Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 17,565 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'd like to get your advice. We are 3 person family with 8 y.o. son. My wife working in downtown area and I'm working in Harvest Hill. We have narrowed down 3 rental places but have a hard time choosing which one should we choose. Ideally we'd like to rent a 3 bedroom house with backyard where the extra bedroom can be used for guest and our son can play at the yard.

Our son school is on the same bus line for my wife to get to her office. So, my wife usually took the bus and dropping off our son at school before she get back on the same bus continuing her commute to the office. The same situation in the afternoon when she got off from the office and picking up our son.

We have 1 car which I use to get to the office. I'm planning to move to a different company and have been looking for a few months without getting any interview much less job offer. That said, not sure if I able to look for new job in a near future due to economic situation and not sure where I'll end up working. Could be somewhere where I need to drive or in downtown where, depending on where I live, I can just take the train. The following are our options:

1. 2 bedroom duplex for 1,450 including utilities. Covered garage, not walkable to the train station but walkable for 13 minute to our son school. Located at the same bus line to son's school and wife's office. 2 min walk to bus station.

2. 2 bedroom duplex for 1,650 fully furnished, including utilities and internet. On the street parking, not walkable to the train station but walkable for 9 minute to school. Located at the same bus line to son's school and wife's office. 3 min walk to bus station.

3. 4 bedroom duplex for 1,500 excluding utilities. 2 bed main floor, 2 other in basement. Basement has its own bathroom, no kitchen, but has sink and countertop. On the street parking, 8 minute walk to train station (where the bus to son's school and wife's office departed). Current tenant subscribe with easymax's enmax program and pay $250 flat per month for utilities. Landlord said she'll consider to allowing her tenant to rent one of the bedroom to someone else to help paying the rental. Located on another bus line which can go to son's school as well though has to walk much longer (2X) than the the other bus.

These 3 places are within our budget and the area that we wanted to live in.

Anyone with good idea on how should we choose our next rental place? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 11:46 PM

5 posts, read 4,640 times
Hi there,

Sounds to me as if you are doing OK. Wondering why you are planning on changing jobs. With both you and your wife working I think you will be very lucky to find a job that is in the same geographical area as your wife's job, your son's school and your home. Good luck though.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:03 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,634,797 times
My suggestion: go with #2 because of the amount of space.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 17,565 times
We are indeed go with #2 Meemur. We are even able to negotiate a much lower price As to why I want to changing job? Because I don't like my current job and the company I'm working for but it seems like I'll stay where I am now much longer due to not being able to find a better job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary