Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

It will be interestig to see how well democrats do when our legislative districts are redrawn. Glad that CA voters rejected democrats attempt to get rid of redistricting reform. Hopefully the days of unfair political advantages due to gerrymandering will be over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Muhammad Ali Hasan: Why the Republican Party Is Going Extinct

So the Republican party has managed to make enemies with the fastest growing ethnic group in America. Add to that list of those who view the GOP as repulsive: gays and now Muslims. And Republicans become a group of old white evangelical Southerners; not in anyway appealing to Californians.
I remember in the pre-9/11 days around the 2000 election there was talk of Muslim voters becoming primarily a GOP constituency because of shared conservative social values. That sure all got tossed out the window.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
There was never supposed to be monopolies in government. When all these unions were allowed in to pay off politicians to grow their jobs, salaries and retirements that IMO was a monopoly with no oversight. We see what that in fact has done to the state today. Simple, null and void the retirements down to 10% of what they were and let them have their SS.
There's a problem with that. The government can't just decide to not participate in the retirement programs that they've promised (read "legally obligated"). If they can rescind government retirement programs then why not just rescind Social Security? My career failed due to the economy and I've been forced to declare early SS. If SS is rescinded then I'll be on the streets (soon, when my savings run out). I know this isn't about me but there's millions of people in my same situation. Maybe you too one day.

Quote:
Government employment in history was always a 50% of private sector payment. They had more security in their jobs.
That was then, this is now. Yes they did have security (and I was hurt bad by layoffs time and time again because my private industry career was not guaranteed employment). I think you should pay something for guaranteed employment but evidently that is not the case now. Or is it? I'm wondering if the government feeding trough is going to be forced to close, because there's no more feed (the taxpayers can't pay it anymore). Maybe government employees are going to be hard hit soon with the same private industry layoffs that struck me dozens of times in my career.

Quote:
First Kennedy allowed this ca ca for Federal employees and Jerry Brown the first time did the same thing regarding collective bargaining for state employees. Now you have 300% pay and in many cases early nearly full pay retirements. That my friend is a crime.
Null and void them. It was always a crime against the people.
I don't know what your "ca ca" is. What is this 300%? Please be more descriptive.

And please quit hitting the C/R after every sentence. They have paragraphs for that.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not all that many years ago the Democrats outnumbered the Republicans in CA 3 to 2 and in Sac 4 to 1. Nationally it was even slightly more so and there were almost no independents. The pedulum has a way of swinging back and forth. Thankfully regardless of how people register, some of us vote for the candidate, not the party. At least open minded people do this.

Nita
I voted for more Republicans before the Clinton Impeachment. The impeachment made me so angry that I voted straight Dem that year and worked hard to get rid of our Republican congressman (whom I had voted for).

I read somewhere that the new Republican congressman in charge of the government oversight committee wants to get into doing "more investigations." I'll have to wait and see what that entails, but it just doesn't sit well with me right now.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Different states/regions have different voting habits. I don't now why its so distressing to some that CA is turning more Democrat as time goes by - its a combination of changing demographics and a "birds of a feather" mentality as to where people move. No one has issue with Utah, Wyoming, Alaska, Texas and Oklahoma consistently voting Republican in most elections. Things change. Prior to about 1970 the South was overwhelming Democrat, regardless of race.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Different states/regions have different voting habits. I don't now why its so distressing to some that CA is turning more Democrat as time goes by - its a combination of changing demographics and a "birds of a feather" mentality as to where people move. No one has issue with Utah, Wyoming, Alaska, Texas and Oklahoma consistently voting Republican in most elections. Things change. Prior to about 1970 the South was overwhelming Democrat, regardless of race.
It's because Ca. carries what 50 electoral votes and was once home to many republicans. They are not liking the loss of such an influential state. In fact, the entire west coast has largely been lost by the GOP and they're not happy about it.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Troll alert
This kid never gives up, and his remarks are almost always the same thing. Judging from his woeful lack of knowledge about either demographics, political trends, or other areas of the nation, would say that CS is no more than than 16 or 17 and has never been outside California. Funny thing is that his OP is somewhat correct. As the older, white, conservative voters that he has such hatred and contempt for leave the state, California will continue to slide even deeper into decline and crisis. These are the productive classes, and they are taking their wealth with them. After they are gone, who will be left? Answer; wealthy white liberals, mindless worker drones that work for government, hordes of illegal aliens, members of the SEIU, huge numbers of lower class, uneducated, unintelligent persons of all racial backgrounds with entitlement mindsets, and poorer but productive citizens that desperately wish to leave, but are trapped here and cannot, for one reason or another. When California reaches this level, we shall then see just what a sad state of affairs those that have voted in existence this Marxist society will have to contend with.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
you think Democrats don't have a problem with some of the conservative states: Try reading some of the entreies on the NE and TX boards for starters?

Of course they do. Most of the threds started here about Republicans versus Democrats in Ca are started by just a couple of posters and they are Democrats, not Republicans.

I do agree with you about changing times, I have posted that earlier. This is the way our country works and will continue to work.

For those who paid attention to the article origninally posted here, I can assure you the few Muslims I happen to know are strong Republicans.

Nita

Old 11-13-2010, 08:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
As the older, white, conservative voters that he has such hatred and contempt for leave the state, California will continue to slide even deeper into decline and crisis. These are the productive classes, and they are taking their wealth with them. After they are gone, who will be left? Answer; wealthy white liberals, mindless worker drones that work for government, hordes of illegal aliens, members of the SEIU, huge numbers of lower class, uneducated, unintelligent persons of all racial backgrounds with entitlement mindsets, and poorer but productive citizens that desperately wish to leave, but are trapped here and cannot, for one reason or another. When California reaches this level, we shall then see just what a sad state of affairs those that have voted in existence this Marxist society will have to contend with.
Sad but true, or at least I agree that's where the state is headed.

Anyway it seems like all America is trying to get rid of the middle class, ending up with only the wealthy and the worker droids (and of course non-working benefit recipients of social programs).

Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
This kid never gives up, and his remarks are almost always the same thing. Judging from his woeful lack of knowledge about either demographics, political trends, or other areas of the nation, would say that CS is no more than than 16 or 17 and has never been outside California. Funny thing is that his OP is somewhat correct. As the older, white, conservative voters that he has such hatred and contempt for leave the state, California will continue to slide even deeper into decline and crisis. These are the productive classes, and they are taking their wealth with them. After they are gone, who will be left? Answer; wealthy white liberals, mindless worker drones that work for government, hordes of illegal aliens, members of the SEIU, huge numbers of lower class, uneducated, unintelligent persons of all racial backgrounds with entitlement mindsets, and poorer but productive citizens that desperately wish to leave, but are trapped here and cannot, for one reason or another. When California reaches this level, we shall then see just what a sad state of affairs those that have voted in existence this Marxist society will have to contend with.
Thanks for the complements [it's interesting how Republicans insist I don't know what I am talking about yet they continue to lose every election in California]. But you are correct about one thing: smart Republicans [oxymoron, I know] eventually do leave California for states better suited to their mindset. When are you are moving to Oklahoma? Get ready to learn the local dialect: "sooie sooie"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California