Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,816 times

Advertisements

I have just been accepted for a PhD program at UVM. I'm incredibly excited, however, I have heard that Burlington can be quite expensive. I have been looking for apartments on and off campus and the cheapest I've found was 600USD, and on campus it seems the apartments are either partially furnished or unfurnished.

Is a nine month academic stipend of $15,500 enough to cover housing and other living expenses ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie_80 View Post
I have just been accepted for a PhD program at UVM. I'm incredibly excited, however, I have heard that Burlington can be quite expensive. I have been looking for apartments on and off campus and the cheapest I've found was 600USD, and on campus it seems the apartments are either partially furnished or unfurnished.

Is a nine month academic stipend of $15,500 enough to cover housing and other living expenses ?
If you're living by yourself, figure about $900 for a decent 1 bedroom in Burlington. Then figure in heat, electric, phone, pretty expensive food (especially if you won't be driving and will be forced to shop at City Market), and water. The only thing Burlington landlords pay for, in general, is trash removal. I would say $15,500 is barely enough for 9 months in Burlington, provided you spend no money on entertainment.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
More places will pop up in a month or two once school is out. The issue is you will get what you pay for. I have a friend that is renting a place at $900 and it's not a great place in a not so great area. Also as mentioned in the other post, add at least a couple hundred for utilities. For shopping you will be limited to City Market (expensive) or there is bus service to the University Mall where there is a Hannafords, but you will need to lug all of your groceries on and off a bus and from the bus stop to your apartment. The public transportation is OK, but it is not close to what most people think of with public transportation. What I mean is you may have to walk some distance to the bus. They don't cover most of the city. If you have a car you will not have to worry about that.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:

Nope. Not in Burlington.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM

thanks for all the advice but it is making me think twice now about going there.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
thanks for all the advice but it is making me think twice now about going there.
If you will have a car and could stand a bit of a commute, you could possibly find cheaper decent living arrangements in a nearby town, especially if you find someone to share it with. UVM probably has a networking system (most colleges do) for off-campus student housing you could check with.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
If you will have a car and could stand a bit of a commute, you could possibly find cheaper decent living arrangements in a nearby town, especially if you find someone to share it with. UVM probably has a networking system (most colleges do) for off-campus student housing you could check with.

If I go to UVM, I won't be able to get a car at least until I am settled. I have contacted the university housing department and I am trying to see if shared housing is possible.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
If I go to UVM, I won't be able to get a car at least until I am settled. I have contacted the university housing department and I am trying to see if shared housing is possible.

Yeah, that could be tough. If you live walking distance from campus, IMO you don't really need a car. Probably you'd make friends for getaways but I mostly find Burlington quite walkable.

I think I'd have loved going to college in Burlington. However, it's very challenging in terms of housing and affordability.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that could be tough. If you live walking distance from campus, IMO you don't really need a car. Probably you'd make friends for getaways but I mostly find Burlington quite walkable.

I think I'd have loved going to college in Burlington. However, it's very challenging in terms of housing and affordability.

The state looks beautiful, it has a lot of natural beauty and the school is still one of my top choices but housing ad affordability is what is making it tough to decide. I'll have to wait and see what on-campus housing has to offer.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:

You don' need a car, but groceries is a huge issue with downtown Burlington. You have one choice and that's the very expensive City Market unless you are willing to lug groceries on the bus. The other issue is the bus schedule may not always work around your schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT