Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:41 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times

Advertisements

Seems like if you want to make money online then you have to sell something unique like old guitars. Also it helps if you are selling pricey items -- not little stuff that requires a lot to be sold in order to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Seems like if you want to make money online then you have to sell something unique like old guitars. Also it helps if you are selling pricey items -- not little stuff that requires a lot to be sold in order to make money.
Depends on a lot of factors. Yeah if your selling items for $1000 your going to make more than selling something for $10, however people are more hesitant to drop $1000 where as people will buy a $10 item on impulse without even thinking about it.

Some of the best businesses out there are non tangible products whether programs or ebooks where you can have your entire business automated. They buy something and its automatically dleivered you never have to do anything. On a product like an ebook or software program its 100% money in teh bank as there's no cost for intangible items aside from your time initialy setting them up

Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Depends on a lot of factors. Yeah if your selling items for $1000 your going to make more than selling something for $10, however people are more hesitant to drop $1000 where as people will buy a $10 item on impulse without even thinking about it.

Some of the best businesses out there are non tangible products whether programs or ebooks where you can have your entire business automated. They buy something and its automatically dleivered you never have to do anything. On a product like an ebook or software program its 100% money in teh bank as there's no cost for intangible items aside from your time initialy setting them up
Yeah. There's nothing like an automated sale. I have some intellectual property content that gets played on Internet radio. Fat checks just keep arriving in the mail every quarter. At this point I do absolutely nothing except cash the checks.

I know of someone who was selling custom fit costumes online for like $4,000 each. It was a knock off of a trademarked character but different enough that it wasn't trademark infringement. Imagine a blue man group suit or batman skin suit... like that. I was amazed that they were getting enough orders to make a nice living each year.

I remember hearing about the person who was selling tumbleweed and making BIG money shipping those orders out. Of course now there's all kinds of copy cats selling tumbleweed.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:45 AM

447 posts, read 743,495 times
Default Has anyone tried DS Domination

DS Domination is a program where you buy stuff on Amazon, and then resell it on E-bay. No inventory is necessary. You are just upselling the item on a different site and drop shipping it to someone else. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Yeah. There's nothing like an automated sale. I have some intellectual property content that gets played on Internet radio. Fat checks just keep arriving in the mail every quarter. At this point I do absolutely nothing except cash the checks.

I know of someone who was selling custom fit costumes online for like $4,000 each. It was a knock off of a trademarked character but different enough that it wasn't trademark infringement. Imagine a blue man group suit or batman skin suit... like that. I was amazed that they were getting enough orders to make a nice living each year.

I remember hearing about the person who was selling tumbleweed and making BIG money shipping those orders out. Of course now there's all kinds of copy cats selling tumbleweed.
Kind of a wierd niche but people who are into that dressing up like mascots or fuzzies or whatever they call them, those suits go for a decent buck.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
DS Domination is a program where you buy stuff on Amazon, and then resell it on E-bay. No inventory is necessary. You are just upselling the item on a different site and drop shipping it to someone else. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks.
Shopify does the exact same thing, very user friendly and lets you drop ship through ebay or amazon and basically automates the whole process for you.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Interesting comments. I remember an old friend that said he made money when he bought stuff, not when he sold stuff. He was allways looking for the deal and he found plenty of them. We went to an auction one year for aircraft parts and not only did we buy but he had the stuff shipped from there to the people that bought it from him. He had his customer list and knew what people were looking for. The first couple hours of the auction he had paid for our trip there and then some. This was way back in the late 80's and these deals were done over the phone. I can imaging that selling online would be that much quicker, then again everyone can enter the field from the comfort of their favorite coffey shop.

I like the idea of having a niche or some area that you the seller know better than anyone else. Make money where you know how to make money I guess is the key.

Thank's to everyone for your thoughts. Always trying to learn new things here.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Interesting comments. I remember an old friend that said he made money when he bought stuff, not when he sold stuff. He was allways looking for the deal and he found plenty of them. We went to an auction one year for aircraft parts and not only did we buy but he had the stuff shipped from there to the people that bought it from him. He had his customer list and knew what people were looking for. The first couple hours of the auction he had paid for our trip there and then some. This was way back in the late 80's and these deals were done over the phone. I can imaging that selling online would be that much quicker, then again everyone can enter the field from the comfort of their favorite coffey shop.

I like the idea of having a niche or some area that you the seller know better than anyone else. Make money where you know how to make money I guess is the key.

Thank's to everyone for your thoughts. Always trying to learn new things here.
I used to do storage auctions before they got big on tv and did things the same way. You start making connections so I would have some guys number who would tell me anytime you come across old speakers call me, another guy wanted tools antoher guy wanted guitars. I would buy a unit and do a quick dig thruogh and immediately start calling these guys to come to the facility. I could typcially unload about half a unit on the spot and then only had half a unit to move sort and sell

Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
My experience is here. I should update that now I have three different websites.

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...oney-ebay.html

Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 AM

I just started selling on Amazon. I think its interesting everyone is always griping about ebay when Amazon is much worse. Amazons fees are more than double ebays fees, also without signing up and paying money on a monthly basis to be a seller you can still sell but can't put up your own listings, you can only copy other peoples listings but can't put up an origional listing of your own.

Amazon is not clear on how sellers can protect themselves either. Apparently amazon doesn't consider delivery confirmation to be proof of delivery and will rule in favor of a buyer even if an item shows delivered which is diff from ebay as ebay will rule in favor of seller and has a clear rule of get a signature over $250. Amazon gives no guidance on when to put on a signature or what will sufice as proof an item was delivered.

Lastly Amazon will not cover losses like ebay does. on ebay if I sihp an item that shows delivered and customer claims it wasn't ebay will cover that loss for the seller instead of me since I did my part and it clearly shows delivered where as on amazon that loss comes out of my pocket.

I priced my items high to accomodate the fees probably won't have a ton in sales but figure anything additional is probably a buyer I wouldn't otherwise get on ebay or my site. Just think its funny people tear apart ebay when amazon has higher fees, less protection and worse policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business