Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm from Connecticut, can I become illegal, move to CA and get free tuition.
Uh oh, someone wasn't paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Besides, everyone needs pets, right? In a sense, it's a form of social slavery which the purveyors don't see as patronizing, dehumanizing and demeaning 'cause once again, it makes them feel goooood!
And you claim you are not a Republican... hoo hee, that is classic teabagger stuff.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I'm from Connecticut, can I become illegal, move to CA and get free tuition.

Why do people from CA approve this? What is the rationale
Accepting the fiction that you could somehow become illegal (assuming you are already a US citizen), if you moved to California and lived here for a year you would get the same in-state tuition that an illegal alien would get if he/she lived in the state for a year, or the same out of state that you or an illegal would get not having resident status.

I don't like that illegals qualify for education at all but I'm sick and tired of uninformed people calling it "free tuition."

There is no free tuition in California unless you qualify for a 100% scholarship.

Let's put aside this "free tuition" malarkey and discuss the real issue.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Accepting the fiction that you could somehow become illegal (assuming you are already a US citizen), if you moved to California and lived here for a year you would get the same in-state tuition that an illegal alien would get if he/she lived in the state for a year, or the same out of state that you or an illegal would get not having resident status.

I don't like that illegals qualify for education at all but I'm sick and tired of uninformed people calling it "free tuition."

There is no free tuition in California unless you qualify for a 100% scholarship.

Let's put aside this "free tuition" malarkey and discuss the real issue.
The real issue is, why should the people who shouldn't be here in the first place receive the same benefits as those who are here legally?

As an American who has absolutely no political affiliation other than being an American citizen, especially one who can trace family lineage here back to the 1600s, it simply makes no sense to me!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The real issue is, why should the people who shouldn't be here in the first place receive the same benefits as those who are here legally?
Well no, they shouldn't be here in the first place. As I just said in a related topic, the court is telling us that we have to address the illegal immigration problem directly rather than picking at them with things like tuition. It's in some ways exactly what happened in Arizona. The court is telling us to go directly to the problem: should we have illegal immigrants here or should we not? Solve that problem and illegal immigrant college tuition would become a non-issue.

Right?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Well no, they shouldn't be here in the first place. As I just said in a related topic, the court is telling us that we have to address the illegal immigration problem directly rather than picking at them with things like tuition. It's in some ways exactly what happened in Arizona. The court is telling us to go directly to the problem: should we have illegal immigrants here or should we not? Solve that problem and illegal immigrant college tuition would become a non-issue.

Right?
Precisely. And as I've stated elsewhere, courts are to uphold the law, not make it. That seems to have become lost in the last couple of decades.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Precisely. And as I've stated elsewhere, courts are to uphold the law, not make it. That seems to have become lost in the last couple of decades.
And somewhere in the last couple of decades the courts (and government) seem to have lost the concept of America for Americans. It's almost as if it's America for special interests and America for multinational corporations, but forget America for American citizens.

It's almost as if our political parties have been bought by special interests and have sold themselves to corporations.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
And somewhere in the last couple of decades the courts (and government) seem to have lost the concept of America for Americans. It's almost as if it's America for special interests and America for multinational corporations, but forget America for American citizens.

It's almost as if our political parties have been bought by special interests and have sold themselves to corporations.
Better be careful writing things like that because Republicans will think you are a California communist

Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Better be careful writing things like that because Republicans will think you are a California communist
What I said applies to both Democrats and Republicans. Part of the problem is that the special interests buy both parties so that no matter who wins, the winner owes them. You can do that if you have enough money, and they do.

You knew that, right?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No! Thinking people will think you actually love your country and have a mind of your own -- one not "ordered" by some political affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California