Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 07:56 AM

17 posts, read 27,615 times

Advertisements

I am a long time resident of Vermont and I have lived all over Chittenden County as a renter. In 2008 I moved further north in-order to purchase my first home. We wanted to build and Knew without even bothering to look that Burlington would have no open lots we could afford on my husbands income of 55 grand a year. Several years later I am living well in Northern Vermont on a income of 75 grand. Well enough that I thought maybe I could go back to Burlington. Unfortunately after doing some quick research I see that's not a possibility. This now has me very curious given that the average household income is less than 45 grand a year and the average home is over 300 grand, who is buying these houses? Is it just a fact that single family homes in Burlington a strictly for the wealthy? Where do middle class people with kids live? Do they just rent, pile kids up in a 2 bed condo? Its interesting because with just 30 miles id go from being middle class to being low income and in fact would qualify for some government programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,331,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldl22 View Post
I am a long time resident of Vermont and I have lived all over Chittenden County as a renter. In 2008 I moved further north in-order to purchase my first home. We wanted to build and Knew without even bothering to look that Burlington would have no open lots we could afford on my husbands income of 55 grand a year. Several years later I am living well in Northern Vermont on a income of 75 grand. Well enough that I thought maybe I could go back to Burlington. Unfortunately after doing some quick research I see that's not a possibility. This now has me very curious given that the average household income is less than 45 grand a year and the average home is over 300 grand, who is buying these houses? Is it just a fact that single family homes in Burlington a strictly for the wealthy? Where do middle class people with kids live? Do they just rent, pile kids up in a 2 bed condo? Its interesting because with just 30 miles id go from being middle class to being low income and in fact would qualify for some government programs.

great question but I can say the same for everywhere that I have lived...

Average salary across the entire US is nowhere near high enough to afford the average home price.

From what I have seen in the 6 different states I have lived is that the wealthy own multiple homes all over the country while the average working-stiff rents.

Home ownership may be at an all time high, except its not MORE people owning homes, its the SAME rich people owning more homes, building and buying up all available land plots to buy and hold like some internet domain squatter

Old 03-27-2016, 02:00 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,420,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
great question but I can say the same for everywhere that I have lived...

Average salary across the entire US is nowhere near high enough to afford the average home price.

From what I have seen in the 6 different states I have lived is that the wealthy own multiple homes all over the country while the average working-stiff rents.

Home ownership may be at an all time high, except its not MORE people owning homes, its the SAME rich people owning more homes, building and buying up all available land plots to buy and hold like some internet domain squatter
I don't agree with this. High home prices are much to do with regulations making it difficult to build. San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Missoula, Boulder, Burlington have that in common. But this a good thing in a place like VT to prevent ugly sprawl. Popular places with tough environmental and building codes will always have higher home prices and rents then the median imcomes can suppprt. It has been this way for decades. Supply and demand. It has nothing to do with rich people buying multiple homes. There are a ton of cheap places in the U.S. that both lack demand and tough building codes. Try most of the Midwest, south and southwest.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:10 AM

41 posts, read 74,618 times
I agree, eqttrdr. Those with more means, and usually older, are buying more properties to rent them out, myself included. When interest rates hover above zero, those with means will find any way to generate more recurrent income. I believe what you are seeing is a fallout of retirees and near-retirees, who have cash, working to get yield on their money. Unfortunately (as I see with my own daughter and her mid-20s cohorts) we are creating a nation of renters vs those who own multiple properties. I might also add that real estate investment trusts (REITS) are now scooping up portfolios of single family residence properties, whereas in the past they always wanted larger multiplexes. Never before have I seen REITS literally buying up houses in swaths of a city. What you conjecture is indeed happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: