Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Why, yes. We continue to save, even in harder times, though we know not everyone can do that even in the most prosperous times. Why do you ask?
Just a chance to complain about Vermont again, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Hey Vermonters remember having savings? *sigh*
Yeah, when I had a job. Plan on it again.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,410 times
Hmmmm so this thread was about having tips for me :\

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom350z View Post
Hmmmm so this thread was about having tips for me :\
Apologies. You're quite right. I think people have pretty much posted the realistic answer to your question: Burlington area is too expensive to live on $8.50 an hour. You'd probably need to rent a place quite a ways outside Burlington, and that means commuting expenses. There are no guaranteed jobs here (or anywhere, but particularly here). If I wanted to live in Vermont on the cheap, it wouldn't be in the Burlington area.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM

118 posts, read 284,981 times
Volcom350z has the right idea. Living in Vermont is an expensive indulgence. $12,000 should last a couple of years. If you set your expectations a bit lower perhaps even longer. Opting for the $900 Subaru is a good start. And don't worry about appearances, rusted out high-mileage Subaru's are about as common in Vermont as nice sports cars like VQ35HR 350Z are in SoCal.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Volcom350z, out of curiosity why are you looking to blow you savings on living expenses? Are you saving for retirement? At your age that is a good start on a retirement plan. Do what you feel is right, but I would focus on living somewhere I could afford to live while putting money away for my future. Would you be happy just getting by your whole life and not be able to retire? I don't mean to sound sarcastic at all, but many folks here think they are surviving here just fine and they forget about their future. Social Security is a joke, if it will even be around in another decade. The money we dump into that system will be long gone once the all the baby boomer's have gone through.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,410 times
guess your right man I dont know i mean yeah

Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,573 times
I've never been one to seriously think about my future. I live for the present. At 19, you should totally enjoy life. Worry about saving for retiredment when you're 25-30 (I know it's not what a financial expert would say, but life is so full of crap that now is the time to enjoy it while you can). It's probably the only chance you'll get. $10/hr plus tips isn't horrible for someone your age, but paying $600/mo for an apartment plus utilities, plus maintenance on the car could be stretching it.

While I'm not going to suggest you go somewhere more affordable, somewhere you may not be as happy, you should probably consider finding a cheaper place to rent.

I used to live alone making $16/hr in a 35 hr/week job. My apartment cost me $700/mo. I had a car, paid taxes, etc, etc, etc and still enjoyed myself. That was here in Providence, but based on the research I've done, the cost of living isn't a whole lot different from Burlington.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
I think if you want to move to Vermont I think you should do so, but I think you should find a place in a more affordable town. Barre is a much more affordable place to live than Burlington and is just a hair under an hour away if you like to hang out there.
If you don't save for your future now it may never happen. All you have to think about is do you want to work to survive until the day you are gone? If anything, saving money on living expenses, putting a little away for the future and having some left over to play with is a much better time than working and just getting by with no money left over to enjoying yourself.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,133 times
Volcom,
You should do it. You're young, you have a job lined up, and you have some savings as a cushion. Burlington can be an expensive place to live; but, if you're careful and creative, it doesn't have to be out of reach. Lots of people are looking for roommates. That's not only a good way to save money on housing, it's a great way to meet people in a new town.
It seems like this is something you really want to do. If you have the opportunity, do it. I did something similar when I was 19 and I have not regretted it for a second. It was a wonderful (although, not always easy) experience and I ended up meeting people and learning skills that have resulted in a career that I never would have imagined for myself. I ended up going back to school for areas of engineering that I had never even heard of, much less had an interest in. All because I decided I wanted to be a ski bum for a season and I did it.

Enjoy life. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT