Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

yeah i agree. its not that common so i dont get jaded to the world in terms of not wanting to be friendly but ive run into that a few times where you meet someone like yeah ill grab a beer or hangout or whatever and its a sale pitch not a friendly beer.

what annoys me more is when people approach me in regards to business and then waste my time with an mlm meeting. i was at the post office recently with a laundry basket full of packages a guy approaches me is like what do you sell whats your business i tell him he seems impressed with teh volume of shipments i got going out starts talking business with me. my partner and i meet him and his wife for coffee and all the sudden he doesn't have a product he wants me to sell for him he has a company that sells corporate gifts and wants me to buy as gifts for my customers. thanks for wasting my time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 16,571 times
I think some people have confusion here. You can be a legit sales man, but this has nothing to do with MLMs.

All of MLMs are disguised ponzi-schemes. They are definitively illegal, but due to the disguise, they can run long before gov. shut them down.

In an MLM, you are convinced to become rich by "joining" and convincing other people to "join". When you "join", you usually buy a cheap product but with a high price tag. You get commission on people who join all the way down.

That's different from a sales man who tries to sell you a product and earn a commission. Sales man are vital, but certainly if they are going to call you when you are having sex and try to advertise for a product, that's going to be annoying. And friends/relatives are not nice if they annoy you.

You can't also compare a legitimate job to an MLM. When you hire someone (attorney, lawyer, doctor...), you pay them and you get VALUE (legal advice, medical advice...). This is different than an MLM where your ROI, by probability, is almost nil.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:10 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,468 times
One of the reasons why I deleted my Facebook page. People try to friend you so they can present you with the "opportunity".

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
I was involved with an MLM for sometime before I saw how wrong this business model is. It forces the salespeople of the MLM to really be the customers (paying an upfront fee to start, monthly fees and expected to buy expensive sales tools), exploit their personal relationships, prey on strangers in public places. You're expected to sell a "dream" and "hope" of getting rich to all of your family and friends. If someone is unable or refuses to do these things they are told the are just "unsuccessful" or "unwilling to work hard." I believe this business model should be illegal. If you hear the words "upline" or "downline," run away. It doesn't matter how good the product is because in the business model, the products DON'T matter.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 PM

my biggest beef about mlm'is is that you really can't make money selling product its all about bringing people in. ardon and fields is a new popular brand made by the people of proactive, i would love to sell their products but my beef is you cant make money selling products you make money bringing people in and i have no interest in doing that. i would be open to mlm if you could actually make money selling whatever product the mlm is supposedly all about

Old 02-23-2015, 03:11 AM

4 posts, read 4,552 times
Multi Level Marketing can take up at any point of time in life and generate income. There are thousands who take up MLM along with their main careers and then there are so many who have become millionaires by taking up MLM on full time basis and making it their prime vocation.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetalmehak View Post
Multi Level Marketing can take up at any point of time in life and generate income. There are thousands who take up MLM along with their main careers and then there are so many who have become millionaires by taking up MLM on full time basis and making it their prime vocation.
Lots of people have gotten rich being conmen as well it doesn't mean its a good line of business to get into. With MLM as with many things in life a small percentage of people do great and most fizzle out quickly. That doesn't mean its a scam but like I said in my previous post. I sign up for an MLM selling womens beauty products. The problem is there really isn't money to be made selling beauty products or the money made doing the actual activity is insignificant. The way you make money in an MLM is by suckering friends and family to come to a meeting, pay $900 for some introduction packet of sales materials and samples and then they also have to sign up for recurring billing buying $500 a month worth of samples.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
MLM is not a doable business for me simply because their products are crap or over priced and can be easily purchased elsewhere cheaper by going with a different brand. What's the point of paying $50 for vitamins when you can buy it for a few dollars elsewhere?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 939 times
My dad joined an MLM 3 years ago, and it has completely ruined our family. We're broke, all the money mom and dad had saved for me to go to grad school is gone, and moreover, my dad turns EVERY time we see each other into an opportunity to push his products, talk about how great his company is, uses me for my friends, and, what's even worse, hides behind his "business" instead of dealing with problems. He can't answer a single question about basic business though, like, how much profit he's made on average over the past three years. I've watched him lie and cheat dear friends of mine just to make a sale, as he's used me for my social group more than once, emailing and calling my friends behind my back, even when I've repetedly asked him to stop. Feel free to join an MLM if you're willing to sacrifice everything, including your family, your sense of self worth, and your values. I'm considering cutting him off completely just to get rid of the
Poisonous effects of this "highly legitimate" business model.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM

19 posts, read 27,525 times
I’ll say this…

Seeing as the OP was back in 2012…MLM and how folks work it has definitely changed in the last few years!

Yes, back-in-the-day, getting out and ‘meeting people’ was the main goal of most reps, regardless of the company/MLM they were in!

HOWEVER

Nowadays, there really is no real need to get out and bang the sidewalks!

Not while there’s Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube!

People will always be looking for ways to make money online, or diversify their current income…one way or another….it’s just one of those ‘ever-green’ niches that has been around for decades and will still be hot 20 years from now…barring a complete and utter economic breakdown!

Those who do well and make $1,000’s per month realize the potential in both adding to their down-line AND building their customer base!

These same entrepreneurs also understand how to use social media to their advantage in order to ensure when visitors come to their website(s), they’re not just ‘tire-kickers’.

With even just a little information on SEO (Search Engine Optimization), Email Marketing, Video Marketing and how to ‘Up-Sell”, it’s not uncommon to start in an MLM with just a few bucks and w/in a short time be making more money in your own business than working a regular 9-to-5!

To those who say “why should I buy high-end (insert product name here) when I can buy it cheaper elsewhere?”

The answer is because you’re putting money into your business and not someone else’s!

That’s pretty much it!

FWIW…if an ‘up-line’ is focusing too much on just adding folks to your ‘down-line’ and not building retail customers, I’d suggest finding a new mentor or worse case, a new opportunity to promote!

I’ve done MLM in the past and while it was years ago, when the time came to either get back into or do something else, I went with that ‘something else’….Affiliate Marketing…and so far, I’d never go back to doing MLM again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business