Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM

67 posts, read 175,454 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job in Calgary(IT sector) and have some questions

1) Do ya have sales tax?
2) I believe, after talking to the recruiter, that the job is in downtown.
how is public transportation around town?
3) My budget at least for the first year is gonna be around $850, are there any apartments one would recommend either in town or around town?
4) Does anyone race RC cars? if yes, where is the closest track?
5) I play softball and golf... does anoyone play either? If yes.. how is the softball environment/golf courses?
6) When does winter start?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post

1) Do ya have sales tax?
3) My budget at least for the first year is gonna be around $850, are there any apartments one would recommend either in town or around town?
5) I play softball and golf... does anoyone play either? If yes.. how is the softball environment/golf courses?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Seriously Mike. You're in IT and you didn't use google to find this stuff out??

Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM

67 posts, read 175,454 times
I did as far as city infom and stuff.. but asking for opinions from people that live there..

Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

1) Do ya have sales tax? No sales tax in Alberta, but everyone has 5% GST in Canada

how is public transportation around town? Public Transport is good, the C-Train is great, but crowded. Buses to the far burbs can be spotty

3) My budget at least for the first year is gonna be around $850, are there any apartments one would recommend either in town or around town? That would be tight.

4) Does anyone race RC cars? if yes, where is the closest track? Don't know

5) I play softball and golf... does anoyone play either? If yes.. how is the softball environment/golf courses? Lots of both.

6) When does winter start? Too soon, and ends too late. But as a rule, you can count on snow in May and October. Thus is the golf season as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
RL0

2 posts, read 6,681 times
1) Do ya have sales tax?

We have GST (5%). Alberta does not have PST.

Good, buses show up every 15 minutes, 30 minutes on the weekend. Many train stations for the c-train, which are now safer. There are police and they have tons of lights. You do here the occasional horror story, though.

Good luck, ha. We pay 1500 dollars for a bungalow close to downtown. If you find some roomates or just rent a room, you would be fine.

No idea. We have Race City, which might be what you're looking for.

We have many fields and public/private golf courses.

When does it end? LOL. Starts to get cold September/October and we might not see the ground until may. We also have chinooks. Try googling them, I don't want to explain them wrong. Right now we had a chinook and it's +10, but icy outside. Gorgeous! One year we had a snow storm in July. It really varies.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
you albertans are lucky we have 7% pst and carbon tax on gas we got screwed here I am paying a tax to fight global warming that does not exist on my heating bill and eveytime I fill up I am paying it we are having some real warm weather here in van it's been 8-10 degrees all week and is still does not freeze at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary