Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I sell my laptop on craigslist or ebay?
craigslist 4 44.44%
ebay 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,668,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
should i lower the price?
When you try to buy a similiar laptop from buy.com or somewhere else or try to build it yourself how much is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Custom Ordered HP dv6 Pavillion Gaming Laptop w GeForce 650M BOUGHT 9 03 12 | eBay

here's an ebay list.

I have no clue about buy.com

Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM

I have six people watching so far.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM

162 posts, read 348,932 times
It's easier to get rid of locally through craigslist than to have to deal with shipping. But there are low ballers, flakers, and tire kickers. Some are just looking to rip you off too.

Ebay will generally get you more for your item even after fees. You can charge shipping to the buyer too.

Edit: Just looked at it. Price is good.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrude1 View Post
It's easier to get rid of locally through craigslist than to have to deal with shipping. But there are low ballers, flakers, and tire kickers. Some are just looking to rip you off too.

Ebay will generally get you more for your item even after fees. You can charge shipping to the buyer too.

Edit: Just looked at it. Price is good.
True and I agree with the CL part but the same goes for eBay buyers too since most know eBay sides with the buyer not the seller so there are quite a few friends who do legit business but got burned by not-so-legit buyers.
I just sold an item, price was reasonable and so was shipping, shipping turned out to be a bit too low but what annoyed me most was the seemingly hidden "Final Value Fee on Shipping" which is nothing more than eBay profiting from it and passing the pain onto the seller or buyer. Here is why: If the seller is unaware of that ridiculously unfair fee that gets charged to seller, they take the hit, if they know about it then they bloat the shipping charge and pass the extra cost onto the buyer. eBay makes more money while one of the two ends up paying more than they should so yes, it is a sneaky, unfair fee. eBay took the easy, sneaky way of dealing with what a few crafty sellers were taking advantage of.

People should boycott this fee/eBay this they come up with a more fair and agreeable solution. I have been aware of the slightly high shipping charges when the price seemed reasonable and wondered why the sellers were being greedy. It was actually eBay's doing so, I, for one, have really minimized my eBay buying/selling. I think they really need a solid competition to make them come off their high horse.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I just sold an item, price was reasonable and so was shipping, shipping turned out to be a bit too low but what annoyed me most was the seemingly hidden "Final Value Fee on Shipping" which is nothing more than eBay profiting from it and passing the pain onto the seller or buyer. Here is why: If the seller is unaware of that ridiculously unfair fee that gets charged to seller, they take the hit, if they know about it then they bloat the shipping charge and pass the extra cost onto the buyer. eBay makes more money while one of the two ends up paying more than they should so yes, it is a sneaky, unfair fee. eBay took the easy, sneaky way of dealing with what a few crafty sellers were taking advantage of.

People should boycott this fee/eBay this they come up with a more fair and agreeable solution. I have been aware of the slightly high shipping charges when the price seemed reasonable and wondered why the sellers were being greedy. It was actually eBay's doing so, I, for one, have really minimized my eBay buying/selling. I think they really need a solid competition to make them come off their high horse.
Ebay started charging the "final value fee" on shipping many years ago so I would think all sellers would be well aware of it by now. Ebay wasn't trying to hurt "regular" sellers but WAS trying to get reasonable fees (by their standards) from those who would charge a penny for an item but then charge $20 for shipping. This happened a LOT in certain categories, like DVD boxes (those black boxes that homemade DVDs are put in). Ebay was making virtually nothing for final sales since the sale price was a penny (or a nickel if 2 people bid) and that's what the fee was calculated on.

To the OP: I would try Craigslist first, or price higher on ebay to make up for their fees. As for 6 watchers, I hope it means you have a serious prospective buyer, but keep in mind that LOTS of people watch lots of items with no plans at all to buy them. (My watch list always has a few dozen things on them because I'm interested in seeing how much the items will sell for.)

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
As for the final value fee on shipping; that's why I try to offer free shipping and build the shipping cost into the item price. Much simpler for me.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Some one went for the buy now price of $920. I am waiting for the payment. They have 2 good feedbacks and apparently only purchased twice. They tried purchasing once and didn't work b/c on my part I didnt have PayPal up yet. But they asked for my email which was not right, but think person ment to say I need to confirm my email. I sent them the invoice for shipping which happened to be USPS express. This will be the first and only time I will go through Ebay.

If the price of the sold item is $920, how much will I actually receive? I am trying to buy a Mac. I have $120 in my bank and on top of what I profit from selling the games, case, and laptop to this person.

I found a Mac laptop for a good price on Amazon and also on Newegg.com.

I'm hoping by tomorrow I can send my laptop and collect the payment for my laptop.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM

I still have not heard back from the buyer. Apparently if I didn't sell when I did and this buyer did follow through I would have had to pay the insertion fee even though I had other bidders and 3 days left on the bid. Apparently I got a promotion where that's free, but if the buyer follows through I have to pay about $80 on the final value fee.

The buyer had 2 good reviews, so I am hoping they r legit.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 PM

I heard I have to get that final value fee removed and apparently I did not get charged an insertion fee b/c of a promotion. The person has 2 more days to pay and if they don't, then I have to that fee removed and then I will never touch ebay.com ever again. Horrible customer service.

im still waiting on craigslist for some1 in case this ebay sale does not work

any advice from anyone? im freaking out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business