Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM

221 posts, read 346,023 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I have a question

My wife(originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin) and I (originally from Israel) are thinking about moving to Vermont and opening a flower shop there. My wife has been a floral manager for 15 years in Wisconsin and honestly I'm saying that not just because she's my wife she's done the best job I've ever seen anyone do, was number 1 in the company(which belongs to roundy's) in sales, opened every new store they wanted her to(like 13 of them), etc etc...and we figure we can do alot better in opening our own shop than her bein employed by a big corporation. However, Wisconsin seems very saturated and Milwaukee in particular seems to be going down the same route as Detroit, everyone is leaving or closing, nothing much to do there anymore.

From some of the research we've done so far, it seems like Chittaden county whether Burlington or anything around it is nothing but. If anything it seems like it's in dire need for good florists(no offense to any florists here). Are we correct? Would it be a good idea? How much do people like to buy flowers there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,597 times
I don't know about flowers shops but all the grocery stores sell flowers.
I heard a line today "just getting by is the new normal"
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM

Well that's kind of the new normal everywhere....like I said Milwaukee is even worse off. I know grocery stores sell flowers(my wife worked for one) but it's not the same. From your stand point as a consumer though is it a successful business to be had right now though? Or too disposable? Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
There are quite a few florists in the Burlington area. Chappels probably being the most well known. Burlington Vt. Flower Delivery Chappell's Florist. Voted best florist in Burlington VT. 05401 802-658-4733

Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 AM

Yeah I know Chappels and Kathy and some others but that still didn't seem saturated, but I'm looking for more opinions from someone who actually lives there

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM

662 posts, read 1,259,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
Yeah I know Chappels and Kathy and some others but that still didn't seem saturated, but I'm looking for more opinions from someone who actually lives there
We all live here,I know I'm not comfortable telling you that's a great idea.You say your wife is great at it but if nobody buys flowers because they choose gas for their car or food for their table over flowers that will die in five days then things won't be so good for you. Vermonters are extremely practical people.
Only you can decide where to open this shop.Again,I don't know the business of flower shops because I always got mine at the grocery stores because of cost.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Like Chadd I live within commuting distance of Chittenden County and do a lot of my shopping/errands there. I can tell you that I can't remember the last time I bought flowers in a shop. They are just not something I need. I can speak the same for friends - they either grow their own or go without. They are not a necessity. I will occasionally buy them at Farmers Markets in the summer/fall and can tell you that LOTS of people grow their own during the summer months.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
The last time I bought flowers in a shop was about 2003. I'm not saying that because I'm anti flower shop Flowers are an expense that most people can go without. With all the gardens around, we are flooded with flowers in the summer. The other point is the internet. For those special times of the year, I purchase flowers online. When my son was born a few years ago, we had local florists deliver and they don't last anywhere near as long as some of the online shops. I'm not sure why, if it has to do with age, further distance or what. My second oldest sent flowers to my wife the second week of December (online) and they are just starting to die off. If you do a Google search for "flower shops Burlington, VT, you may be a little surprised how many shops are around. I'm not discouraging you, but I would do a fair amount of research before jumping in head first. Remember, the county is the biggest in Vermont, but the whole county has a smaller population than most small cities.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM

Thanks for all your replies guys, they're much appreciated and will be taken into consideration. As for the research - well this is exactly what I'm doing here. Actually this is the later part of my research, like I said I know the stores that are there(Kathy, Chappels to name a couple and I have a google map with many others + I know stores like price chopper sell them so yes research is being done). This is one of the reasons why we would prefer the Chittaden area - as small as it is it is still better than say, Windsor. I looked at white river junction at first and well even if you include people from NH it's still not populated enough. Anyway thanks everyone we will keep looking into things and make our decision.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
My advice would be to have another more reliable income source. A flower shop might fail or might succeed, but you don't want all your eggs in that one basket. Make sure you can afford to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT