Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 02:34 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,309,016 times

Advertisements

If an equipment costs 200K new to buy, what might be a reasonable rental rate per day or per hour etc.

I saw this tree relocation machine that can put 4 big spades into the ground and dig up a tree for relocation. I have been needing to relocate some trees, so I thought maybe I can rent one. But there does not seem to be any such business. I'm wondering if this might be a business opportunity. I have no idea how much one of those trucks cost; let's say 200K; what would be the daily rental rate?

If this is too obscure, let's say a specialty saw cost 5000 to buy new, what would be a reasonable rental rate? Feel free to make assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 03:52 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
I’ve noticed that for small projects like the one you were needing people mostly rent the service not the expensive equipment. That is, the operator comes with the equipment. On the other hand, there actually are equipment rental places but you may need to transport requiring a big truck and trailer. Usually it’s way more convenient to hire someone.

Sorry that doesn’t address your question but rather your original situation.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:45 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
I’d guess those trucks probably aren’t a prime target for rentals as I’m sure you would need a CDL to drive the thing and tree location might be above a lot of people’s skill set

Old 02-21-2021, 12:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,027,389 times
I think you're looking for too simplistic of a formula.

In reality, equipment rental rates vary depending on a lot of factors that aren't generalizable across every sort of equipment that gets rented.

Just one example...a piece of technical equipment needs to get rented at a rate to recoup costs and make whatever profit is desired before it becomes functionally obsolete or undesirable.

The same wouldn't necessarily apply to a piece of equipment that's been unchanged over decades, like a catering table/chair rental.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
The big tree moving machines are not DIY, nor even for the typical tree service. They are very specialized, and require a lot of training to operate effectively and safely. They are used mostly by places that sell large trees, such as the one in our area (below). Very few people would ever need to move a large tree.

https://bigtreesupply.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business