Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 AM

12 posts, read 46,878 times

Advertisements

Hello...

We are curious if there are any people out there in this field that can shed some light on what kind of salary we can expect to find? Currently, my man is not facing a problem as he will be working remotely for a company here in Manhattan at a very comfortable salary for Burlington... however, he likes to entertain the idea of eventually breaking free of this company and getting a more low-key job up there. Not even sure if such jobs exist there, but thinking they must. Any clues on salary, more or less (hopefully more haha)...

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:32 AM

459 posts, read 1,036,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMaria View Post
Hello...

We are curious if there are any people out there in this field that can shed some light on what kind of salary we can expect to find? Currently, my man is not facing a problem as he will be working remotely for a company here in Manhattan at a very comfortable salary for Burlington... however, he likes to entertain the idea of eventually breaking free of this company and getting a more low-key job up there. Not even sure if such jobs exist there, but thinking they must. Any clues on salary, more or less (hopefully more haha)...

Thanks guys!
Those jobs more than likely do not exist in Burlington, but if they did they'd probably pay somewhere in the $12 to $15 an hour range.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM

Really! Damn... are there no companies at all there requiring software? That seems hard to believe. But, 12-15 is... are you serious? He currently makes about $65/hour, so he would probably not leave his job for that, haha... we were thinking he might have to go down to about 60k or so, but 12-15/hour is less than I make as a freelance editor! Damn!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Not true Bickletravis. Yes there are software development jobs in the Burlington area. In fact my spouse's company has been hiring. Try GE Healthcare, MyWebGrocer.com, Dealer.com, Physicians Computer Co and NRG Systems to name a few. I know a couple senior developers with 15+ years experience making 100K+. Not sure what those with less experience make but if I had to guess it would be in the 50-75K range (at my spouse's company anyway).

Old 06-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Phew!!! That's more like it, vter... Well, that is very reassuring indeed. My partner is in the 10+ years experience category and is currently at the Vice President level with Morgan Stanley, making 125k. He is very valuable to them, as they offered him the option to work remotely when we decided to move to Vermont, but it's good to know that he will have some options once we're up there if he so chooses (which I think he will). We are house-shopping with the idea that he could be making as low as 60k, which sounds like he could definitely make that much.

Thanks for your info and the better news

Old 06-05-2010, 10:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Just keep in mind that it is a small market so there are not a ton of these kinds of jobs and what ones are available are pretty competitive. It's good that you are bringing your employment with you!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Agreed. The good thing about that is that he can take his time finding something there, while still making a great salary. Feels like we are in a good position. He feels pretty confident about competing... or as he says, he'll just work at Kountry Kart if all else fails

Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
does he like the computer job he has?

working remotely can be tough.

at 65/hour just do some serious saving

Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 AM

166 posts, read 441,640 times
Best way to compare salaries in Burlington is take whatever you make in NYC, NJ, Boston, and CT and divide it by half. There was a recent post about a nurse who was making 100,000 a year in NYC and someone who works in the hosptal in Burlington said the starting salary for the same position was 25-30K a year. The salaries up here are insulting and the cost of living is not cheap. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
so how do you do it?

30k is not really a living sustainable income is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT