Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,569 times

Advertisements

Could use some positive advice on relocating to Northern Cali. I have a temporary job opportunity in Loleta California and would like to know if anyone can give some good advice on moving to that area. The only thing I know is that it is where the infamous RedWood Forrests are. Outside of that I am clueless.

I am from NY originally and have live for the last 15 years in Fort Myers, Florida. I am very interested in the opportunities that California can provide. But I must say I am a little nervous about picking up and moving to the other side of the coutry. Any advice (inforamation you wouldn't know unless you lived there) would be helpful.

This job would place me in Humboldt county. I am possibly looking to move to Arcata (supposedly a cozy college town about 27 minutes away from where I would be working. Can anyone tell me a more suitable place to go or maybe what I can expect from a town like Arcata.

Once I get to Cali and get settled in I would be interested in being in the outskirts of San Fran, California. So any advice about that surrounding area would be helpful as well.

I am a career Executive/Administrative Assistant. Hopefully this means I can find work just about anywhere. It also means that my budget for living expenses must be humble. I can afford a million dollar anything, if you know what I mean! I like for city fun to be accessible but I don't want to live in the heart of it for financial reasons and for peace of mind as well.

Can any one help me or direct me to an internet source that can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 PM

99 posts, read 380,452 times
Well I'm not sure of the actual population of Loleta but I do know that it is very, very small. No matter where you live in that area you are going to have some culture shock so be prepared for that.

The entire area up there is pretty laid back and nothing moves all that quickly. Not to say that things don't get done - they do. Just at a somewhat slower pace. And trust me that is also not to say that they are behind the times at all - they aren't.

Arcata would probably be a good place for you as that is probably where the most activity is. I'm guessing you are somewhat on the young side. You are correct that it is a college town and, well, let's just say a bit on the organic side.

Please go to that area with an open mind - you will need it. I used to live up there and still have many friends there. Love the area but I also know many people who couldn't wait to get away. Many people tend to think that it is always sort of gloomy, gray and cold up there. Sure it is but not always. It can be really beautiful.

You are not going to get the big city feel while living up there. Arcata is about a 5 hour drive to San Francisco (is it shorter now with the new bridge in??) so it is not as though you are going to be spending a lot of time in SF.

You say you have a temp job. Have you thought what you will do once that is done? I know you mentioned SF and you are correct in taht it is pretty expensive there. How long is your temp job? Will i give you the opportunity to go down to the bay area and explore each area - such as East Bay, South Bay, North Bay, etc?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,108 times
Default Did you move there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalmoon View Post
Could use some positive advice on relocating to Northern Cali. I have a temporary job opportunity in Loleta California and would like to know if anyone can give some good advice on moving to that area. The only thing I know is that it is where the infamous RedWood Forrests are. Outside of that I am clueless.

I am from NY originally and have live for the last 15 years in Fort Myers, Florida. I am very interested in the opportunities that California can provide. But I must say I am a little nervous about picking up and moving to the other side of the coutry. Any advice (inforamation you wouldn't know unless you lived there) would be helpful.

This job would place me in Humboldt county. I am possibly looking to move to Arcata (supposedly a cozy college town about 27 minutes away from where I would be working. Can anyone tell me a more suitable place to go or maybe what I can expect from a town like Arcata.

Once I get to Cali and get settled in I would be interested in being in the outskirts of San Fran, California. So any advice about that surrounding area would be helpful as well.

I am a career Executive/Administrative Assistant. Hopefully this means I can find work just about anywhere. It also means that my budget for living expenses must be humble. I can afford a million dollar anything, if you know what I mean! I like for city fun to be accessible but I don't want to live in the heart of it for financial reasons and for peace of mind as well.

Can any one help me or direct me to an internet source that can?
We're moving there this summer; how did it go for you?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acornroot View Post
We're moving there this summer; how did it go for you?
My guess, no he did not: he posted once, that was it and look at when that posting was.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California