Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Our dolphins are nicer. I've interviewed dozens and dozens of CA dolphins and TX dolphins, and, all I can say is that CA dolphins are the clear winner. Now, if you're talking crustaceans, well....that's a different story.
Yeah, I've heard that California crustaceans can be a bit crabby!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do agree the summers are much longer, I have lived in Sac and Dallas, but overall the central valley (I am thinking more along old 99) can be brutal in the summer. We loved the weather in Sac, hot during the day, but always cool at night. I can remember driving through places like Fresno when the kids were little and having it 90 degrees at 9pm. The thing missing, of coruse, is the high humdity.

If you read what else I have said, yes, I agree, the states are very different. I have lived all over Ca, from San Diego to Eureka and inland as far as east Sacramento (American River area). Both state have positives and negatives as do all parts of our country and the world.

Nita
It can be brutal when you live there, but its all relative I guess. Ive got a sister in Fresno, and it can be bad there, but again its not sustained for 4 months.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,775,768 times
Both have their good and bad.

As far as scenic beauty and outdoor activities, Texas has nothing on California. While there is some diversity in Houston and the Dallas area, thats about it. California also kills on that. Both states are minority majority and heavily Hispanic. Texas has more black people, California has more Asians and more Asian diversity. Asians in Texas are almost entirely confined to the Houston and Dallas areas with a few sprinkled in Austin.

For cost of living and economy, of course Texas is the better of the two.

How could Texas be a California? I cant think of many reasons. The only thing that comes to mind is that the major cities in Texas are heavily Hispanic much like the majors in Southern California. Both states are very large in population and economic size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I don't know what part you are moving to, but in the Dallas forum they don't like people from California. They will deny it and say well they don't like people from California who want to change things or complain because where they moved is not like California, for example.. it's too hot, there is no traders joes, in and outs. Then they turn around and say Frisco is a horrible place because the californians moved in there and made it their own mini california. They turn all snobby. I lived in trophy Club, they didn't like it there either for some reason.
This I actually dont agree with. I am a native of Torrance, CA and have lived in North Dallas (in the city of Dallas) for about 18 months now. I have had maybe one or two snide remarks in that time period. Most people dont seem to care one way or another. Im sure some Texans dont like Californians, but some Californians dont like Texans either. All our friends thought we were nuts for moving here and we had to hear the horror stories over and over again. Now that we are here, we haven't encountered that negativity. There are so many people from different parts of the US and the world in the major cities that nobody seems to care about it anymore.

I really miss California though. Not enough to move back and live in an apartment for the rest of my life, but it really was a great place to grow up. I miss the mountains the most and while I live in a blue county (Dallas county), Texas is an incredibly red state which Im not crazy about. All in all, I still like living here a lot. We are getting ready to buy a nice house in a middle class suburb, the area is still pretty diverse, the food is good, there is a major airport here, the people are fairly nice, we both have great jobs and make much more than we did in LA, and I have had no trouble making friends. Dallas has been very good to us.

Is Texas the new California? In a word, no. That doesnt make it a bad place, it just makes it not California.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It can be brutal when you live there, but its all relative I guess. Ive got a sister in Fresno, and it can be bad there, but again its not sustained for 4 months.
oh, I do agree. In fact one of the reasons we left the Dallas area was the humidity and long summers. When we decided to get a little closer to family and move from NM to AR, we were worried about the humidity. Luckily, our summers here (except this year) have not been nearly as bad as Texas or as long.

Nita

Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,206,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

Is Texas the new California? In a word no.
Thank God for that! I hope Texas never becomes "Californicated".

Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,325,190 times
Quote:
It's not getting any better in Texas. Texas still has the highest insurance rates in the nation, electricity deregulation has failed prompting lawmakers to stop deregulation in some areas of the state. College tuition has doubled again prompting lawmakers to freeze rates in a emergency move. We still rank #1 in children without health insurance, #1 in air pollution, #1 in teen pregnancy, #1 in population without health insurance, and it just gets worse.

The report Texas on the Brink is provided by State Senator Shaphleigh out of El Paso.
Texas sounds like a horrible place.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 PM

731 posts, read 1,369,697 times
Things are what they are. Justin Bieber is not the New Elvis.

I've lived in both Texas & California and like both places. If home prices were reasonable in California, there would not be an exodus to the south central US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Texas sounds like a horrible place.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 PM

33 posts, read 85,214 times
This is Texas!

here's California

Last edited by aldel12; 11-06-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 12:23 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,555,775 times
I love it when threads turn into picture fests. I'm sure there will be some dandy CA piks on the way. I can't lose.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,325,190 times
My impression of Texas when I was driving through it was it was flat, dry, and ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California