Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,425 times

Advertisements

Hello I am Currently from the Los Angeles area from California. I am 18 years old , and I would like to move to Burlington, Vermont. I already have a job landed for me its not so much though , its 8.50 hourly, but I was wondering if I do find a place to rent for a year that I can afford , and find a place thats walking distance to my new job how do you guys think I will do for 6-12 months in Vermont. I mean the fact that you guys are the #2 Safest State in the USA should mean something right.

P.S. I do have a few thousands saved, so I am not moving with 0 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 AM

51 posts, read 209,314 times
I currently live in Chittenden, which is about 2 hours south of burlington. but yes, you will have no problem affording an apartment here as they are all relatively cheap. oddly enough, i am moving to San Diego and i am finding that everything out your way is crazy expensive compared to up here in VT. as far as $8.50 goes you will have plenty. there are no gangs or anything like that here and even the bad neighborhoods arent tough, they are just run down. you will notice a difference though moving from LA with 4 million people in just the city part of it, to burlington with 38,000 people in an area smaller than one little suburb in LA

Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM

322 posts, read 1,105,345 times
i want to land a job in vermont... i've been there..but i came back here to california...stupidly enough... do you know of any guaranteed jobs out there that would be worth me packing up and moving back? anyone... because i love vermont... i always brag about it on this website ....lol.. seriously i do.. but yeah seriously... is there jobs out there?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM

104 posts, read 492,180 times
Have you checked vermontjoblink.com? You can search Burlington area.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM

20 posts, read 71,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSD514 View Post
I currently live in Chittenden, which is about 2 hours south of burlington. but yes, you will have no problem affording an apartment here as they are all relatively cheap. oddly enough, i am moving to San Diego and i am finding that everything out your way is crazy expensive compared to up here in VT. as far as $8.50 goes you will have plenty. there are no gangs or anything like that here and even the bad neighborhoods arent tough, they are just run down. you will notice a difference though moving from LA with 4 million people in just the city part of it, to burlington with 38,000 people in an area smaller than one little suburb in LA

Oh dear....

She said she wants to move to Burlington Vermont which is in Chittenden county, NOT Chittenden Vermont the town.

Realativly cheap? Maybe in Chittenden town, but not in Chittenden County.

Cheapest I could find using the Burlington Free Press Website is $775 a month NOT including Utilities (near downtown Burlington)

Apartment Community At a Glance Page

So Lets see... (I am assuming you are working 40 hour weeks with no other income I.E investments, ect.)

You make $340 a week.
You Make $1360 a month

And that is before taxes.

Good Luck

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,669,190 times
I almost fell over when I read 8.50 would be plenty. I then read the post a little better and saw there was some confusion about towns. 8.50 will get you a cardboard box in Burlington. Burlington is very expensive to live in. In fact the Freepress just had a front page article about how expensive the town has become and the North End is looking into seperating itself from the city of Burlington because of this.
My stepson makes a dollar more an hour and he has to live at home because he can't afford to live outside of our home. Between rent, cable, phone, internet and food you will have nothing to show and possibly owe more than that. Anything else you may as well forget about it. I don't want to discourage you, but if I were in your shoes I would never make the move until I was offered much more money. You could possible live in a rural town outside of Burlington, but then you will have to tack on the cost of a car.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,863,686 times
Agree, if that person suggesting that 8.50 would be fine then it's a real malicious lie to an outsider making inquiries. Also, for those that think that by moving out to the sticks where it's a bit less expensive you had better really understand how expensive a vehicle is to operate and maintain. Not all repairs can be achieved by liberal use of 2.99 duct tape. Our roads and climate take a toll on vehicles and even cars that are only 3 to 4 years old will need repairs and maintenance that in other places would be a few years later. Even if you have the time, place, expertise and tools, you still have to get the parts. I have this year already three unexpected repairs outside of normal maintenance and it's a budget buster.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,098,174 times
I'm not sure about Burlington but where we live, the costs are almost equal to living in suburban (outside Metro) NY...apart from cheaper car insurance and slightly cheaper rent.

Come winter you may get whopper gas/heating bills. Not like the ones you get in summer but BIG ones..our biggest this winter was nearly 300 dollars. For one month. Granted it was a cold spell but still...

You work for 8.50..Uncle Sam gets what a buck or two of it? What will you be bringing home?

Maybe you need a few roommates or just to rent A ROOM in a house.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,863,686 times
Just so happens that the Burlington Free Press has an article today reporting on the high expense and scarcity of renting in Vermont and especially in the Burlington area. Some people place the onus on the fact that we have students in town competing for apartments, but even without this seasonal element, the cost, quality, and quantity of rentals is tough. Also please be aware when you read the articles concerning the required wage to be able live and afford this or that the numbers quoted from life experience will place you in a very spartan existence.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 AM

894 posts, read 1,562,885 times
Rental scarcity/expense is a statewide issue, the students are not to blame. It is simply expensive/difficult to build and the tenant's rights laws make it financially risky to be a landlord in VT. I have an empty house in VT, I'll let the bank have it, before I rent it. VT is someone's version of paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT