Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 8,059 times

Advertisements

i find that calgary's housing for low income people rediculas first off all cheap property are in high crime zones which makes u feel unsafe, if u have children u wouldnt want to live there so u find a nice area but rent will cost u a arm and a leg .. if u are single renting a apartment here costs half of your income if u drive parking takes up a 1/3 more and then gas and what not take the rest which means u need to be making a min 3k a month to live in a nice area which sucks cause alot of jobs for those that cant work the 9 - 5 downtown means we are not making nearly enough to support families or our selves.. i am a tradesman how ever my trade pay is on the low end of the totem pole how ever it is what i love to do just the pay here is the same as any other city but the cost of living here is horrible .. calgary needs to look at this for things to get better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsmolson View Post
i find that calgary's housing for low income people rediculas first off all cheap property are in high crime zones which makes u feel unsafe, if u have children u wouldnt want to live there so u find a nice area but rent will cost u a arm and a leg .. if u are single renting a apartment here costs half of your income if u drive parking takes up a 1/3 more and then gas and what not take the rest which means u need to be making a min 3k a month to live in a nice area which sucks cause alot of jobs for those that cant work the 9 - 5 downtown means we are not making nearly enough to support families or our selves.. i am a tradesman how ever my trade pay is on the low end of the totem pole how ever it is what i love to do just the pay here is the same as any other city but the cost of living here is horrible .. calgary needs to look at this for things to get better

Why don't you move ?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,059 times
cause im seeing this woman and if i have to be here to be with her so be it

Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,763 times
I hope she's worth it for all the "grief and hardship" she's putting you through.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM

376 posts, read 653,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsmolson View Post
I spent 2 weeks vacationing up there in Calgary and Banf about 6 weeks ago. That is one expensive area but I think the average income there is also very high. Sounds like maybe you need to figure out a way to make more there....or move. I didn't see any areas that looked high crime...stayed downtown and walked around at night....what areas are high crime?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I spent 2 weeks vacationing up there in Calgary and Banf about 6 weeks ago. That is one expensive area but I think the average income there is also very high. Sounds like maybe you need to figure out a way to make more there....or move. I didn't see any areas that looked high crime...stayed downtown and walked around at night....what areas are high crime?
Wherever the grammar police are around the OP.

East end of Downtown is sketchy, and in general, the E/NE part of the city. High crime is a relative term. High by Calgary standards. Insanely safe and pristine by US standards.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM

51 posts, read 154,036 times
After living in Toronto, Victoria, Vancouver and Moscow, I now find that a $400,000 house is on the more affordable side. Less than 400K and I'm in heaven!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM

909 posts, read 1,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
After living in Toronto, Victoria, Vancouver and Moscow, I now find that a $400,000 house is on the more affordable side. Less than 400K and I'm in heaven!
Less than 100k is heaven for me

Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default 100,000 buys a nice RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Less than 100k is heaven for me
Out Cochrane way here in Calgary you may buy a new home, built by Calgarys' finest builder, for 300,000. (They must have viewed a few Yaletown condos, because that's what they look like).
I haven't seen a building lot on the North Shore of Vancouver for less than a million, all in. And that gives you a developed, permitted lot with no house!
The MATERIALS for home building have not come down, as wiring/glass/plumbing and extras will run you 200,000 just for that.
i.e. You cannot build a home for 100,000 to code even if you already own the lot.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 16,938 times
They have a point. Calgary City is now rising in standards. Their housing such as condos and apartments cost you a ton but of course it's worth for your family. Why don't you save money and then purchase a condo or a space to build a house? Today's trends it's getting higher and higher. All our necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary