Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As if L.A. is the entire state.

What are the figures re: the Bay Area?

Also, that fails to take into account how many Northeasterners moved to California in the earlier years of the decade, both before and during the RE bubble. Not to mention those who moved in the '90s (esp. to SF).

As for Northeasterners moving to the far north, or the Central Valley, or the IE, the number's probably negligible, but I don't know for sure.
And who really gives a good rat's patootie? But for "natives," Californians originally all came from back east. St. Joseph, MO was the door to the "wild west" and look, CA's still standing. Might be a bit unsteady right now but hasn't fallen into the drink yet!

Memo to Self: Cancel the western Arizona land purchase. Don't think it will be ocean front property anytime soon!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
people fear transplants from back east here. they dress better, speak better, are more classy, and usually went to better universities and have much more repsectable and world class credentials.

Californians, who at their root, are a working class ho-hum folk, and thnik business cusual entails flip flops and cargo shorts, usually do not like to compete for jobs with these types.
The northeastern attitude, exemplified.

I knew I was right.

And don't confuse loathing with fear.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Better invasion from the Northeast than Mexico.

Unfortunately Mexico is winning.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times
Heh. As long as youse guys allow your public education system to crumble, you'll be seeing a lot more transplants from the (better educated) northeast.
My DH worked for a bank in CA and very few of the top managers were from the Golden State. The best qualified workers were imported from the northeast in general and New York in particular. They work harder than Californians and complain less about it.
I loved SoCal when I lived there but was concerned whenever I heard how hard it was to fill the 'good jobs' available with qualified, well-educated and trained Californians.
Sorry, but dat's da way it iz.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I must be a mistake. My parents were both from New Rochelle, NY, just north of NYC, neither had really appreciable eastern accents and I had the poor taste to be born in San Diego, thanks to the Marine Corps.

Never mind that my father spent at least half of his 23 year career in CA, retired there and my parents lived the bulk their remaining 30 or so years there, I guess they were still CA immigrants, albeit legal, while I was a native by accident of birth.

Funny! I spent over half my life in CA and was never aware that it was being over-taken by nor'easterners. It always seemed like more Mexicans and South Americans with sizeable contingents of Asians, Middle Europeans and Near Easterners to me.
Hey, my family was from Eastchester (since the 1850's and still there).
How do you like living in the Ozarks? We like Oregon but think it's more money than we want to spend to stay here and are checking out alternatives.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Hey, my family was from Eastchester (since the 1850's and still there).
How do you like living in the Ozarks? We like Oregon but think it's more money than we want to spend to stay here and are checking out alternatives.
Well, other than this summer being unseasonably brutal, we love it here. The natives are friendly and welcoming. Usually the weather is pretty comfortable. Snow is minimal (first snow was on Christmas Eve last year (3-4" and gone in as many days) The same for following falls. The wildlife and scenery are beautiful and entertaining and the peace and quiet comforting. The cost of living is much less than on the left coast and there's really nothing, other than family and some friends, that we miss. We're also retired which makes a difference.

Your post prompted me to do a bit of extra research and I ran across a branch of the family on my mother's mother's side that I never knew existed. It brings German into the Heinz 57 mix thanks to my 10th great grandfather and places my family in New York as early as 1702 when the German name was anglicized from Kouwenhoven to Conover. Fascinating!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
From: SOI Tax Stats - Free Migration Data Downloads (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=212718,00.html - broken link)

I think it would be interesting to see where people come from/go to by US Census defined regions (Northeast, South, Midwest, and West) (source: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf)

West CA, NV, AZ, NM, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, AK, HI
South: TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, AL, TN, KY, WV, MD, DE, DC, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL
Northeast: PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME
Midwest: ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH

Domestic Inflow into California by Region (2007-2008)
Total: 612,950 (returns + exemptions)

West: 215,816 (35.2% of California's inflow)
South: 194,021 (31.7% of California's inflow)
Midwest: 109,332 (17.8% of California's inflow)
Northeast: 93,781 (15.3% of California's inflow)

Domestic Outflow out of California by Region (2007-2008)
Total: 759,776 (returns + exemptions)

West: 328,361 (43.2% of California's outflow)
South: 259,657 (34.1% of California's outflow)
Midwest: 96,569 (12.7% of California's outflow)
Northeast: 75,189 (9.8% of California's outflow)

Unsurprisingly, most out of state migrants into California come from the West or the South, with huge minorities coming from the Midwest and Northeast. However, for the most part, almost half of all Californians who leave the state of California leave to other Western states, with a little more than a third going to the South. Only a little more than 1/5 of all Californians go to the Midwest and Northeast whenever they leave out of state.

Watch out Western states! We're coming for you!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I'm sorry. My grandfather DIDN'T fight for the US during WW2...my uncles didn't fight FOR the US during the Vietnam war, and my cousins DIDN'T fight for the US right now in Iraq.

Want to come kick me out of the country? I dare you to try. How does it feel to know that no matter what you do, people like me are living here, breathing here, and breeding here? Dissapointing huh? The only way you can strip me of my citizenship is to strip it out of my dead, cold hands. Too bad you're probably another net-hero and probably won't do anything.
You should be sorry.

I'd love to kick you out but that's illegal. I'd actually get in trouble for it. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: let's not have implied threats

Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Watch out Western states! We're coming for you!
Like a PLAGUE!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Well, yes, obviously, since I've only lived in the US for 8 years. Of course in that time I've been fully employed, pay more than my fair share of taxes and owned a home, which is more than you can say for a lot of people who grew up here.
Probably on CREDIT. If you were that good, you would have made something of yourself in your homeland but no, you had to escape. I don't care if you pay taxes, you are one more person in an overpopulated country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California