Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been accepted to the University of Vermont in Burlington. The 'Admitted Student Day' is next Monday April 5th. I'm trying to determine the best route for getting there from NYC. We have the AAA directions as well as Mapquest and Google. They all have us going through New York State and then taking the ferry across Lake Champlain. However, it looks like the Ferry isn't running, plus Mapquest has a message saying that the Lake Champlain Bridge is closed.
Does anyone know of a better (and hopefully FASTER) route from NYC? Although we will be coming on Saturday and spending the night we do have to head home at 4 pm on Monday night as I cannot take off from work on Tuesday.
Any suggestions??? Flying is not an option. I checked prices and on top of upcoming college costs, it is way too expensive for 3 people for an overnight trip.
Thanks so much!

~Ilona~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Take 87 north to Lake George. Take Route 149 east to Route 4 east, then hop on 22A north to 7 north.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
What Vter said is a good route, you can also get off 87/787 in Albany I think it goes route 7->9->7 then head up 7 from there. Vter's route is probably faster as you'd spend more time on the Northway and less on route 7.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
What Vter said is a good route, you can also get off 87/787 in Albany I think it goes route 7->9->7 then head up 7 from there. Vter's route is probably faster as you'd spend more time on the Northway and less on route 7.
Exactly why I, until we lost the bridge, favor another way. That ride from the Lake George exit to Middlebury has far too many no passing areas where you are at the mercy of other cars.

I take the Northway to Exit 28 and drive on Rte 74 to Ticonderoga, up route 9 to the NY/VT bridge, over to Vergennes, and then up route 7.

I find this way is a little faster than the others. Route 74 is also a beautiful road with mountain top lakes.

I go to Albany monthly and this is by far my favorite way. I'm going this evening, but I'll have to take the Middlebury- Fort Anne-Lake George route because I'm not sure how smooth the ferry is running by the bridge.

I've also taken the Charlotte ferry and drove to the Northway, but I'm too cheap to pay for the ferry.

To me, the more time on the Northway the better.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I've spent many hours making the drive between Montpelier and the city or its suburbs. I've found that, in general, you will find that the different routes have different distances but don't vary tremendously in time.

One way we've driven lately is taking the Hutch to the Merritt, then up through New Haven. You can get slowed down a bit on the Hutch and the Merritt, but the pastoral area is more pleasant than the Interstates in the NYC area.

We've also taken the NY Thruway up to 84, across to Hartford, then I-91 to I-89. If you go this way there is a great place to stop to pick up lunch or dinner in Brattleboro on Exit 2, about a half mile west of the Interstate.

Finally, most people I know who live in the Burlington area tend to take the western route up I-87. I know people who have taken the ferry when it's running, but it's more for the scenic value because it will cost you some time.

Explore a bit. If your daughter is going to spend four years in Burlington you'll have the chance to make the trip many times.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:48 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
We take the Hutch-->684-->84-->91-->89. I absolutely hate - HATE - the NY Thruway and avoid it all costs. However, we live in Eastern Queens, so for me, taking the Hutch is more convenient anyway...

Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
The fastest easiest way from NYC to UVM is I95>I91>I89 to Burlington...it is longer mileagewise but averaging 70MPH vs 50MPH makes a big diference timewise. All interstate vs 2 lane is a big diference timewise. Using Rt 7 route from the Northway is good but many traffic lights along the way plus it can be very slow going once you get within 10 miles of Burlington. The UVM campus is less than a mile from the SB exit on I89

The routes using the former Champlain Bridge route or the ferry route further north are big losers for the same reason as above. I have driven them all for years. If your not pressed for time during the daylight hours the other routes are way more scenic and enjoyable.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 18,736 times
My daughter is a junior at UVM and I live in Putnam County. I've driven EVERY way (drove home yesterday!). I second VTER's route. Taconic to 90 to the Northway to Route 4 to 22N to 7. If I'm in the mood and the weather is right, I will keep going to Essex and take the Charlotte ferry. It is a nice ride and only adds a few minutes. If I'm REALLY feeling nostalgic and it is a beautiful day, I will keep going to Plattsburgh (my alma mater) and take that ferry. This is a much longer route. You are right, the bridge is closed so the Ticonderoga/Route 74 Route does not work.

My daughter loves UVM. She is an elementary ed/special ed major and is currently working in two preschools/daycare centers. We spent the day together on Sunday and I found it interesting how she was really becoming part of the Burlington community as well as being a student. There are so many opportunities in Burlington. It was a perfect choice for her.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
MRVPhotog for the win. If ease and speed are the criteria 95-91-89 would work the best. Take the others on sunny days and when it's dark or you just gotta get there take MRV's route.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1517 View Post
Taconic to 90 to the Northway to Route 4 to 22N to 7.
I was going to take this today, to Albany, but I think I'll take the Charlotte ferry and get over to the Northway.

That 4/22n/7 route always puts me in a bad mood. On Thanksgiving morning I followed a woman (southbound to Albany) doing 40 mph for thirty minutes without a chance to pass her. When we got to Lake George she pulled into a gas station and gave me the finger when I passed her. If my wife wasn't with me I would have killed her. I hate the ride and the dumpy towns. I've taken all of the routes, I find this to be the worst time-wise. This used to be my regular one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT