Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times

Advertisements

• Items being offered do sell regularly from other sellers.
  • My asking prices are on parity with going current averages.
  • Shipping is based on flat rate USPS packages.
  • I have clear pictures.
  • I have written detailed descriptions.
  • I have been a member for over a decade.
  • I am carrying a 100% several hundred point feedback score.
The only other thing I can come up with is that I have included language to the effect that states I will get the US Attorney General and/or Local Sheriff involved in the attempt a buyer attempts to file a fraudulent claim and that all items I sell will be thoroughly filmed and photographed prior to and during the shipping process. I've had to include such verbiage because A) I HAVE been burned like this before but did not have the foresight to document everything; I KNEW I was getting hosed but I didn't have a leg to stand on because I couldn't PROVE it. And B) The audience I am selling to is NOTORIOUS for filing claims of misrepresentation/'not as advertised' for even the most minor or trivial things such as a graphic line not being perfectly arrow straight on an item being sold as "new/mint".

Is this language turning people off? How do you feel about being possibly treated as a would-be criminal even before you walk in the proverbial store if the item is what you want, at a fair price, from a seller that otherwise has solid bona fides?

Could it be that because I've stated that I'm "on" to these people the reason they are shying way-they know they won't be able to claim "score" with any of my listings?

If that's the case, then how can I sidestep this? I am prepared, ready, and willing to prosecute anyone who tries to pull a fast one. I'm assuming I can still quietly do this in the event it happens but not actually advertise it?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
^I am not sure what items you are selling, but I sometimes buy things on E-bay and if I saw something worded like that on E-bay, I think I would shy away from your item -especially if others
Quote:
The only other thing I can come up with is that I have included language to the effect that states I will get the US Attorney General and/or Local Sheriff involved in the attempt a buyer attempts to file a fraudulent claim and that all items I sell will be thoroughly filmed and photographed prior to and during the shipping process. I've had to include such verbiage because A) I HAVE been burned like this before but did not have the foresight to document everything; I KNEW I was getting hosed but I didn't have a leg to stand on because I couldn't PROVE it. And B) The audience I am selling to is NOTORIOUS for filing claims of misrepresentation/'not as advertised' for even the most minor or trivial things such as a graphic line not being perfectly arrow straight on an item being sold as "new/mint".
are selling the same items for roughly the same price.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I understand what you are saying, but worded like that, I would be a bit Leary, especially if I didn't know your background history/info...I would be afraid that it might be a scam or some kind, and would probably just move on to another listing.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I would think you are a nut and pass it up. I understand your intentions, because there are scammers out there and EB seems to attract them, but you don't need to say that ahead of tine to do it. It's not like recording a phone conversation.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Can't you just DO those things if you have to and not mention it in the listing. That seems to be what's turning people off. You don't have any problems but you don't get any buyers either.

I sell on ebay too and none of the other sellers I communicate with have anything like that in their listings. Maybe you can check with other sellers who have similar items and see how they handle it. Or just put something short, simple, and to the point. Some sellers even make it humorous like---"Now for the blah blah blah part....."

Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
It would be better to just put that you don't accept returns in the Ebay options for your listings. Do the documenting, but keep it to yourself. I also changed my listings to all fixed price with immediate payment by PayPal, so I don't have to deal with deadbeat buyers. I sell something that contains information, which is what the main value is. So, when someone decided to use my return policy (which Ebay really pushes), I realized that that was a perfect way for me to get ripped off. Because they already got the information. So I changed my listing to say no returns. In my description, I put that there are no returns because you would have already received the information, but check my feedback to see how happy my customers are. I also have 100% feedback.

Also, right under the price on the listing it says No Returns, but right next to that it says, "But you're still covered by Ebay Buyer's Protection" or however that's worded. So, the buyer still feels covered, but so am I.

There are things you can do to protect yourself, without looking like a meanie. I wouldn't buy from you with that language in the ad, even if you were the best deal. I would feel insulted, because I'm NOT a criminal type. Just my opinion.

Another thought, is your ad/listing TOO full of information? I have learned over the years that a short and really clear listing works better than one filled with tons of info, has a busy-looking page with lots of graphics, different fonts, etc. Kind of like think of the Google search page and how much nicer it is than the old Netscape page used to be with all those ads, etc. Nice and clean. Just thought I'd mention it, in case that's an issue.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I also think your disclaimer could be a turnoff .

Realistically local sheriff etc isn't going to do anything anyways I doubt it .. At least they wouldn't in my city ..

Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
stop putting language like that in your listings. the us attourney could care less about your $12 ebay item. fbi wont get involved in stuff unless its organized crime or theft in the millions of dollars so your strange rules are not only turning people off but arent protecting you anyways. yes there are bad ebayers out there but as long as you have tracking info your pretty well protected. also setup your ebay listings so that you return product price but not shipping, that will turn some people off to playing games if they not only lose shipping but also have to return a product to you. i almost thought you were joking when i read this post but i think your serious. your going way overboard, scaring good buyers and scammers wont be deterred anyway

Old 09-09-2013, 01:54 AM

78 posts, read 136,316 times
No one is going to buy your item with a threat like that included. The US attorney general or even your local police wont touch an ebay issue less then 2,500.00 or so.

Also, if you are not top rated etc your listing will be buried in the bottom of the other sellers.

You are not meeting the best match criteria either.

You did not mention how many negatives you have? What is your DSRS like? Any low numbers such as on slow shipping? communication? Items as described?

Could be you need to new product line and remove your disclaimer.

You would have to spend a ton of your own money to fight someone buying something on ebay as ebay takes the side of the buyer 90% of the time no matter what you put in your listing.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
Well, yeah, you are advertising yourself as a seller that is most likely going to be extremely difficult to deal with, even in the case of a legitimate return issue. Like many have posted above, buyers don't want to be threatened, or hassle with a potentially abusive seller, they will just hit the back button or go to the next listing and buy from a seller that will just complete the transaction with no drama.

Also, since Cassini (ebay's new search/ranking engine) is now looking at all the language in our descriptions, it may be burying you in search if it considers it a potential 'bad buyer experience'.

I don't know what you are selling, but if you photograph the serial number or some other unique code on the unit and put it in the listing using eBay's pictures, it will be recorded in case they buyer tries to return their old broken unit instead of the one they bought from you.

Also, PLEASE report any buyer that abuses the system to get free stuff. Online Customer Support While eBay may not do anything right then, the buyers account will be flagged. Your fellow sellers appreciate this.

And without disclosing your seller or product information if you don't feel comfortable with it, can I ask what the scam was? In general terms? How did you get burned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business