Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times

Advertisements

As others have stated, your "fraudulent claim" language is a total turn-off. I would imagine such a seller as real curmudgeon who store canned goods in his basement for "the coming struggle."

Also, do you have "God bless you" anywhere on your eBay page? That would also be a turn-off, for me at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 PM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
I used to be a power seller on eBay and I had no problems selling items as long as they were reasonably priced. My description where short and clear and my seller's TOS (terms of service) was short and positive.

I think I had like 2 returns out of 100's of fairly expensive electronic I sold.

As a buyer I hate ebay since I have to deal with seller's listings that are 90% garage and fluff ugh what a turn off. 1/2 a page description of the item, 5 pages fluffing up the item IT's NEW, Brand new never used great item. and 9 pages of seller's TOS wtf.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,373 times
This may be the reason: New ebay user agreement specifies that your item, once listed may NEVER show up on their search results.

New User Agreement Exposes Cassini Search Paramete... - The eBay Community

Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
I used to be a power seller on eBay and I had no problems selling items as long as they were reasonably priced. My description where short and clear and my seller's TOS (terms of service) was short and positive.

I think I had like 2 returns out of 100's of fairly expensive electronic I sold.

As a buyer I hate ebay since I have to deal with seller's listings that are 90% garage and fluff ugh what a turn off. 1/2 a page description of the item, 5 pages fluffing up the item IT's NEW, Brand new never used great item. and 9 pages of seller's TOS wtf.
Right. So many listings loaded with all kinds of jargon. I think that's why eBay has been and continues to try to force a system on its sellers to where they aren't going to be allowed to put certain things in listings. It seems that eBay is trying to move away from the garage-sale mentality they were founded upon. However, since eBay is just a selling venue and not the actual retailer, sellers should be able to set their own terms. Then again, I'm sure a lot of it has to do with eBay also needing to meet regulations and that kind of thing. On the buyer end, I would expect any seller to already know what they're doing and present a professional appearance when selling. So yeah, to the OP, if you have it stated that you have the Attorney General and the sheriff on speed dial before I order from you, and you don't have an incredibly rare item that I can't get from another seller, there would be no way I would order from you.

Some constructive advice would be to study eBay's rules and terms, familiarize yourself with the steps of eBay's resolution system, and use the "report buyer" options they have. If you suspect outright fraud by a buyer, you can report that to eBay as well. Reading the Seller Central forum in the discussion forums section will help a lot. Basically, it's better to know all of the rules ahead of time. You don't have to let them know you're "on" to them, so when you do get the non-paying deadbeats and SNAD dunderheads, you know what to do and can move swiftly and decisively to put the hammer down.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
This may be the reason: New ebay user agreement specifies that your item, once listed may NEVER show up on their search results.

New User Agreement Exposes Cassini Search Paramete... - The eBay Community

I wonder what the locations of the buyer and/or the seller have to do with striving "to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for." If there's a chance your items may never appear in a buyer's search, why waste your time?

Ebay has been slowing dying with their ridiculous 24/7 policy changes but this is the worse I've seen.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
Probably your disclaimer.

But I find ebay to not be worth it as a seller anymore. They're pretty much always on the buyers side now.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
you're basically advertising you will be a pita to deal with
why buy from a pita when you can buy the same thing for the same price from someone else?

Old 09-14-2013, 04:38 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
you're basically advertising you will be a pita to deal with
why buy from a pita when you can buy the same thing for the same price from someone else?
This. You sound like a nightmare to deal with in the event that something does go wrong. No way I'd buy from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth
But I find ebay to not be worth it as a seller anymore. They're pretty much always on the buyers side now.
I find it not to be worth it because of the high fees. I might end up selling an item for less via some other route, but end up actually getting more money in my pocket.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I would say you a seller much like the buyers you describe form what you included ;so why not buy somewhere else;plain and simple.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
So in other words, if I want to make a sale, I have to be willing to bend over just to appease the whims of some jackal who will probably never buy again?

No thanks. If that's the case, then Ebay and all the vultures that lurk there can "shove it" and I'll take my offerings to a better venue that's less hostile to sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business