Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 49,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I've dated a few guys that live here, that came from California and they were just flat out rude and mean. And 1 was so damn snobby I just wanted to slap the s*** out of him!! Why is that?? Why do you guys have to act like that??

I'm not trying to offend anyone and I'm not mad or anything. I'm just damn curious about you folks.
I feel like that sometimes. I am originally from ol Miss. and grew up in South Central Los Angeles. I travelled extensively when I was growing up, joined the Air Force and travelled, got kick Butt live-in nanny jobs and travelled and even though I am based in south west Missouri people are the same everywhere. We just do it in different ways.

I.E. Whenever I move to a different state or country I meet a--holes who will not speak when they see you and act afraid. After all of this, I don't think that it is because I am black. I think that it is just life. If you pay attention, people can be rude regardless of where you live. You cannot think that everyone in one place can be a jerk. How would a whole state thrive if everyone is antisocial?

I just attribute it to overcrowding, job stress, etc.

Every time that I tell anyone anywhere that I grew up in Los Angeles (no matter where I am) they automatically say that they would never want to go there because:" the women are women and half the men are too." If that were true, why is that more babies are born in Los Angeles alone everyday that two regular sized states? Also, they think that we all swagger around the streets with ouzzies. (I am a female air force vets and guns scare the h--- out of me.)

I am from a huge family and I am proud to say that we all have two sides depending on what we are going through. It seems that you have to be a little more on your game in some of the bigger cities. Sometimes the bad side shows. But you never know. Maybe someone is pissed off before they even come into contact with us.

Sorry for the negative guys that you encountered, but remember that people usually have the same (or similar) petty jealousies, stresses, anger, reactions to life's everyday dings on our psyche.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Having lived in Cali, Hawaii and New Zealand...I have to agree that Cali people in general have a tendency to be high-strung, pretentious and egotistical compared to the other places I have lived. It seems like it is all about image and honestly I know some beautiful girls who like cocky bastards and have let go of some really genuinely nice guys. This could be driving the guys to be this way...it's the girls here who like that. There is also a difference in the guys here in LA who are from out of state. They are MUCH, MUCH nicer. I think once people are here too long they become jaded...too concerned with image, cynical, cocky and fake.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 PM

9 posts, read 73,177 times
just had to answer this one...Texans have been raised on Southern hospitality. Californians for the most part live in an overpopulated state with crammed freeways and learn quickly how to be assertive, and loud leading to impatience and bad attitudes. Other than that we have no problem. 2 CA men that treated you badly out of the 20 million here is a pretty low statistic. Keep trying we should have one good one in there. Have you ever heard, all the good men are taken, married or gay? That could be your problem too. Good luck finding your future husband. Mine is a Californian and treats me great so there is one taken and married.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM

411 posts, read 1,601,289 times
My daughter married into a Malibu, Hollywood-connected family. To their credit, they left the area and bought a ranch on the central coast to get away from the tinsel.

Apparently they couldn't quite leave all their friends behind, however. At her recent wedding, one of the mom-in-law's friends was chatting with me and her overall appearance was fascinating. She had the figure of a fourteen-year old, perfect blonde hair in a pageboy and so much plastic surgery on her face that she couldn't properly close her botox-injected lips. Her eyes were pulled so far back she couldn't put makeup in the far corners - there weren't any.

During our conversation, she told me they had three houses; one in Malibu, one in Beverly Hills (where I have all my appointments, she informed me) and the ranch in Los Olivos. She didn't like Malibu anymore because the people were 'so plastic'.

I could only nod in silent agreement.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM

128 posts, read 638,365 times
Default Turn Offs are Turn Offs and they come in many colors

She had the figure of a fourteen-year old, perfect blonde hair in a pageboy and so much plastic surgery on her face that she couldn't properly close her botox-injected lips. Her eyes were pulled so far back she couldn't put makeup in the far corners - there weren't any.

During our conversation, she told me they had three houses; one in Malibu, one in Beverly Hills (where I have all my appointments, she informed me) and the ranch in Los Olivos. She didn't like Malibu anymore because the people were 'so plastic'.

This is my reply to the above:

Last weekend we went to a "laid back" California restaurant on the Central Coast to hear Jazz. Lime green Birkenstocks are the high fashion statement here. Seated at our table was a man who was about 70 and on a date with a woman who was about 55. He opined and held court about the ostentatious display of wealth from the Cal Poly students, who, he said, got an average of 1,000 per month for leisure spending allowance (how he knew this about the entire campus we had no idea). Then he went on to disparage Santa Barbara, where we told him we were moving, digressing on the "snobs" and "pretentiousness." When I told him we had just come back from a lovely Calabasas visit to see my niece and her new baby, he carried on also about his visceral dislike of Los Angeles, and how much he "hates it" and the people who live there. Continuing in his unpleasant, and opinionated way, he then attacked the "intruders" who were moving into the Central Coast area, trying to make it look like every other California town, by upgrading and development. He then tore apart the new Avila Beach town and said next thing you know, you'll have to be good looking to go there.

As we sat there listening, we took a real good look at him. His shoes were so filthy that it looked like he came right from mucking out the horse stalls without a change. His hair was greasy and his nails dirty. He obviously did not take care of his teeth, and had a good case of oral gum disease, his gums red, and receding, and his teeth yellow and stained. He stunk of cigarettes. His girlfriend didn't say much, but her appearance spoke volumes. She was unkempt, and looked like she cut her own hair with the ax from the barn. It was half grey and half brown and lifeless, like the brown of a river rat. Her clothes were badly maintained, ill fitting, and crumpled. I'd say she was only 55 or so, but definitely on her way to dentures as well.

I don't know what's worse to look at , a snob with a phony appearance which makes you shake your head, or a snob with a "natural" appearance which makes you want to move .....and I mean move......like out of the area, if this is what the people are like who live here.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDiamondGirl View Post
Last weekend we went to a "laid back" California restaurant on the Central Coast to hear Jazz. Lime green Birkenstocks are the high fashion statement here. Seated at our table was a man who was about 70 and on a date with a woman who was about 55. He opined and held court about the ostentatious display of wealth from the Cal Poly students, who, he said, got an average of 1,000 per month for leisure spending allowance (how he knew this about the entire campus we had no idea). Then he went on to disparage Santa Barbara, where we told him we were moving, digressing on the "snobs" and "pretentiousness." When I told him we had just come back from a lovely Calabasas visit to see my niece and her new baby, he carried on also about his visceral dislike of Los Angeles, and how much he "hates it" and the people who live there. Continuing in his unpleasant, and opinionated way, he then attacked the "intruders" who were moving into the Central Coast area, trying to make it look like every other California town, by upgrading and development. He then tore apart the new Avila Beach town and said next thing you know, you'll have to be good looking to go there.

As we sat there listening, we took a real good look at him. His shoes were so filthy that it looked like he came right from mucking out the horse stalls without a change. His hair was greasy and his nails dirty. He obviously did not take care of his teeth, and had a good case of oral gum disease, his gums red, and receding, and his teeth yellow and stained. He stunk of cigarettes. His girlfriend didn't say much, but her appearance spoke volumes. She was unkempt, and looked like she cut her own hair with the ax from the barn. It was half grey and half brown and lifeless, like the brown of a river rat. Her clothes were badly maintained, ill fitting, and crumpled. I'd say she was only 55 or so, but definitely on her way to dentures as well.

I don't know what's worse to look at , a snob with a phony appearance which makes you shake your head, or a snob with a "natural" appearance which makes you want to move .....and I mean move......like out of the area, if this is what the people are like who live here.
That is one funny description!!! ROFLMAO Good points, too. And what a character, "Avila Beach ... next thing you know, you'll have to be good looking to go there." OUCH!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:06 PM

104 posts, read 688,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I've dated a few guys that live here, that came from California and they were just flat out rude and mean. And 1 was so damn snobby I just wanted to slap the s*** out of him!! Why is that?? Why do you guys have to act like that??

I'm not trying to offend anyone and I'm not mad or anything. I'm just damn curious about you folks.

Cus maybe they moved to CA from NY or NJ...LOL

Old 08-03-2007, 04:15 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
How many guys from California have you dated? 20? Or is this assumption based on a CA few men?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 80,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDiamondGirl View Post
She had the figure of a fourteen-year old, perfect blonde hair in a pageboy and so much plastic surgery on her face that she couldn't properly close her botox-injected lips. Her eyes were pulled so far back she couldn't put makeup in the far corners - there weren't any.

This is my reply to the above:

Please, oh please tell me there is something in between! I moved here (Carlsbad) from RI last December and I'm having a bit of trouble with the obsession with appearances here, be it the way one looks or the type of car they drive, etc. I am having difficulty finding like minded souls to whom substance is more important than all else. Mind you, I try to take care of myself and work, to the best of my ability, with what I've been given, naturally. I would fall nowhere near the category of the man with the yellow teeth. Thankfully!

I am wondering though, does this appearance obsession run rampant through CA or more so in SOCAL? I am at a point where I am questioning my decision to have moved here. I have noticed a marked difference between those raised on the east coast versus those raised on the west coast. As well, it seems that those transplants who have been here longer are more like native Californians. Now I am NOT stereotyping all Californians but I have been out and about quite a bit and have met people from all walks of life here (I think anyway) and have found this appearance obsession to run rampant.

Can anyone tell me if there are other areas of California (coastal preferably) where substance prevails over appearance? I love CA and want to stay here but find myself so missing home and wonder if this feeling of missing substance is contributing to that. I want to stay here but am now researching other areas of the state that might have more of a home town type feel, with charm, etc., but also have the culture I crave that is so close and abundant in the San Diego area. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:11 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,825 times

"Worrying about appearance is only a concern for those who aren't naturally good looking."

PS- Welcome to the FUTURE of America. California is only the vanguard. Best of luck all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California