Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Santa Clarita, 30 miles north of Los Angeles, is conservative.

City of Santa Clarita : Home
Maybe more conservative than Los Angeles in general but Santa Clarita is in LA county and culturally\ politically that is a very liberal part of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,161,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Maybe more conservative than Los Angeles in general but Santa Clarita is in LA county and culturally\ politically that is a very liberal part of California.
Yep... so unfortunate that it is.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Yep... so unfortunate that it is.
Of-course that is a matter of opinion! But with the glaring exception of Orange county, all of Southern California is considered liberal in comparison to the nation as large.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Of-course that is a matter of opinion! But with the glaring exception of Orange county, all of Southern California is considered liberal in comparison to the nation as large.
I'm not so sure about that. San Diego is moderate at best and that's only a recent change. SD county is still very conservative. Think, Lakeside, Ramona, Santee, Escondido, Poway etc. These are still staunchly conservative areas, perhaps more so than the rather conservative San Gabriel Valley.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Guess you didn't see that Prop 8 "how they voted" map.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM

206 posts, read 416,616 times
This map from the latimes gives you the actual percentages-so it gives a better feel.
Proposition 8 and Proposition 22: A tale of two votes - latimes.com

LA county was very close 50.4 vs 49.6
Orange county on the other hand was 57.25 vs 42.75
San diego was actually better at 53.98 vs 46.02%-about the same as Ventura county.
Imperial county on the other hand was 70.05 vs 29.95. So there is a difference between Imperial and LA.

As it is with such issues the older folks are the ones against it. Traditional values. I don't think a single bay area county voted for it. So yes socal seem to be a bit more conservative than norcal.

Then you have Mendocino and Humboldt county which aren't liberal per se-but more of the libertarian streak. Well as in don't wan't govt in my business types who were heavily against it. I love those two counties-not extremely left, but just different.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
My point still stands: If, as Mr. Sur stated, "all of Southern California is considered liberal" was true, those numbers would be vastly different.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:12 PM

206 posts, read 416,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My point still stands: If, as Mr. Sur stated, "all of Southern California is considered liberal" was true, those numbers would be vastly different.
Technically no. According to conventional wisdom, liberals are supposed to be for big govt.
But when it comes to private issues, it always seem to be the conservatives/republicans who are in favour of big govt. They use the govt to get right into your bedrooms. Be that in case of gay marraige or the use of stem cells or even life and death decisicions regarding your spouse who has been comatose for over a decade(Terri Schiavo) and abortion. In UT if you have a miscarraige you can be thrown in jail-or at least prove you didn't do it on purpose. I think they modified it somewhat later.

So I am always perplexed by this group that always complain about big govt and yet have no qualms about using big govt to take away the rights/control/deny the rights of anyone that does not confirm to their idea. The TX republicans just adopted a platform calling for the recriminalization of sodomy. They wan't to go in people's bedroom and arrest them-which they did and the case wen't all the way to the supreme court and they ruled against them. Now they call on congress to remove this issue alone from the jurisdiction of the courts. That to me is big govt. Might as well become like N.Korea that has a radio blasting govt propoganda on what is right and wrong in all houses-instead of letting their citizens think and act for themselves.

Now Mendocino and Humboldt county I would consider to be true conservatives. They really are folks who don't want the govt in their business and vote accordingly too. I actually lean more that way.They are not necessarily liberal.

Defnitions can vary on conservative and even what big govt means. Mendocino and Humboldt county folks are more honest..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Exactly and those numbers for SD County are the way they are due to the city of SD being less conservative than it once was. The county keeps this area quite conservative.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
San Diego is a bit of an anomaly as a city because of the high proportion of active duty and retired military. It also has a smaller black community than L.A. or San Francisco. It's all about demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California