Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Texas style? I don't believe I've come across that too terribly often here in CA.
I don't believe that.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Oh yea, go GIANTS, Rangers fans don't deserve it, you know they are really just football fans trying to follow baseball because the Cowboys are irrelevent right now.
Could be the same be said of the Giant fans when it comes to the 49ers because both the Niners and Cowboys are proud franchises that are irrelevant right now? Both San Francisco and Dallas are football cities with a lot of people that love baseball. Both states are underrated baseball states too. Fans have always supported the Rangers and we had the best ride ever. Congrats to the Giants on the world series. Great pitching staff and an underrated lineup.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
I looked up that Santa Maria trip-tip, since I had bever heard of it in my many years of enjoying BBQ.

It looks tasty. It's a cut of sirloin grilled over a wood or coal fire.

The Unofficial Santa Maria Style BBQ Page

While undoubtedly tasty, it's not BBQ. It's just a form of grilled meat. Grilling is not BBQ'ing. BBQ takes six to 12 hours of exposure to smoke and very low heat. Grilling is something completely different.

No not really. All barbeque means is to cook meat over fire. The whole grill vs bbq is a Texas and southern thing. In California they'd just call it smoked meats. You'll have to try the tri tip sometime its awesome....just go by Costco. Ive got a good friend who is a Texan and lived in California for 15 years and he's an amatuer chef, and he loves tri tip over brisket. Not that brisket is bad, its just not great.

And: Congrats to Rangers and Giants! The underdogs triumphed in both leagues.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
The Giants won because the Dodgers were going through a divorce and made no offseason moves to help the team. Then Mr. McCourt traded away all the younger stud players and added geezers in an attempt to keep Mrs McCourt from playing the field so to speak.

Thanks to Montclair for admitting there are some good waves on Texas Beaches, few people here admit they are wrong. Texas does have some commercial areas but the beaches were I am at -Rockport - won all sorts of awards for being pristine line -free of polluting.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No not really. All barbeque means is to cook meat over fire. The whole grill vs bbq is a Texas and southern thing.
No. I just explained that BBQ is cooked via smoke, not fire. Fire is grilling, not BBQ'ing. Further, Texas and the South are where BBQ is made. You'd get laughed at if you went to Memphis and started talking about California-style BBQ.

By the way, what else does California BBQ besides sirloin? How are California's ribs, hot link, pork shoulder, mullet, turkey and brisket?

Quote:
In California they'd just call it smoked meats. You'll have to try the tri tip sometime its awesome....just go by Costco. Ive got a good friend who is a Texan and lived in California for 15 years and he's an amatuer chef, and he loves tri tip over brisket. Not that brisket is bad, its just not great.
Brisket is fantastic, and California would be wrong and sloppy in its classifications, because country ham has little to do with BBQ brisket, though both are smoked.

As for tri-tip, if I want sirloin steak, I'll just get a prime sirloin from a real butcher. No need to go for the lesser cut from a box store. When I'm down around Santa Maria I'll try the tri-tip there.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Don't player hate. If Texans are really doing well then more power to them. I'm sure the BUSH family (+LBJ) had nothing to do with that..... I've been there. It's not all that. It's South meets West. There's only one California. The author just needs a headline. Good luck to Texas!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Mmmmm... tri tip. I'd take a tri tip over a brisket any day!

When I was in Texas, I thought the food was a little too....overdone. Too greasy, too oily, too fried, too over seasoned. In CA I've noticed the food is fairly sparsely prepared, to let the actual flavors come out. I like my fresh underprocessed fruits and veggies

That's why people in the state are obese. Why they eat that way they do is beyond me, with the heat and humidity with all that blubber they carry around is nuts.

I lived in Texas for awhile and went back home to Colorado. I will never set foot back into that state again.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
That's why people in the state are obese. Why they eat that way they do is beyond me, with the heat and humidity with all that blubber they carry around is nuts.

I lived in Texas for awhile and went back home to Colorado. I will never set foot back into that state again.

That's true they do Eat-A-Lot or at least their lives seem to revolve around food.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
That's one thing Texas has all over California - food. You never hear "California-style," except for sushi or bad pizza. "Texas-style" is everywhere and usually considered the best in class.

The Gulf is famous for seafood. I've never heard of California shrimp.

California got the scenery and weather. Texas got the food.
Are you nuts? I'm not going to say that food is TX is bad, but when it comes to food, CA > TX (& most other places), hands down. There's no comparison.

There's California-style everything. Have you not heard of "California Cuisine"? And insinuating that California is subpar for seafood is ridiculous. Dungeness crab? Pacific salmon/sea bass/sardines? I honestly couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not. But it's not just limited to seafood. Avocados. Olive Oil. Wine. Garlic. Dairy. Produce of all kinds.

I'll give Texas that Tex-Mex has a name for itself, but I don't like it and much prefer the fresh salsas of Cal-Mex over the thick goopy Tex-Mex sauces anyday.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Are you nuts? I'm not going to say that food is TX is bad, but when it comes to food, CA > TX (& most other places), hands down. There's no comparison.
Dude, you're crazy. Nobody takes California food seriously. Wine, yes. That's it. You slap "California" on food, and people think "what do those tofu eaters know about it?"

Quote:
There's California-style everything. Have you not heard of "California Cuisine"?
No. Never. I've heard of the California Pizza Kitchen, but I don't know anyone who's ever gone there. New York, Philly, New Orleans, Texas, Carolina, Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis, these are your food regions. For example, who makes the best California-style cheesesteak?

Most of America thinks California eats tofu and bean sprouts. I've never heard of a good California rib shack.

When I've seen the occasional item that comes from California, such as Columbus salame, I'm met with "really? California?" Most people think you're all vegetarians.

Quote:
And insinuating that California is subpar for seafood is ridiculous. Dungeness crab?
The best crab comes from the Chesapeake. Florida Stone Crab is also strong.

Quote:
Pacific salmon
That comes from Alaska.

Quote:
/sea bass/sardines? I honestly couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not. But it's not just limited to seafood. Avocados. Olive Oil. Wine. Garlic. Dairy. Produce of all kinds.
California olives suck. Their groves just can't make a decent olive, despite lots of trying, and that's why California olives are regularly sold stuffed, to cover up for the bad taste. Nobody buys California olive oil. Nobody. You grow a lot of garlic. That doesn't mean it tastes any better than garlic grown in my garden. It's a crop, not a cuisine.

Quote:
I'll give Texas that Tex-Mex has a name for itself, but I don't like it and much prefer the fresh salsas of Cal-Mex over the thick goopy Tex-Mex sauces anyday.
You don't like Tex-Mex? What? Everyone likes Tex-Mex. It's one of America's favorite foods.

By the way, if it weren't for the guacamole served at Tex-Mex joints, you wouldn't sell half of those avocados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California