Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
"Was carrying crack cocaine when he was killed and they believe he was involved in cocaine trafficking."

Glad they clarified. I thought he was trafficking pizza when I read the first part of that sentence
Well, why does someone travel to sell crack? Well, supply and demand. Why is there is demand for drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
Some LAPD officers used to have a shorthand when reporting a gang related killing: NHI (no humans involved).

Old 04-30-2016, 07:21 PM

44 posts, read 44,097 times
Let's face harsh reality, violent drug gangs are no longer confined to just the downtown neighborhoods of our largest cities. They are everywhere whether we want to admit to it or not. Smaller cities like Burlington VT, Jamestown NY, Mansfield OH, Dover DE, Clarksburg WV and many others are pretty much in the same boat as the big major cities when it comes to problems with drugs and violent gangs. All these smaller cities have had the same financial problems and strained resources which has impaired their ability to solve these serious problems. Most older first ring suburbs have also been facing increased drug and crime problems which is pushing the middle and upper classes further out to the outer ring suburbs and bordering rural exurbs.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreskop View Post
Let's face harsh reality, violent drug gangs are no longer confined to just the downtown neighborhoods of our largest cities. They are everywhere whether we want to admit to it or not. Smaller cities like Burlington VT, Jamestown NY, Mansfield OH, Dover DE, Clarksburg WV and many others are pretty much in the same boat as the big major cities when it comes to problems with drugs and violent gangs. All these smaller cities have had the same financial problems and strained resources which has impaired their ability to solve these serious problems. Most older first ring suburbs have also been facing increased drug and crime problems which is pushing the middle and upper classes further out to the outer ring suburbs and bordering rural exurbs.
I concur with you. Gangs have been going to smaller cities for decades. It's even happened in places like small towns in Alabama.

City Gang Influences Show Up In Small Towns - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM

32 posts, read 30,460 times
You are absolutely right.
I grew up in a small NH town, eventually went to Boston for college and career. I've watched this ugly progression over the years. I'm always reading about a home invasion somewhere, or a shooting, in more rural parts of New England, and the suspect(s) is often from the Boston area. These thugs hit the small towns, or places like Burlington, where they assume that the police are country bumpkins and will not be able to catch them. They also assume the kids are naive and will be easy to sell drugs to.
What they fail to remember, at least in NH, is that a lot of the residents own guns, and will use them if they try to break into their homes.
I was pleased yesterday to hear they had a huge roundup of gang members in the Boston area.
WAY TO GO!

Old 06-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyking55 View Post
You are absolutely right.
I grew up in a small NH town, eventually went to Boston for college and career. I've watched this ugly progression over the years. I'm always reading about a home invasion somewhere, or a shooting, in more rural parts of New England, and the suspect(s) is often from the Boston area. These thugs hit the small towns, or places like Burlington, where they assume that the police are country bumpkins and will not be able to catch them. They also assume the kids are naive and will be easy to sell drugs to.
What they fail to remember, at least in NH, is that a lot of the residents own guns, and will use them if they try to break into their homes.
I was pleased yesterday to hear they had a huge roundup of gang members in the Boston area.
WAY TO GO!
If it's going on in NH, it's going to be worse in the South. Small cities in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are having issues with drugs and gangs. I know someone who used to live in Anniston,Alabama. About an hour east of Birmingham. A town of 22,000 people with gang problems. For a town of that size, Anniston has one of the highest crime rates in the nation.

I have no doubt that those gang members think people in the rural areas are more naive. On the other hand, the South is a very gun-happy region too. You break into someone's home in Alabama or Georgia, there is an even higher chance that you might get shot. At least in these smaller cities.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Anniston is a rather unique situation - military presence including storage and destruction of lethal nerve gasses that kept intelligent people from moving there, fairly large dirt poor population, on a major route between two large cities.

Most Alabamians aren't gun "happy" but yes, intruders do get shot with impunity, and many of us carry. I once watched a smallish woman deflect an attack by simply repeating, in a tired fashion, "Don't MAKE me pull out my gun and shoot you." (The paperwork and interviews after are time consuming and annoying.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: