Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times

Advertisements

This story has been generating quite a bit of comment locally, and I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Pennsylvania McDonald's franchise sued over payroll debit cards | The Detroit News

Apparently, a local Mickey D's is paying their employees with balances on a debit card, in a manner similar to Unemployment benefits or the "flexible benefits" some employers use for health insurance co-pays, etc.

So far. no problem, but some of the employees, many of whom are young and/or not experienced in recognizing hidden charges and fees, have lost some money at non-participating ATM's etc.

Which begs the question, how much duty does an employer have to educate his employees??; Wilkes-Barre is, I regret to announce, not exactly the brightest bulb in the marquee.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-23-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
......how much duty does an employer have to educate his employees??
Not much, I don't think.

I saw the same problem when my employer forced all employees to accept direct deposit. There were knuckleheads who simply could not deal with it. They were forced to accept it.

If someone working for me could not figure out how to use a debit card they will just have to get a job somewhere else.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Not much, I don't think.

I saw the same problem when my employer forced all employees to accept direct deposit. There were knuckleheads who simply could not deal with it. They were forced to accept it.

If someone working for me could not figure out how to use a debit card they will just have to get a job somewhere else.
The fact that you can not figure out that the reason people are objecting to this policy is not because they can't figure out how to use a debit card, it's because they have to pay high fees to use it is why you don't have people working for you.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The fact that you can not figure out that the reason people are objecting to this policy is not because they can't figure out how to use a debit card, it's because they have to pay high fees to use it is why you don't have people working for you.
Heh heh...so good that you know so much about me.

You gotta read what the OP said:
Quote:
but some of the employees, many of whom are young and/or not experienced in recognizing hidden charges and fees, have lost some money at non-participating ATM's etc.
Go to a non-participating ATM, and you will pay. That's the way it works.

This statement from the article set my teeth on edge, though. I'm not sure whether it is entirely accurate. Sounds fishy, but if that's the way it is I, as an employer, wouldn't do business with them. For that matter I would do business personally, either.
Quote:
According to the lawsuit, the J.P. Morgan Chase payroll card carries fees for numerous transactions. They include a $1.50 minimum charge for an ATM withdrawal, $5 for an over-the-counter cash withdrawal, $1 to check the balance, 75 cents per online bill payment and $15 to replace a lost or stolen card.[LEFT]
From The Detroit News: Pennsylvania McDonald's franchise sued over payroll debit cards | The Detroit News
[/LEFT]
I stand by what I said. I'm willing to help these young people figure it out, but I'll only go so far. They gotta work it out themselves.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM

There might be more here than meets the eye, but I'm not certain whether one, or maybe both sides in the controversy are telling the whole story.

Personally, when I am obligated to use "plastic money" to settle a bill, I want to know precisely what I'm paying for, and I expect there to be a means by which any charges to which I did not specifically consent in advance can be avoided, And it's very much worthy of note that I'm not aware of any J P Morgan / Chase outlets in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

If these charges arose because of simple irresponsibility on the part of people who can't handle credit, then they have only themselves to blame. But if these policies were hatched in direct collaboration between an employer seeking to keep his hirelings in virtual peonage and a schlockmeister seeking to sell debt, then the two deserve everything the courts can throw at them; such action borders on the criminal.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times
I agree fully that it is the employees responsibility to learn for themselves how to use the card properly to avoid fees, but it is ridiculous that McDonalds would force them to accept their wages through a third party system like this. When I work for someone, I expect them to pay me directly, either in cash, check or through direct deposit to my designated bank account. The moral of this story is don't work at McDonalds, or any other company that tries to pull a scam like this.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Yep this is the not first nor will it be the last one to do so. Reminds me of SS not sending checks and only direct deposit. Some objected because they have no bank account; they were told to open one. Some still pay fees to cash their checks that objecedt to not being paid in cash in past.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Heh heh...so good that you know so much about me.

You gotta read what the OP said:

Go to a non-participating ATM, and you will pay. That's the way it works.

This statement from the article set my teeth on edge, though. I'm not sure whether it is entirely accurate. Sounds fishy, but if that's the way it is I, as an employer, wouldn't do business with them. For that matter I would do business personally, either.

I stand by what I said. I'm willing to help these young people figure it out, but I'll only go so far. They gotta work it out themselves.
Prepaid Debit cards cost money to withdraw cash out of the ATM. Period. Non-participating ATMS are. Educate yourself before you challege someone else's intelligence.

Last edited by jdm2008; 06-25-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I agree fully that it is the employees responsibility to learn for themselves how to use the card properly to avoid fees, but it is ridiculous that McDonalds would force them to accept their wages through a third party system like this. When I work for someone, I expect them to pay me directly, either in cash, check or through direct deposit to my designated bank account. The moral of this story is don't work at McDonalds, or any other company that tries to pull a scam like this.
First off, it wasn't McDonald's (the parent company) which came up with this idesa -- it was the local operator.

Wilkes-Barre and its suburbs (not including Scranton, Hazlreton and the downriver communities) is home to about a dozen McDonald's outlets. Ironically, Shavertown, Dallas and Trucksville -- what the locals usually refer to as the "Back Mountain" area is likely the most upscale neighborhood in the Wyoming Valley. And while I'm sure that almost any employer involved in "front-line retail" has to draw a large portion of his/her labor supply from the fringes, it's worth noting that both the lawyer heading the effort and the newspaper promoting the story are well over on the left side of the fence, and have a stake in rattling their saber.

It's an unsettling picture of an area where pockets of economic naivete' run deep and old prejudices and stereotypes linger on both sides.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Well, I'm certainly not in favor of this, but the detractors miss an important point. If you are unbanked, then cashing a check has associated costs, too. After all, check cashing services take a sizable cut as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business