Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM

80 posts, read 158,992 times

Advertisements

Where we live in Virginia, we see an abundance of natural beauty--from our car. There are very few places where we can actually enjoy that beauty without driving (sometimes pretty far) to get to it. I've noticed the same problem when we visit friends in Denver. If you live in Burlington, is there ready access to nature (abundant trails, parks, etc.) without having to drive miles to get to it? Or, like us, do you mostly enjoy all that beauty through your car windows?

Last edited by Wildflower Summer; 12-12-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM

25 posts, read 98,785 times
Burlington has very little accessible nature, but some bite sized albeit very nice beauty. The waterfront path is truly beautiful, particularly the northern section, but it is only a sliver (about 5-10 yards wide and 6-8 miles long) of…(nature?...being the lake and view of NY) between the downtown and the sprawl all around for its entire length. You can bike out of burlington to some nice countryside to look at but beyond the path its not safe riding for a beginner. You will drive 30 minutes + to go hiking, 45+ for skiing, but the drive(s) are very pleasant. There are 1-2, tiny hikes 15-20 minutes out of town and a couple more walks thru small woods areas around too. There is a minuscule dog park or two, meaning 1-5 acres, around town.

Waterbury or Montpelier even Richmond are better choices for many reasons. Somehow Burlington gets all the press, but for any adult looking to move to Vt. with a family especially on anything less a BIG budget Burlington should likely be reconsidered…especially if you want nature, lower cost of living and access to Vt. countryside life. You can easily drive to Burlington, many Vt'ers go up there quite a bit, but they know other areas are better to live. You'll "get" it if you move.

I will add since you mentioned...that Denver has far more accessible outdoor life...and nature…in town even…many, many more and very large (100's of acres and more) parks and even more wildlife...can be much cheaper, has infinitely more jobs and has 500 or is it 5000 times more to see and do than Burlington. But its not the same...at all...as what you get in Vt.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,966 times
No city has true nature within city limits or thru your car windows wherever you drive. Vermont is a small state within a short drive to an abundance of nature but you have to get out of the car. I don't understand how you can enjoy any true nature while driving in your car.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 AM

80 posts, read 158,992 times
Well, that's my point, MRVphotog. Where we live now, there is a lot of natural beauty, but there's no way to get to it. Waterways that you see from the highway, but can barely get to (if at all). Abundant trees and forest areas that can't be explored because they're surrounded by concrete...We're looking for a place where you can actually interact with the nature (that you can see through your car window) without having to drive 60 minutes or climb over a concrete wall.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower Summer View Post
Well, that's my point, MRVphotog. Where we live now, there is a lot of natural beauty, but there's no way to get to it. Waterways that you see from the highway, but can barely get to (if at all). Abundant trees and forest areas that can't be explored because they're surrounded by concrete...We're looking for a place where you can actually interact with the nature (that you can see through your car window) without having to drive 60 minutes or climb over a concrete wall.
Well, Vermont is 80% forested, many trails, local, state and national forests and parks, easily accessible and no concrete walls. Mt. Philo State Park, for example, is just south of Burlington but you do have to drive 20 minutes, nice trails with beautiful views of Lake Champlain. In Burlington, within city limits, there is Red Rocks City Park...an easy trail system to view nature along the lake. Unless you live in the neighborhood you do have to drive to it.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower Summer View Post
Wisconsin

Old 12-18-2013, 04:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,664,610 times
There are acres of woods in the Cherokee Park area of Louisville and a forest/preserve by the zoo. An urban birdwatchers utopia. Many other tracts of open nature areas throughout the city. Lots of cities have accessible nature if you do the research.
We found our "Vermont" in Kentucky(L'Ville). Vibrant cultural amenities and 15 minutes outside any of the cities, you are in New England type rural areas and massive and beautiful state parks. Its like Vermont but with jobs and low COL factor

Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 AM

21 posts, read 41,318 times
I would have to disagree with some of these posts - in my opinion Burlington has a TON of nature within walking (or biking) distance. It is mostly accessible from the Bike Path - the most beautiful bike path I have ever been on. This connects several parks (many with their own "side trails") and travels for about 12 miles along amazing Lake Champlain. Then, if you want to continue, you can go further north onto the islands.
As far as comparing with Denver, there is no comparison. I lived in Colorado for 9 years before moving here - I have lived in VT for 8 years. Denver is a HUGE city with NO access to nature, unless you want to drive a minimum of 30 minutes. It is also a flat desert (albeit with views of the mountains). In my opinion, there is more to do in the Burlington area and it is far more beautiful. Every time I go to Burlington, I'm blown away by how much there is to do (especially outdoors-wise). And I would say that many small VT towns have far less trails (or none at all) accessible. In many small VT towns, you will have plenty of access to the woods, but not necessarily any trails or public land (without driving a few miles).
Having lived (or travelled) in many places across the country, I rate Burlington as the best of the best as far as cities having access to nature (along with maybe Portland, OR).

Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 PM

21,895 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
There are acres of woods in the Cherokee Park area of Louisville and a forest/preserve by the zoo. An urban birdwatchers utopia. Many other tracts of open nature areas throughout the city. Lots of cities have accessible nature if you do the research.
We found our "Vermont" in Kentucky(L'Ville). Vibrant cultural amenities and 15 minutes outside any of the cities, you are in New England type rural areas and massive and beautiful state parks. Its like Vermont but with jobs and low COL factor
How interesting this post is! I'm currently considering both Louisville and Burlington (as well as beaches along the SE coast) as potential retirement destinations. Small world! Louisville does indeed have all of that and more (and recently the Parklands and Louisville Loop besides). The only problem is: it's too darned hot and humid outdoors for about half the year to enjoy any of it!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM

35 posts, read 155,801 times
I've lived in Williston (10mi west of Burlington) since I was a year old and have to say this place is a full package if you are looking to move here. This state is a beautiful lush green and experiences all four seasons. Public schools are ranked high for being well educated, one of the safest places to live and raise children (look this up). Amazing opportunities to be active utilizing the outdoors. If you want to get away and scream at the top of your lungs in a forest or at the edge of a mountain top, there are so many places to do that. Very progressive, very liberal stances. Lots of 'real' hippies. Very wealthy people who can afford to pay the high housing taxes here, but will dress like crap.

Burlington may be the only metropolis here, but its more of a village to me. Nothing too big, lots to do. Local food here might just win you over. It's been one of the only positives having to come back here and save money after completing my Masters. Stowe, Vermont is beautiful as well for skiing and resorts. People truly take care of you here, customer service is excellent and people are well regarded, but growing up here i've always felt people have been 'cold'. (I've lived down south for school 6 years and I know the difference).

It really is a great place to live and raise children. I'm not sure what else to say. PM if you have specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT