Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:41 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My son was telling me that many of the Shark Tank deals don't actually go through, that once the shark reviews their financials, they find out they misrepresented the numbers on the show.

I also like the Profit. Marcus has tons of great advice and strategies and criticisms that you can apply to your own business. Or, it will make you happy that you're not in the sorry shape of some of the companies he deals with.
This is very true, many times the sharks will outright say there's a contingency like if we can get a deal with so and so, or as long as your numbers checkout, etc.

For many businesses or products just getting on the show gets them exposure. You can tell some people have no intention of even doing a deal with the sharks, just want to get on tv and showcase their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The Sharks are all rich millionaires, and some are billionaires.

They do not invest in bad deals.

But they do give out real business advice
and they have made many people rich.

Way more than the Profit does.

Watch and see for yourself.

The sharks admitadly say they have invested in bad ideas. Not everything is a winner, thats why its called an investment and not a gurantee. If you think mark cuban or any of the others have never lost money on a deal or bought into a flop or gotten taken advantage of you are sorely mistaken. they will even admit that themselves. I've heard mark or others say I won't get involved I got burnt on a soda deal too hard to get into stores or whatever else.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:05 PM

298 posts, read 299,333 times
Quote:

Could you please provide a source stating such. Behind the scenes article may be clarifying? Or not.

"As many as two-thirds of those televised deals never come to fruition, estimates TJ Hale, who has interviewed more than 70 participants for his show, Shark Tank Podcast."

Shark Tank: Do Two-Thirds of Deals Fall Apart? - Businessweek

Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
6th season...not bad for a failing show.
I didn't say it was failing. I gave the exact reason the show will fail, as explained by Mark Cuban.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

203 posts, read 246,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
"As many as two-thirds of those televised deals never come to fruition, estimates TJ Hale, who has interviewed more than 70 participants for his show, Shark Tank Podcast."

Shark Tank: Do Two-Thirds of Deals Fall Apart? - Businessweek

Shark Tank premiered on Aug 2009 airing 14 episodes through Jan 2010.

Season 2 had 9 episodes. Season 3 (2012) had 15 episodes.

Season 4 (2013) had 26 episodes.

Season 5 (2014) had 29 episodes.

So we have 93 episodes.

How many deals did not go through as a result of due diligence or the entrepreneur pulling out? If it didn't pass due diligence or the entrepreneur had a change of mind, then those deals should not be considered in the count.

My question would be, of those deals that PASSED due diligence with the entrepreneur partnering with said shark, did those deals close (make it to market)? ONLY those.

I think a truer picture from TJHale's podcast would show how many of the 70 contestants "benefited" from "appearing" on Shark, reflected through a notable uptick in sales after an appearance on the show. In other words, whether a contestant profits irrespective of a deal made or not. The answer depends if I'm listening from a small business entrepreneur P.O.V or a Venture Capitalist.

An example of what would be interesting to me ... list number of deals per Shark. (2013)

Break Down of Season 4 Shark Tank Investors:

Listed by the Number of Successful Investments

Mark Cuban

Total Deals Invested In: 18 New Investments
Total Amount Invested: $3,555,000.00
Personal "Out of Pocket": $2,330,000.00

Lori Greiner
Total Deals Invested In: 12 Deals
Total Amount Invested In: $2,345,000.00
Personal "Out of Pocket" : $1,745,000.00

Daymond John
Total Deals Invested In: 12 Deals
Total Amount Invested In: $1,544,000.00
Personal "Out of Pocket" : $1,144,000.00

Kevin O'Leary
Total Deals Invested In: 11 Deals
Total Amount Invested In: $2,650,000.00
Personal "Out of Pocket" : $2,025,000.00

Barbara Corcoran
Total Deals Invested In: 9 Deals
Total Amount Invested In: $1,855,000.00
Personal "Out of Pocket" : $1,142,000.00

Robert Herjevic
Total Deals Invested In: 9 Deals
Total Amount Invested In: $1,725,000.00
Personal "Out of Pocket" : $900,000.00 (what happened Robert?)

Grand Total of All Shark Tank Investments for Season 4 = $9,286,000.00
-------

Grand Total of ALL Deals Made By the Shark's for all 4 Seasons

This list is in response from a tweet @DaymomdJohnFan that gave me the idea to add the Grand Total of all the Sharks Deals to date. Even I was a little surprised at the results.

Mark Cuban = 36 totals investments
Years on the Shark Tank = 3 Years

Daymond John = 34 totals investments
Years on the Shark Tank = 4 years

Barbara Corcoran = 34 investments

Robert Herjevic = 25 investments

Kevin O'Leary = 23 total investments

Lori Greiner = 17 total investments
Years on the Shark Tank = 2 years

... Obviously some of these deals did not get completed for one reason or another, but it's still kind of interesting seeing exactly how many deals all the Sharks have made thus far.

Sourced from:
Shark Tank Success Stories: Shark Tank Final Numbers Season 4

------

I would also be interested in the same standard applied to The Profit.

The article you presented asked Do Two-Thirds of Shark Tank Deals Fall Apart? IMO The question served to draw the reader in but gave no definitive answer especially when Mark stated 60-70% of his deals go through.

Thank you for your response.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My son was saying the same thing as Mark Cuban in that article, that 60-70% of the deals made on the show actually close. I believe it was a video interview he saw on youtube with Kevin O'Leary.
That is because many of the deals are a waste of money and time and won't work.

The Sharks did not get rich doing bad investments they know the business,
and they give the losers free advice on what to do next.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 PM

The difference between the two shows is that if Marcus walks out on a deal, it's because the owners are too difficult to work with, can't be trusted, etc. As a viewer, I have no interest on helping a guy make money if he yells at his mother, wife, partner, brother, or employee for an hour, especially while he knows the cameras are rolling.

On Shark Tank, if the pitch man is polite and merely declines a fair offer, his company gets 20 minutes of free advertising on prime time TV, with no backlash.

Of course some people come off as jerks even on Shark Tank, thereby squandering their free publicity.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 PM

203 posts, read 246,517 times
^ I agree.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,911 times
Great show but the first season seemed more real than the last. One thing I dislike is how they dumb it down for middle class americans to understand. It'd be cool if he did a premium channel show for a smarter audience.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 PM

488 posts, read 819,386 times
The Profit and similar "business rescue" shows (Tabathas Salon Takeover, Bar Rescue, etc.) are fun to watch and can be informative for small business owners or those planning to start businesses. I'm not surprised at how clueless many of the business owners are...you see it all the time. No wonder the failure rate is so high. I wonder how much Lemonis (The Profit guy) has invested and how many deals he looks at before selecting the ones to be on the show. What he does sure looks fun though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business