Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are companies today "Greedier" than those of the past (say before 1980)?
Much greedier 36 60.00%
Just as greedy 17 28.33%
Less greedy 3 5.00%
Not sure/Other 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There are no longer any band societies, the last known existing band society in Africa was the Kang san Bushman but their culture is now essentially dead.
Bunk, the latest National Geographic had a whole article on a band society of bushmen in Africa. The name slips my mind right here without the magazine. They have absolutely no leadership, and they simply live with eachother for mutual advancement. They exist right now.

Quote:
There are not any tribes that I know of that practice such, there are a number of known band societies that do though! The primary aspects of communism are practiced by these societies, most notably their notions of property (there are none) and collective ownership. Marxism is simply the effort to scale this culture to modern civilizations, but it can't scale.
Sharing primary aspects of a belief system does not make them identical. If A and B share C, that does not make A and B equivalent unless C is the only factor of both A and B. Lacking notions of private property does not make one "Communist" in the Marxist sense, no more so then believing in the existance of Jesus makes Judaism, Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Bunk, the latest National Geographic had a whole article on a band society of bushmen in Africa. The name slips my mind right here without the magazine. They have absolutely no leadership, and they simply live with eachother for mutual advancement. They exist right now.
Ugh, right like I said the Kung San Bushman. But their culture has changed tremendously over the last 50~60 years due to conflicts with African governments and African tribal cultures. They are no longer a true band society, looking at them today only gives you a partial view of how they lived in the past.

Why talk about things you have no idea about?

Quote:
Sharing primary aspects of a belief system does not make them identical. If A and B share C, that does not make A and B equivalent unless C is the only factor of both A and B. Lacking notions of private property does not make one "Communist" in the Marxist sense, no more so then believing in the existance of Jesus makes Judaism, Christianity...
No they are not strictly identical, but they are essentially identical if they share the primary tenets. And they do. Band societies are extremely similar to the sort of society Marx has in mind, of course there are some differences. Marx was thinking about modern society, but all important aspects of his thinking are just your run of the mill band society. The similarities are far more than how they treat private property though. As far as I know, Marx did not know much about band societies though. Nobody in the west really did at that time. Regardless, looking at band societies and their evolution into tribal and other cultures gives you excellent clues about communism in a modern civilization. But you are just interested in your half baked ideology, then again so was Marx.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Ugh, right like I said the Kung San Bushman. But their culture has changed tremendously over the last 50~60 years due to conflicts with African governments and African tribal cultures. They are no longer a true band society, looking at them today only gives you a partial view of how they lived in the past.

Why talk about things you have no idea about?
Unless you are an expert, you have about as much knowledge about the subject as me, which is what can be read. So get off it. I know what I read in magazines, and Im going to have to take their commentary above yours.

Quote:
Regardless, looking at band societies and their evolution into tribal and other cultures gives you excellent clues about communism in a modern civilization.
No, actually it does nothing of the sort.

Quote:
But you are just interested in your half baked ideology, then again so was Marx.
Half baked according to you? There are millions of people around the globe that take Marxism very seriously. There would be millions more of disenfranchised "capitalist" that would embrace it as well if they actually knew what it was.

In fact, the only people who embrace capitalism are the haves and the people the haves have brainwashed in to enslaving themselves with the hopeless dream of also being a "have" one day.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Unless you are an expert, you have about as much knowledge about the subject as me.....
Right, because one is either ignorant of it (as yourself) or your on expert. There is no middle ground whatsoever....

Quote:
Half baked according to you? There are millions of people around the globe that take Marxism very seriously.
And the vast majority of people believe in fairy tales, what is your point? The number of people that believe in something is irrelevant.

Marxism is half baked, perhaps you'd see that if you knew it on a philosophic level rather than an ideological one. Its a religion of sorts for you.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Fair Profit" has never been enough. Businessmen will always try to extract as much as possible from customers, workers and suppliers.

"Thou shall get as much as possible without getting caught," is a primary axiom of the Worship of Mammon.

“Lying, cheating and stealing,” are the basis of Profit says the Prophet Mammon.

“Take the money and run,” is another.

“Those that have, get more.” “Those that have less, get less.”

“Those that have nothing are irrelevant because they cannot play the game,”

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Right, because one is either ignorant of it (as yourself) or your on expert. There is no middle ground whatsoever....
No, one is either ignorant, an expert, or relies on the relay of an expert or the gathering of personal experience, like both of us. Your "I know more then everyone about everything" act is extremely boring. I wonder if you realize the only person you are impressing is yourself.

Until you have actually lived amongst bushmen, and until you have actually scoured the globe for the existance of such people, you are worthless on the empirical knowledge scale my friend. So please climb down off of your self constructed throne.

Quote:
Marxism is half baked, perhaps you'd see that if you knew it on a philosophic level rather than an ideological one. Its a religion of sorts for you.
Blah blah blah.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Until you have actually lived amongst bushmen, and until you have actually scoured the globe for the existance of such people, you are worthless on the empirical knowledge scale my friend.
This like much of what you say is silly, anybody younger than 70 can't as a matter of principle have first hand experience with them. Studying culture rarely involves direct experience as most of the cultures are dead in the first place.

Your comments are always amusing though. Instead of just admitting you don't know about something, you go on like this. Good show.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
This like much of what you say is silly, anybody younger than 70 can't as a matter of principle have first hand experience with them.
So here you admit that your knowledge is second hand......so, what makes your second hand knowledge better or more in depth then mine?

Quote:
Your comments are always amusing though. Instead of just admitting you don't know about something, you go on like this. Good show.
I dont know much about it, however, I do know enough to prove your catch all statement wrong. I never contested I was some expert, I only contested that you arent either, and are in no position to attempt to correct me.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
In the olden days, so the legend goes, companies were happy with a fair profit.

Today, it seems like a company isnt happy unless they can Mr Krab you (for the unspongebob initiated, it means sucking every penny outta you!).
The poll results speak for themselves...

As a business owner and someone who worked for a top Fortune company, I will tell you the following. Smart/Greedy people tend to find ways to accumulate money from others. Many of the successful business owners/c-level executives I know pull this off without their customers or financiers even realizing their true nature (these greedy folks put on fantastic facades).

Is this what people want? Obviously not - but it is the world we currently reside within. Just do your best at everything, stay true to your principles, and you'll do alright.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I did not read all the posts, just wanted to toss in my ideas.

I am a more of a "what the market will bear" kind of guy. Does it matter that companies are getting more now than in the past? If the majority of people are willing to pay then they have every right to it. Were you complaining when the oil companies were strugling not too many years ago and prices were very low for gasoline, or did you complain when the prices went up to the $4 and $5 a gallon range and the companies were making record profits? One oil company exec mentioned that no one was willing to help them when things were bad, and now that they were making record profits, they didn't feel bad about it one bit. People still bought gasoline too.

I am all for low prices, but think that most things are not too out of line in price now. For the things that are too high, the market talks. People stop buying and prices eventually fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business