Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAQ View Post
I just feel so far I've developed skills I normally would not in school, so to me it's another type of on the job training that allows to better my public speaking skills, knowledge of business, networking and just being more confident in myself. Since learning so much I feel confident enough to someday starting my own business from everything I have learned!

A part-time $9.00/hr job won't give me those skills.

But great opinions from this thread, very informative from those close minded and the not so close minded. Just like my friend said "I'm a worker, I've worked for so long I do not see myself doing anything else besides working. I don't have the entrepreneur mindset like you do."
Two things:

a) when I was in college, all the glib students who were waiters at trendy restaurants learned good speaking skills and became more confident, often getting recruited into glad handing back-slapping jobs upon completing their degrees. In fact, don't you know some movie stars were spotted while waiting on tables?

b) this has NOTHING to do with an open or a closed mind. It has EVERYTHING to do with a person who planned on enjoying a cup of coffee at Starbucks or Barnes and Noble NOT wanting to be "worked" for something they don't need, don't want to do, and don't have anything in common with those approaching them. In fact, some people would welcome a mild earthquake while sitting there more so than being approached by an MLM-er. At least, that's an "act of God."

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-02-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM

447 posts, read 743,495 times
Default Mlm

I'm part of an MLM but I do it on the side. I'm not a rah, rah kind of guy so I do what's called opt in marketing. This means you advertise the opportunity but you don't push the opportunity. If people opt in and want to know more great, if not then there is no need in chasing them. Opt in marketing is a lot
easier than recruiting your friends or going to meetings. At the end of the day people sell themselves,
you just have to tell them about it. Here is my tell below:

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-29-2012 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
I go to my nephews football games, one of the moms there is always trying to recruit people into a vitamin/supplement sales team type of thing. As far as I can tell no one has taken her up on her offer but she keeps on trying.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM

447 posts, read 743,495 times
Default sales

Vitamin sales is such a niche market it's hard to convince people they need it. You never want to push a product. I chose Cell Phone service as an MLM because I know everyone needs the product. They just want to have it cheaper or even free. If your an agent and you refer 3 people your service is free.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-29-2012 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
MLMs are annoying because the "business model" requires you to get others into the fold. If you just buy a few products every now and then, it won't work. I recall reading the numbers for Amway when I was solicited, and it was pretty much that. I had to build up in-breadth downlines (going across on a chart), and also in-depth downlines (those downlines having their own downlines). When I do a computer job, I'm not pushing that product and services onto my friends, families, and neighbors.

Then I researched online about how all they care about is your $$, which was my experience. A former coworker called me out of the blue to try to solicit me. When eventually I told him I wasn't interested, he never contacted me again. Then there's also research how some of these pricks will try to get you to go to the convention when it's the same bs, but on a grander scale.

A lot of interesting reads here about how destructive these people can be.
Married to an Ambot

Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Here's my take. I am with a company that has a MLM compensation plan. I think people need to separate the payment plan from the product. It's kind of simple. Can a person make a livable income just from the sale of the product or service? If not or it's very hard to do then to make money it's time to start recruiting the masses.

If anyone has a problem with someone recruiting them just tell them no thanks. It's not a personal statement it's business. I'm sure that's the way they are looking at it to some extent. When I offer people what I have to offer if they say no I have no problem with it because it's an educated decision in most times rather than an emotional decision.

If people have short or long term income issues or hate their career and they say no thanks just move on. As for income it doesn't matter what anyone else makes. It's not like anyone is going to give you any of their money. A person just has to know that there is a real possibility to make as much money as they want to make.

In itself there's nothing wrong with MLM, the problem is not many people want to sell. You have to sell a product and/or an opportunity. Just look at the product and the compensation as two seperate things. Is there a need for the product and how do you get paid? Keep it simple.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Look guys, it's really simple. A real business doesn't require you to shanghai friends and family into either buying the product or flogging the product themselves. MLM require you to essentially exploit the people in your lives either through guilting them or relentlessly buttonholing them at parties.

Those of you who are doing it just have no idea how badly the people in your life resent it. You just don't know.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,945 times
Craigslist is a place for scum artists. I saw this incredible ad that read something to the affect: Do you want to make $1000 to $1500 a week? No selling, no cold calling. 15 hours a week.

Anyway the woman who phoned me was very presentable and we talked about other things we had in common. I called this phone number she provided to me at 6 p.m. it was one of those deals where everyone introduces their selves and then I listen to people talk about how incredible this is, all you have to do is convince two people to give to you $3500, that goes to the up person and then you branch off by yourself to try to scam other people into giving you $3500. This company is legit because they call it, "gifting". How many people would fall for this? ALLOT!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
In fact, here's fresh new evidence that MLMers are indeed the dumbest, most self-unaware people on the planet.

I have a profile on LinkedIn. I am a professional with years of experience, clients across the country, mentions in the national business press, and plenty of credentials.

A few days ago, somebody asked to connect with me on LinkedIn. He was a friend of a long-time client, so I said 'sure.' The moment this guy links to me, he is bombarding me with offers to become his MLM contact in my city.

I call my client to ask about this guy and get this heavy, knowing sigh from her. "I am so sorry," she replied. "I'm about to cut him off myself. You're the third person to call me about him."

So, if you are in a MLM, think about that conversation. Because that's what people are saying about you.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAQ View Post
I agree, I just became part of a new MLM company based on nutrition products and healthy energy drinks. I enjoy the products and use them.
Cheers,
-JAQ
Sounds like Advocare. My neighbors tried to rope me into that stuff. Now I LIKE many of the products and in fact use them regularly if not daily. The stuff isn't cheap, but it IS good. But my enthusiasm for it ends there. The wife and I signed up as "distributors" but only so we could get the discount off the posted prices. We otherwise won't come within ten Texas miles of the business side, despite the prodding of said neighbors. I too subscribe to the schools of thought that say "if it's too good to be true..." and "any business that relies on getting...more sellers [as opposed to customers]...."

I got roped into one of these schemes back in my early 20's when I was poor, broke, and desperate....peddling knockoff colognes and perfumes. Never again. That was a hard lesson learned but one that will stay with me forever.

To me, MLM is just another word for "pyramid". The only difference (IIRC) is that the former has an actual tangible product (of varying degrees of quality) whereas the latter is strictly cash only. But they are otherwise identical in terms of structure, operation, and math that doesn't come out in your favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business