Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 PM

11 posts, read 35,477 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a great job working at Burlington airport. We are in our mid 20s. We are completely lost when it comes to the area and finding a place to rent.

I've lived in San Diego my whole life and we love the beach lifestyle, easy access to entertainment, and outdoor activities. We are not prepared at all for Vermont winters, but I hope switching from a surfboard to a snowboard will help us deal with the snow and cold.

I've read a lot of threads on here, more or less worrying me about the huge cost of living with the very crappy housing situation (cost of living I can deal with, but usually I get a good place to live in return!). My husband is willing to commute 25 mins to get to work. We don't want to be near (or at least negatively affected by) any of the apartment complexes filled with partying university students.

We'd like to spend no more than $1400/month (including utilities) and not live in a dump. Is this possible? What areas or apartment complexes do you recommend? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times
There are not that many apartment complexes. Most apartments are in old homes that have been carved up.
That said..there is a nice new apt complex called the Farmstand on Allen Road in South Burlington. It's far enough away from the University that students would not be a problem. I believe they are managed by Larkin Realty.
Other than that I'd suggest you focus on Williston, Essex or Colchester for housing.
As for surfing, you can always go ice surfing!

YouTube - what Vermonters get up to when it's cold

Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorrim View Post
We'd like to spend no more than $1400/month (including utilities) and not live in a dump. Is this possible? What areas or apartment complexes do you recommend? Thanks for any help!
You'll probably have better luck renting a house, or a large apartment in a house. Try the 7 Days classifieds for rentals, then Mapquest driving distances to the Burlington airport:

http://classifieds.sevendaysvt.com/home.htm

Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,691 times
Sheryl makes a good point. Look outside of Burlington or even Chittenden County. The furher out you go the more home or apartment you will get. With utilities, it is hard to estimate on what a starting point is for rent. Everyone is different. Some people can get away with 200-300/month while others can almost double that. It depends on what you use for phone, cable, internet, electricity. Also find out if heat is included or not. This can have an impact on utilities, especially with the price of oil going up and up. As a starting point look in the 1000-1100 price range. If you want to be in or around Burlington, you need to look now. The schools are just about out and people tend to move more this time of year. This is when the rental stock is at it's highest. If you are not moving yet, try to find a place before mid summer. Late July is when the students start to roll back in town and rent everything again.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,170 times
Get a good, warm down comforter -- you are going 180 degrees in climate. I lived in the Adirondacks, SE of Burlington for 6 years.

I am familiar with the area immediately around UVM. A friend grew up on a dairy farm in Colchester--they have been there for generations. My ex's son relocated to the area of the Shelbourne Museum, where his wife was hired, about two years ago.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM

24 posts, read 52,774 times
I hope you will be ok renting a dingy studio or one bedroom for only $1400...

Old 09-21-2014, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 35,477 times
Update 3 years later...

We ended up renting a 2bed/2bath at Keen's Crossing. It was the only place that was available and seemed decent just based on photos (we had no time to scope anything out beforehand). It was fine, but a year later we moved into the brand new Stonewood apartment complex. Loved it. Both places were roughly $1400/month. Now we own a house!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:33 PM

149 posts, read 181,360 times
Any regrets on trading California for Vermont?

Old 09-25-2014, 11:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
haha... I am impressed. I would have thought you were going to say you got sick of the cold and moved back. What brought you here?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM

128 posts, read 168,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorrim View Post
My husband just got a great job working at Burlington airport. We are in our mid 20s. We are completely lost when it comes to the area and finding a place to rent.

I've lived in San Diego my whole life and we love the beach lifestyle, easy access to entertainment, and outdoor activities. We are not prepared at all for Vermont winters, but I hope switching from a surfboard to a snowboard will help us deal with the snow and cold.

I've read a lot of threads on here, more or less worrying me about the huge cost of living with the very crappy housing situation (cost of living I can deal with, but usually I get a good place to live in return!). My husband is willing to commute 25 mins to get to work. We don't want to be near (or at least negatively affected by) any of the apartment complexes filled with partying university students.

You will love living there for a few years while discovering a whole new world but the weather will eventually drive you out especially coming from San Diego. You are going from some of the best weather in the country to some of the worst weather in the country. Winters are very long and brutally cold, summers are very short, and you are going to miss the sun a lot.

But enjoy the change and the experience, Vermont is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT