Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times

Advertisements

That's a good point, joe moving. There's a lot of talk about "sustainability" when it comes to energy,farming, development,etc. but what about wages and employment? These low wages can't realistically sustain anybody. Haven't they ever heard of a "living wage"? That talk was all the rage here in CA before the economy tanked. Liberal special interest groups would go around to cities trying to goad them into adopting this concept and making it law. The premise being that minimum wage or just above isn't enough to permit a person or a family to live decently. And where the cost of living is high, like in Vermont, I'm sure this concept is all the more relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
so how do you do it?

30k is not really a living sustainable income is it?

The only way I'm able to make it on my unsustainable wage is that my dh makes an average VT wage and his employer pays for 80 percent of our health insurance. I would never be able to support myself here and it scares the s**t out of me.

The low wages wouldn't be bad if the cost of living were lower. I think I read somewhere that 25 percent of WORKING Vermonters are on Medicaid/Catamount/Dr. Dinosaur and nearly half qualify for food assistance. This is very sad. I love living here, but it sure isn't easy unless you come here with a lot of money/investments.

As to the OP, I think he'll do just fine given his salary. Even if he takes a new job at $60,000 he could swing it although it would be tight in the Burlington area.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Those jobs more than likely do not exist in Burlington, but if they did they'd probably pay somewhere in the $12 to $15 an hour range.
unreal

An easy way to find some info is to check the local paper's classified ads. Looks like IT jobs do exist in the Burlington area and other places in Vermont, the jobs that list salaries pay 65K to 110K a year, most in the 85-90k range.
burlingtonfreepress.com - CareerBuilder - Jobs

Probably no industry is more networked than the IT business I'm sure your partner would be able to easily get some additional leads about other employment opportunities.

UVM uses a bunch of IT people but that's a state job probably pays less than the private sector. GE Healthcare, formerly IDX, Fletcher Allen, IBM are some of the areas larger emplyers that use IT people. Check their websites for further job info.

Founded in Stowe, about 30/40 min from Burlington, Springer-Miller is one of the world leaders in lodging software. It got taken over by Par Tech a few years ago but the SM company remains in Stowe.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 06-06-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
There are jobs and there are some good paying jobs, but there are fewer of them in Vt and the competition is tough. If you are moving here from NY and the job is secure, keep it for now. I don't want to turn this into a political post, but with the huge financial issues in Europe, the increasing value of the US dollar (not good for exported goods), the massive US debt, poor job growth, falling stock market, etc, ect the indicators are pointing to a W recovery. If the economy dips again there will be further job losses and economic problems.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Like Vter and 68 mention Vermont is a small state in size and population so the size of the IT/software industry is small. As far as the financial/economy prediction there are alot of if's in there. Maybe it will be a double-dip, maybe not. You have bulls and bears and everything in between as far as an assessment for the future.

You can move to Vermont. not have a job and do fine. I did it, many others have as well. The key IMHO is that you have to have the skills/experience that the job market in Vermont has openings in, a good employment history, a positive attitude and willing to be flexible. Having said that I do agree it is alot wiser to move, not just to Vermont but most places, especially in the current economic climate, having a job when you get here.

If you can move to Burlington with a good job that a big plus. You can always change jobs once your here for awhile, getting familiar with the Vermont job situation.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM

135 posts, read 548,280 times
Granted, the salaries are lower in VT, but still are way too high for software development. You can get a good product with faster turn around in India or Malaysia for about one tenth the price in the US, and the time difference makes it easy for them to work at hours when you aren't, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 46,874 times
Thanks for all the support and info, everyone. I also bring in about 40k with my freelance editing, so 60k would be ok for us (though more would be better of course!)... we are definitely taking all of your advice and he is keeping his job in NY. Once we are there, he may start looking around for something else, but he's not going to leave the other job until he finds something solid.

MRVPhotog, I actually know the Springer-Miller's via Stowe Theatre Guild. Did not know they were in software, though... I'll certainly keep that in mind for him too.

Again, thanks everyone. I can't wait to get back home!

Checking out some more houses this weekend in the New North End, S. Burlington, and Williston... perhaps this will be the weekend we find the one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT