Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,453 times

Advertisements

I am researching a possible move to in or around Arcata for a potential new job - what I reading on various forums and threads is troubling - high crime rates (especially Eureka) / high housing costs / not so great weather. I have been there and know it is beautiful - but maybe not such a great place to live??? I'd appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Idaho View Post
I am researching a possible move to in or around Arcata for a potential new job - what I reading on various forums and threads is troubling - high crime rates (especially Eureka) / high housing costs / not so great weather. I have been there and know it is beautiful - but maybe not such a great place to live??? I'd appreciate any advice.
Liking or disliking Humboldt Co is very much a love/hate game, there is little inbetween as it is a different world. Is the weather crappy? That depends. If you are ok with not seeing much sun (anytime of the year) you will be fine. The summers are cool and the nights always nice, but yes, it is foggy and yucky much of the time. Some people love this. Crime, I think most of trhe crime is anythng but violent, but there is a lot. I suppose do to the economy and drug use. I don't know about the cost of housing, but I can't believe it is all that high. Of course you are comparing it with Idaho am sure.

We lived in Eureka during the height of the Timber industry era and we found it even depressed then. My husband was in management, working for a large Timber company. We felt isolated and our kids were not happy or as happy as usual. For us, it was anything but heaven. For many others it is God country, (pretty it is) Hopefully others will be able to jump in and give you their take on the area. Oh, we got great crab meat as well and there were some cool places to eat. One of the positives: it is the only place we ever lived where there was not a lot of pressure to keep up with the Jone's, which was great for the kids.

Nita

Old 06-27-2011, 01:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I'm sure housing is high compared to Idaho and the weather is typically cool. You can look all that stuff up. I live in the south area (Cutten) and since I moved back in '93 the only crime of which I have been a victim was last Hallowe'en when some a-hole took both our pumpkins and smashed them in the street. Humboldt County is an acquired taste. You really have to live here awhile to know whether you'll like it or not. Having a job before you move is really important. North Idaho (are you from Sandpoint?) is very conservative compared to Humboldt County. You may have to make some adjustments. All I can suggest is : read the local papers online(the Times-Standard, the North Coast Journal, the Arcata Eye) and visit for as long as possible before making up your mind. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,964 times
Default 2012 to 2013 - Eureka

During the designated period, simple rentals in Eureka generally required posting a $1000 deposit regardless of size. Even the preferred rental units in complex but modern apt. complexes were stated as high robbery areas. Due to the designation of Eureka in the Emerald Triangle of marijuana growing/selling, it seemed that users tended to want to grow marijuana in their residences regardless its availability on the street. Thus, rentals tended to have an old and exhausted appearance. Developers do not build because there is not enough rental traffic to suggest new units can be maintained as safe and the quality of construction maintained. On the other hand, the City clearly was trying hard, while I was there, to rehab...rehab...rehab.... But that is not where the crux of the problem lies. This is a social will issue. Until there is a realization that to have an appealing city that invites residential settlement, locals and City Hall together must fight the terms of marijuana use. Devoted users who want to grow in their residences have to stop it, or made to stop with extremely high penalties. A push is already coming from the drought and the need to conserve water, not waste its use to destroy the interior of a rental property.

I came away wondering if L. Frank Baum was prescient about Eureka when, in "The Wizard of Oz" he set out literally the path frought with danger leading to the Emerald City, and the movie version well showed a fellow traveler clawing, scratching and fighting her way up and over the hill away. Same in Arcata, McKinleyville, Fortuna, Rio Dell and down the coast. Crescent City puts on a very conservative face, however. If you move there, be prepared to run for office; there is a whole "developer's" set of issues going on there. Make it the pretty place it can be despite its maritime denizens history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California