Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times

Advertisements

Could Terry Bicycles Be the Next Burton Snowboards? | Seven Days

Funny. I haven't had a bike in years. On Sunday I'm buying one from a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM

274 posts, read 674,151 times
Terry is a great brand. I used to work for a competitor years ago. I think they will do well with what they have planned.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
1. Burton pay is crap, not much to aspire to in my book.
2. The woman behind this was driven out of her last job by the investors so I'm suspicious of her business acumen.
3. They will have to charge more for the same thing- she admits the cost of doing business is higher in VT, the product will have to cost more, will it be worth it? Do enough bicycle people care enough to pay a premium for the bikes to be built in a new location? I'd bet the Rochester bikes are going to be better than the first batches off the line in VT due to disruption and new employees. Higher price lower quality that is not the way forward.
4. I'm guessing the profit is in the clothes and if they branded new designs, manufactured the stuff overseas, it might work. Might.
5. How many places have a shorter bicycle season(for normal bicycle fans not the rare bike nutters) than VT?
Good luck, be a shame if the disruption kills the company.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 PM

I am guessing you don't know much about the bicycle industry. Terry is a national brand, just like Trek is (not as large but purchased from coast to coast, especially their seats). VT's short summers won't have anything to do with it.

And venture capitalists drive people out for a lot of reasons, and as much for bad reasons as for good (for instance, if their values don't align and the VC is completely profit driven). You can't make a judgment from that.

But I should have expected you to come here and dump all over this.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
1. Burton pay is crap, not much to aspire to in my book.
2. The woman behind this was driven out of her last job by the investors so I'm suspicious of her business acumen.
3. They will have to charge more for the same thing- she admits the cost of doing business is higher in VT, the product will have to cost more, will it be worth it? Do enough bicycle people care enough to pay a premium for the bikes to be built in a new location? I'd bet the Rochester bikes are going to be better than the first batches off the line in VT due to disruption and new employees. Higher price lower quality that is not the way forward.
4. I'm guessing the profit is in the clothes and if they branded new designs, manufactured the stuff overseas, it might work. Might.
5. How many places have a shorter bicycle season(for normal bicycle fans not the rare bike nutters) than VT?
Good luck, be a shame if the disruption kills the company.

I doubt Rochester, NY, has much more of a bike season than Vermont.

As usual, in forecasting the worst case scenario, you didn't disappoint. I hope your life has more joy in it than your posts indicate. Why not visit a forum that improves your mood instead of this one, which obviously foments more bitterness?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Article says they will employ 15-16 people calling them a National brand like Trek is a stretch. Looks like they are a value added reseller of clothing that makes bicycles on the side. Nothing wrong with that, hopefully a new clothing line will make them lots of money and provide jobs in the third world garment industry.
PS you folks are funny.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:01 AM

Again, I don't think you know much about the bicycle industry and how it is structured, especially around the supply chain. Having appeal and selling on a national basis doesn't have to connect to the number of employees. I worked for a MAJOR national cycling brand that only had 25 employees. My point is that the company's success won't be dependent on the local economy like you seem to think. But maybe it will because they will be able to employ all those super high qualified people around here that are out of jobs.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,983,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
Again, I don't think you know much about the bicycle industry and how it is structured, especially around the supply chain. Having appeal and selling on a national basis doesn't have to connect to the number of employees. I worked for a MAJOR national cycling brand that only had 25 employees. My point is that the company's success won't be dependent on the local economy like you seem to think. But maybe it will because they will be able to employ all those super high qualified people around here that are out of jobs.
I agree with the stuff you say here momnh.
Terry is a niche marketer who I thinks cache will only improve
with the move to VT. Sort of like Indy Fab in MA
Vt. is a cycling state regardless of the weather. On any cycling
forum in the world you will hear about how great VT is for touring
and training. In the market Terry is competing in this can only be a plus.

I rode from Proctor to N. Clarendon, almost every day year
round when I was here, on a fixie and single speed most of the
time

Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 AM

A biking experiment in progress: Rutland Herald Online

"Surprisingly, in Missoula, Mont., where the winters are fierce, bicyclists account for almost 6 percent of commuters."

I'm picking up my bike today, purchasing from a friend who upgraded. Maybe next year I'll be putting studded snow tires on it, too.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,983,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
A biking experiment in progress: Rutland Herald Online

"Surprisingly, in Missoula, Mont., where the winters are fierce, bicyclists account for almost 6 percent of commuters."

I'm picking up my bike today, purchasing from a friend who upgraded. Maybe next year I'll be putting studded snow tires on it, too.

Awesome, SCM !!!

I found some of Rutlands city infrastructure to not
be too bike friendly, specifically the areas around the
Fairgrounds and hospital, but you learn your way around
and some cases during rush hour, you can make better time
than a car. The two most undiserable elements I battled
with other than brutal cold, was the salt-cinder-water muck
that splashed on the bike tore up drivetrains like they were
made of tissue paper....thats why I went to one-speed stuff.
Also, when the snow melts, you will find the cinder dumps are
full of old screws, nails sheet metal etc, etc....I could get two
flats on one ride sometimes til the roads cleared themselves.
So, use flat-proof tires, tube tuffies and carry a kit and pump

The Schwinn guy on the corner of Strongs & Main was always
good to me, a little expensive but supporting community is
good

Be safe !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT