Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times

Advertisements

Hey. I have been uphappy at the dorms here at college. My roommies party a lot. I made a post on the Education-College section "unhappy at the dorms or dealing with the long commute". I think it would be better to ask here on the VT section because that is where I am from! I've asked to move out but there isnt any rooms. I have debated driving here every day in Spring semester (or hopefully less if I don't have classes everyday). I am about 1/2 hr north of the St. Albans area and a total of about one hour and fifteen minutes to school. Today I have spent the day sitting in the computer lab and at various study areas and have completed a good deal of school work. There are fridges and mircowaves here in the buildings so I could bring lunch from home (vs eating out/fast food because I can't really cook). I thought even if I have an evening class I could leave once I wake up and shower and just hang out at school until class everyday.

So, really..how bad are the roads in the winter? Would I be better to just stay here in town (7 min drive from school to dorm) and "deal with it" or go home and "deal with the drive" (classes would be canceled if things get too bad of course).
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
That seems like a long commute.

That said, they're really pretty good at clearing the roads here, especially the Interstate, which is where most of your commute will be. I drive all over the state all winter, and it's rare that I have any trouble getting where I need to go.

I would still look for a place closer to school, but I don't think driving around here is as big a deal as some would say.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 91,664 times
Can't really speak to how the roads in/around St. Albans are, but an hour and fifteen minute drive each direction makes for a very grueling commute in no time. You'd be better staying in town, and possibly looking for an off-campus apartment in Burlington (rents in the Old North End are cheaper than the rest of town) or one of the surrounding areas? Have you looked into Spinner Place in Winooski?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Where are you going to school, UVM?

You're paying to go there to learn. Every college I know of has rules and "quiet hours" in the dorms. If they aren't going to enforce the rules, hammer them on it.

Though it may be worth living off campus, but I wouldn't want a commute that long.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
I am up at VTC Williston Campus. We are on off-campus housing. I am trying to get to the other dorms but there isnt much hope. There is an RA there but isnt too strict (seems like a partier himself). although, luckily its been pretty quiet. I've held a few jobs (including my current one) in Burlington so I'm use to the drive but still. So I am off back there and its the last thursday before break so now that I said its been pretty quiet.....

Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
The roads are usually not that bad, but on days it is snowing give yourself about twenty to thirty minutes of extra travel time. Our department has several people who travel from St Albans. The strech of I-89 between St Albans and Colchester can get very nasty. Worst case is they close I-89 for a short while or very slow travel speeds. It all depends on you. If you like to drive or if you are a good driver, then the commute shouldn't be that bad. If you don't drive real well, or at least don't drive well in the winter, then I would find someplace closer.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,595 times
i live is st. a's and most of the snow plowing is done after storms are stopped. if you have some where to be like driving back from school it probably wont be fun if it's snowing if you are going to school in burlington your best bet would be to go a little east where rents are cheap and it's not such a drive. good luck at school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT