Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 24,022 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice with their knowledge of a few states that I am looking into to move with my home based business in mind. I have a home based business in direct sales where I mostly do home parties/shows that I have been doing since August with not much success. Lots of others around me are having success in the same business but then it's because they are traveling to the southern states to do much of their business. That got me thinking...so I went on the company's website and pulled up a map showing how many Advisors there were for every state. I couldn't believe my eyes! No wonder they're doing great in the south..there's hardly any Advisors! I live in Michigan and we currently have 2,235 Advisors compared to 69 in Oregon and Vermont, 326 in Colorado, and 130 in Idaho. I am not interested in catching a plane to go south every time I want to do business and I would rather just up and move to build somewhere else. I did my homework and looked into how many counties per state and divided that number by the number of Advisors...Michigan has an average of 33 per county, Oregon has less than 2 per county, Colorado has 5 per county and Vermont has less than 5 per county. Along with Michigan having the worse unemployment rate and thousands of foreclosures etc., it doesn't make sense for me to stay here. I would like to pick up and move to one of these states. I have to think of the business first but the thought of more winters that are even worse than Michigans keep me from giving much thought into Vermont. My eye is more on Idaho and Oregon or Colorado. Idaho is number one in employment and is number 12 in being the safest (very important to me). Does anyone have any knowledge from a business point of view? I have to say that the business I am in is one that I truly love to do and there is much success to be had with it...I don't have much holding me here in Michigan and have little to pack up and take with me. I would have to find a place to rent for me and my 13 yr old son, dogs, cats and birds. So any knowledge on price for renting would be great too. If anyone has any thoughts on the types of people for these states I've mentioned and how polite etc they are would be helpful. From the area in Michigan that I live in now I would have to say that the area is getting bad and a lot of people here just are nice anymore so I look forward to getting away from that sort of thing. Thanks to all that help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Ok, I will play along with your silliness a bit. But only a bit.

What is an "Advisor?"

and

What is the business?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 24,022 times
My silliness? There was no silliness intended. Anyway, an Advisor is a woman within the company that showcases jewelry and helps other women choose the best for them. I am an Advisor for the company called Lia Sophia...the business is basically direct sales in which I go to someones home that has invited me to showcase the jewelry to them as well as any friends and family that they invited.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
There may be a lot of advisors in Michigan because there was and is such an unemployment problem that people are trying anything.

What you need is population with income. Do your research on cities with income levels that match the types that buy your product. Look at trends of employment (dont want to move and then find your group has no income) and growth. Also check into cost of living because you could make more and have to spend more to live.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark219 View Post
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice with their knowledge of a few states that I am looking into to move with my home based business in mind. I have a home based business in direct sales where I mostly do home parties/shows that I have been doing since August with not much success. Lots of others around me are having success in the same business but then it's because they are traveling to the southern states to do much of their business. That got me thinking...so I went on the company's website and pulled up a map showing how many Advisors there were for every state. I couldn't believe my eyes! No wonder they're doing great in the south..there's hardly any Advisors! I live in Michigan and we currently have 2,235 Advisors compared to 69 in Oregon and Vermont, 326 in Colorado, and 130 in Idaho. I am not interested in catching a plane to go south every time I want to do business and I would rather just up and move to build somewhere else. I did my homework and looked into how many counties per state and divided that number by the number of Advisors...Michigan has an average of 33 per county, Oregon has less than 2 per county, Colorado has 5 per county and Vermont has less than 5 per county. Along with Michigan having the worse unemployment rate and thousands of foreclosures etc., it doesn't make sense for me to stay here. I would like to pick up and move to one of these states. I have to think of the business first but the thought of more winters that are even worse than Michigans keep me from giving much thought into Vermont. My eye is more on Idaho and Oregon or Colorado. Idaho is number one in employment and is number 12 in being the safest (very important to me). Does anyone have any knowledge from a business point of view? I have to say that the business I am in is one that I truly love to do and there is much success to be had with it...I don't have much holding me here in Michigan and have little to pack up and take with me. I would have to find a place to rent for me and my 13 yr old son, dogs, cats and birds. So any knowledge on price for renting would be great too. If anyone has any thoughts on the types of people for these states I've mentioned and how polite etc they are would be helpful. From the area in Michigan that I live in now I would have to say that the area is getting bad and a lot of people here just are nice anymore so I look forward to getting away from that sort of thing. Thanks to all that help.
Similar situation here, been shopping for ages for a new home that I can work from. I'm a consultant for several companies but my main business, currently resides in my livingroom, diningroom, bedrooms, and even 1,000 sf of storage. I'm looking for a property with office space attached, or at least 8 car garage, or lots of sf in a basement, but not one real estate website I've found have an adaquate search capability. (Such as search by sf, garages, zoning, nationwide).

I can relocate to anywhere and run my business..

Onto your scenario. I would do some type of statistics. such as, number of businesses that you can consult in an area, number of consultants in that area, do a % basis, and the area that has the lowest % of consultants per business is probably the areas you want to focus on..

Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Okay.

Traveling sales with a tupperware party / Avon sort of setup.

Huge hint -- you will actually draw a better response being straight up with people rather than the business school marketing sleaze of calling sales inflated names such as advisors or associates. It has been so overdone it now looks a step below Wal-Mart and just a step above ghetto.

But yeah, you need folks with money, and who will part with it.

Sweetana3 is probably correct. Michigan has probably been picked pretty clean of that, by now.

Sweetana3 also gave you good advice on profiling a target -- key noting it:

1. The customer must have money.
2. The customer must be willing to part with their money for your product or service.
3. You must be able to sell the product or service for more than it costs you to provide it.

While that may seem obvious, there are a lot of business folks who miss one of those three steps, and make a mess. Part of why Michigan is what it is right now.

Application is the important part -- jmho, but I would be selling what you have to guys making oil / drilling / energy money right now. All been working LOTS of overtime, got bucks and easy to part from for Christmas presents for the Mrs. who has been stuck at home with the kids while hubby has been working 80+ hour weeks, sleeping in the back of a camper-truck. Easy mark.

Think Gillette, Wyoming, Alberta, Canada, chunks of Colorado, Houston off-shore crews.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Do keep in mind that in many places your sales work is taxable retail sales, which means you may require a sales tax license and a business location to operate from. I know that in Colorado, if you are based in Colorado and make a retail sale to a customer, that's a taxable event if you deliver the product to the customer. Even if all you do is show samples of the items and they're drop shipped to the customer, it's a sales taxable event because the home company has representation based in Colorado. It would also be a taxable sale in Wyoming, and you need a sales tax license for your retail business.

Sometimes, local zoning will not permit such a residential business use, or HOA covenants may prohibit a home-based business. So check out these items before you locate somewhere.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 AM

And dont try to outsmart your neighbors. One wrong move and any of them would turn you in. Happened in several places I lived. Not to me or from me but around me to other neighbors. Usually due to a feud.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 AM

Indy is building some live/work units in downtown area. 1900 square feet in first and basement with living units above. Dont know if all sold but interesting. Also there is a historic two story brick commercial building downtown with a living unit above. Nice for studio, or any other retail use. Less than $200,000. Not too good for walk by traffic but any other use would be fine. So the opportunities are here but you are right, they are rare.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,123 times
Come to Columbia County GA, just west of Augusta, GA. very good area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business