Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Oh and PS, gays are horrible in many cases themselves when they are the majority.

When my wife and baby went for a weekend to Palm Springs and ate out. All the gay couples at various places would be staring daggers at us. That suprised us. Seemed childish to me.
I don't approve of anyone staring daggers at you....but now you know how we feel. Most of us have experienced those "daggers" a lot more often than you.....and much worse from the time we were very young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Oh and PS, gays are horrible in many cases themselves when they are the majority.

When my wife and baby went for a weekend to Palm Springs and ate out. All the gay couples at various places would be staring daggers at us. That suprised us. Seemed childish to me.
Maybe your baby was acting childish and disturbing the other diners?.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
I too am in Colorado, wondering the same question. Been in Cali from NY need to get back to beach at a slower pace than LA or San Fran. Am considering Eureka, Crescent City . . .

Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
If you're planning to move to either Eureka or Crescent City (the latter a really bad choice) bring a job with you. Your problems will be economic. No one cares if you're gay. Research the other posts on the forum. There is very little in the way of a gay "scene" here but on Sept 9 at Arcata Ball Park they're having the second annual Bat'nRouge game, a drag softball game where everyone including our DA wears dresses and everyone has a good time. Sponsored by the Sisters of Indulgence or an affiliate. Come enjoy! And spend some money while you're here.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,262 times
Default Retirement?

I am retired lesbian looking for a nice place to retire to. I want cooler weather. Live in Texas now - 107 yesterday! Looking at Eureka and Coos Bay, OR. Is there any life for a single lesbian in Eureka? Also how is the crime rate?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
I was born and raised in Humboldt county, and spent 20 years in Colorado. I have known both of them very well over the years. In Eureka, if you don't flaunt your homosexuality, it should be no

If you think Colo Springs is anti gay and have trouble there, you will find it is no better in Eureka. In fact the springs, is more liberal than Eureka.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMel View Post
I am retired lesbian looking for a nice place to retire to. I want cooler weather. Live in Texas now - 107 yesterday! Looking at Eureka and Coos Bay, OR. Is there any life for a single lesbian in Eureka? Also how is the crime rate?
Hi Texas -- I am not gay ... I do not live in Eureka. However, I have a son who lived there and I spend time there nearly every year. I like it very much. Eureka and Arcata (even better) are very liberal and there are certainly gays there. That said, you would do well to consider Guerneville, California, further south, instead, imho.

Guerneville is about an hour and a half north of San Francisco, and referred to by the Bay area gay community as "the Gay Riviera" -- a bit of an over-reach, but ... It is not a Gay town, per se, but is an entirely "out" town, with gay-owned businesses, a strong gay population, a summer gay festival -- and much nicer weather than either Texas or Eureka . It can occasionally get hot in Guerneville in summer, but mostly it is in the mid-80's with low humidity. Winters it stays mid-50's to 60's with a month or two of substantial rainfall, but not as much as Eureka in days of repetitive gray. Eureka is lovely, but rarely hits even 70 degrees at the height of summer.

Guerneville sits along the Russian River. Actually has real beaches. Swimming. Canoeing. Fun. Other towns along the Russian River are similarly liberal and open / out. You would be within easy reach of Sebastopol and Healdsburg, as well, for even more social options and shopping but still small and characterful. You would also be about the same distance (30 minutes) to Bodega Bay and Tomales Bay for actual seacoast recreation.

Good luck in your search.

Gay Russian River :: Sonoma County's Gay Playground
Guerneville, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guerneville's Visitor Website
//www.city-data.com/city/Guerne...alifornia.html

Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I was born and raised in Humboldt county, and spent 20 years in Colorado. I have known both of them very well over the years. In Eureka, if you don't flaunt your homosexuality, it should be no

If you think Colo Springs is anti gay and have trouble there, you will find it is no better in Eureka. In fact the springs, is more liberal than Eureka.
And yet Humboldt County voted No on Prop 8.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,262 times
Thanks for the information. Guerneville sounds very interesting if it is not too expensive for a retired college teacher.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMel View Post
Thanks for the information. Guerneville sounds very interesting if it is not too expensive for a retired college teacher.
Expensive is a relative concept. There are many places in California that are not expensive by comparison to coastal California. Guerneville is probably one of the very least expensive places I have found near the coast. It has a very wide range of properties from down right cheap fixers in the $100K range -- up to $million dollar estates.

That whole section of the Russian River is in a canyon with steep sides. If you find the area appealing and decide to look for properties, you'll find that there are basically three tricks to watch for:
1. flood zone properties, because the river floods fairly often and sometimes very seriously (but doesn't flood every year)
2. sunshine is limited in a lot of hillside properties due to the steep canyon rise and the abundance of tall trees (lots of redwoods too ...)
3. many of the low cost properties that are intriguing by description because they boast "out of flood zone" are on really steep lots with extremely narrow one-lane access and nearly no parking options.

It is a seriously cool eclectic community. Very high probability you would like it a lot -- IF you can find the right place to live (assuming you are looking to buy?) There are lots of places for sale usually.

Don't overlook the nearby towns of Forestville, Monte Rio, Fort Meeker, and Occidental. They are all fairly close and liberal in personality. Guerneville is just the most active and has the greatest number of businesses, beach, festival, activities. Forestville has no town center, just lots of homes scattered in the -- well, forest Occidental is the furthest from Guerneville, on the way to Bodega Bay and the coast ... a bit more expensive, but very nice and has a small, quaint business street. Fort Meeker is between Monte Rio and Occidental and has some inexpensive buys at times -- and it is on the "Occidental Highway" which is well known as a winding, scenic two-lane drive -- but it also has a really wet micro-climate in winter ... heavy rains make it through the hills in there from the coast.

Anyway, dynamite area for your profile. Gay friends of our all the way up in Puget Sound know about the Russian River community for its open welcoming ambiance to all. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California