Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times

Advertisements

No layoffs at Big Blue today according to the 6pm WCAX news.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
I just listened the WCAX webcast and there were some layoffs. They cut some contract service jobs, but an anonymous employee stated that there will be more later this week with numbers as high as 1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
IBM holds their cards close to their vest. Just last week it was said that even the governor might get the actual notice on very short order, even on the actual day that folks get pink slipped.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I just listened the WCAX webcast and there were some layoffs. They cut some contract service jobs, but an anonymous employee stated that there will be more later this week with numbers as high as 1000.
That was Monday . There were rumors going around that there would be a bunch more today, but apparently that was not the case (yet anyway). Given the state of today's economy, it will not surprise me to see layoffs in the near future. Hopefully it won't happen though. Time will tell.
From the news script:
10} IBM_VO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Despite indications that cuts were coming to IBM today -- it was business as usual. Employees coming off their shifts this morning said there had been no announced layoffs -- deflecting widespread rumors. The company did let some contract employees go yesterday.

http://tv3.wcax.com/n/tue6p.htm (broken link)

Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
According to a friend, as of the beginning of the year the cafeteria is closed down and the cleaning service that supplied the restrooms with toilet paper has not had their contract renewed. That doesn't sound like business as usual to me.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM

166 posts, read 441,423 times
Economist forecasts IBM layoffs

When economist Jeff Carr builds his economic forecast for the state, he estimates how many jobs the state will lose. Carr makes a special estimate for Vermont’s largest manufacturer, IBM.

He projects the Essex Junction semiconductor plant will lay off 400 workers a year over the next five years. “I don’t know if that’s enough. That was before the latest rumors,” he cautioned Tuesday.

Economist forecasts IBM layoffs | burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Carr said he has no inside knowledge of IBM’s plans, but he includes the company in his estimates because it is a large employer in a struggling industry. He said he pegs the estimate partly by looking at what happened during previous downturns."

In other words, he knows absolutely nothing, but gets to guess because he is an economist, and people get to believe him. Maybe he should hire on with Miss Cleo?

I'm fairly sure that my research is correct, and I'm looking at the 20th or 23rd as the day the ax falls. There is a lot of stuff that fits into place for a date right around then.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Interesting article in the BFP today concerning an IBM expansion in Dubuque, Iowa. Good examples on how the state, localities, education, commerce, transportation, all mesh together to bring in an employer and of course raise the tax base. The Vermont commerce reps comments were right where we should expect them to be, referring to the size of the business "it's not our sweet spot" as we strive for small scale, and of course the comment that we "go for the base hits . . . not grandslams." Wow. Actually what we really should have said is that we like to play night games, but keep the lights off to save the planet, so it's it bit more difficult to hit the ball.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Well here we go, bad earnings reported in the Free Press. The next three days have long been predicted to be axe-time.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Well here we go, bad earnings reported in the Free Press. The next three days have long been predicted to be axe-time.
It's pretty obvious that we will see more changes here and quite possibly major changes. IBM has now requested to be exempted from the Efficiency Vermont charge tacked on to power bills (actually another tax really) and I can't blame them. Not long ago there was an issue with the state tacking on some kind of software tax, fee, cost as well. It's up to legislature to determine what the value of keeping and generating business here is. In the case of IBM it may very well may be too late to refocus their plans on Vermont operations as I am pretty confident their ultimate course of action has already been mapped out. Today the governor's 2010 budget proposals will be announced at 2:00 pm. I hope it's not just going to be window dressing or reductions in areas designed to look symbolic, yet achieving little to no savings at present and into the future. This would be akin to something I read this morning, namely searching for lost change under the sofa cushions. Paul Krugman recently wrote a piece with concern that the US will now face fifty Herbert Hoovers which made great sense. It did not argue against budget cuts and alignments, but did caution that governors will be apt to make cuts that will have adverse impacts and not end up saving anything in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT