy the good things about a place but instead come onto a forum city-data and bash everything from the people to the roads.

I'll just respond to your comment that the roads have potholes because we are poor. It's can't be our education as Vermont is the second most educated state in the nation.

The potholes have not been fixed for two main reasons. First, it has to be warm to fill in potholes so the work on those by VDOT and the various town/city road departments has just begun that yearly task. Secondly, we had a liitle thing happen to the state called tropical storm Irene.

Hundreds of miles of road were washed away on that fateful Sunday night at the end of September as well as hundreds of bridges. I was working that night and all 4 roads I could use to get home were impassable so I spent the night sleeping in my car. Not a big deal really.

In a Mt Everest of effort all the damaged/impassable roads have been fixed and the hundreds of bridges destroyed have been fixed or replaced. still lots of work to be done you can still the damage in many parts of the state.

Since your an expert you do realize that much of the road repairs in the country depend on Federal money which is in short supply right now. Nothing to do with the income level of particular citizens of that state. Thanks for the insult tho.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
very interesting but about the airport expansion over time and about the airport buying up houses to demo, not really so much about the f35s.

A Neighborhood's Future is Up in the Air [268] - YouTube

Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 PM

48 posts, read 107,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Your posts reek of prejudgement, ignorance, insults and a very condescending attitude. It never ceases to amaze me how some visitors can't just enjoy the good things about a place but instead come onto a forum city-data and bash everything from the people to the roads.

I'll just respond to your comment that the roads have potholes because we are poor. It's can't be our education as Vermont is the second most educated state in the nation.

The potholes have not been fixed for two main reasons. First, it has to be warm to fill in potholes so the work on those by VDOT and the various town/city road departments has just begun that yearly task. Secondly, we had a liitle thing happen to the state called tropical storm Irene.

Hundreds of miles of road were washed away on that fateful Sunday night at the end of September as well as hundreds of bridges. I was working that night and all 4 roads I could use to get home were impassable so I spent the night sleeping in my car. Not a big deal really.

In a Mt Everest of effort all the damaged/impassable roads have been fixed and the hundreds of bridges destroyed have been fixed or replaced. still lots of work to be done you can still the damage in many parts of the state.

Since your an expert you do realize that much of the road repairs in the country depend on Federal money which is in short supply right now. Nothing to do with the income level of particular citizens of that state. Thanks for the insult tho.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
"In 2011, many of the most heavily trafficked sections of Vermont's highways in very rough condition due to state and local road maintenance budget shortfalls and as well as recent harsh winters."

List of state highways in Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The highway budget gets relatively little attention at town meeting these days, what with the distractions of rising school budgets and political questions that draw all the passion away from more mundane issues, but highways deserve close attention by the voters and taxpayers. In most towns, more than half of the nonschool budget goes to highways and bridges."

http://www.sec.state.vt.us/municipal...ght_of_way.pdf

Just a little reading for you.

And, oh, by the way. We "cruised" across the entire top of the state today from New York to New Hampshire. Awful road conditions. Bumps, potholes, and ruts the whole way. Probably got a bruised kidney from all the bouncing around.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
Quote:
And, oh, by the way. We "cruised" across the entire top of the state today from New York to New Hampshire. Awful road conditions. Bumps, potholes, and ruts the whole way. Probably got a bruised kidney from all the bouncing around.
Thanks for driving through.......we keep the roads this way just for folks like you. I prefer the dirt roads myself.....

You probably wanted street lights as well right?

Old 09-01-2012, 04:23 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I was on my way to BTV the other day and an F16 took off. I thought I drove over a shopping cart and was dragging it down the street!!! Crazy! I bet the F35 will not be louder.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows where you can find out about the homes that BTV is selling for relocation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT