Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times

Advertisements

It is hard to believe but farmworkers in California do not receive overtime pay after 8 hours of work unless their individual employers provided it. The state legislature changed that with a new law requiring all agricultural companies to pay overtime wages. Can you believe that people who work out in the heat picking vegetables, fruit and nuts have not had the same salary benefits other Californians have? Now governor Schwarzenegger must sign the bill and there is a chance he may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It is hard to believe but farmworkers in California do not receive overtime pay after 8 hours of work unless their individual employers provided it. The state legislature changed that with a new law requiring all agricultural companies to pay overtime wages. Can you believe that people who work out in the heat picking vegetables, fruit and nuts have not had the same salary benefits other Californians have? Now governor Schwarzenegger must sign the bill and there is a chance he may not.
Yes! I believe it. Sorry, but if the working conditions don't meet their needs, wants and desires, do something else or better yet, stay home.

It's hard to believe but soldiers putting their lives on the line, sometimes 24/7, don't get paid overtime and when I enlisted as a Private E-nothing we made $87.90 a month whether we needed it or not. There was a little shooting war going on called Vietnam and most of us were sent there we were earning $96.90-100.00 a month. As a junior officer (2nd and 1st LT) I made $303.90-420.30 a month.

Sorry, SUR. I know they work hard under sometimes lousy conditions but my sympathies stop just short of my wallet. I also know many farmers/ranchers who pay much better. It's kinda like the choice between flipping burgers and getting an education and real career.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes! I believe it. Sorry, but if the working conditions don't meet their needs, wants and desires, do something else or better yet, stay home.

It's hard to believe but soldiers putting their lives on the line, sometimes 24/7, don't get paid overtime and when I enlisted as a Private E-nothing we made $87.90 a month whether we needed it or not. There was a little shooting war going on called Vietnam and most of us were sent there we were earning $96.90-100.00 a month. As a junior officer (2nd and 1st LT) I made $303.90-420.30 a month.

Sorry, SUR. I know they work hard under sometimes lousy conditions but my sympathies stop just short of my wallet. I also know many farmers/ranchers who pay much better. It's kinda like the choice between flipping burgers and getting an education and real career.
So a person flipping hamburgers gets overtime pay after 8 hours of work but not a farmworker? So how is that even justified? Sounds very biased with strong racist overtones to me.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Stop looking for racism in everything you read you young dufus.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
What group overwhelmingly does the majority of the farm work? Mexican-Americans. These workers could not even form unions until the state finally allowed it. To his credit, Schwarzenegger signed laws that required agriculture to provide shade stations after dozens of deaths during a particularly bad heat wave a few years ago. It is easy for Californians to overlook the working conditions of the poor people who work very hard in the fields especially when they are Latinos. That's why I raise the possibly of racism and it think it is justified.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Right on and thank you, ya old Jarhead! Exactly! Tried ta rep ya but need to spread it around, I guess.

Methinks our young poster uses the race card as an excuse.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
So a person flipping hamburgers gets overtime pay after 8 hours of work but not a farmworker? So how is that even justified? Sounds very biased with strong racist overtones to me.
You most convienently missed or ignored the word, "choice."

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-02-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,361 times
California is the only state that even required any overtime pay for field workers. All other states do not have that requirement at all.

It was interesting that the UFW did not lobby to get this passed, they feel overtime pay should be part of contract negotiations.

Also, farming is like any business and will do things to manage costs and compete with other states that do not require overtime. Other businesses use many part-time workers (instead of full-time) to avoid the costs of benefits, overtime, etc.

I will not be surprised if some farms shift to more part-time field workers to avoid higher overtime pay.

We may start hearing about individual field workers making less total income because they no longer were full-time.

The law of unintended consequences may come into play again.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:12 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You most convienently missed or ignored the word, "choice."
And he also conveniently ignored the fact that the hamburger flippers in this state are overwhelmingly of the same race as the farm workers. They both can't pronounce the "j" in yob... I mean job.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
And he also conveniently ignored the fact that the hamburger flippers in this state are overwhelmingly of the same race as the farm workers. They both can't pronounce the "j" in yob... I mean job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California