Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

All I know is: Sagebrush Annie's is now on my list of must visits. Even if I don't drink wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
You are such an arrogant boor who, I rather suspect, sits in his mother's basement making up new names and jumping from one research site to another so he can appear all knowing and superior.

Thank you buit I don't need your help. My father was raised in Paris and the, then, French West Indies -- here's a hint for you, he was half French.

Now run along little man and try to find someone you can impress because you just flopped!

Here's another hint for you to chew on. My reference was more to the name/language but doubtless that was too subtle for you in your sick quest to follow me around and try to lord over me. I'm beginning to wonder about your mental stability and orientation.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
The trick is to have enough appetite for lunch at Scheidecks and supper at Sagebrush Annies... Bicycling between the two should do it.

Quote:
Find Cheap Cabins

"Almighty," she announces in disbelief, the door swinging shut behind her. "I been hearing about this place for 24 years." She is, perhaps, 30.

Then she barks:

"Hey, is this place fit for kids?"

Chuck Graden, the bartender, moves forward, exposing the sign mounted near the register:

We don't serve women. You have to bring your own

"Sure," he says softly, smiling.

In minutes she's back, with the two children she had left outside.

Few people know what to make of Scheideck's Lodge. That's for those who actually do make it in.

The place is so remote: 37 miles due north of Ojai, up the tortuous California 33 beyond Matilija Canyon's cutoff and over much of the 6,500-foot Pine Mountain before descending to 4,000 feet. Then two right turns take the car onto dirt and, in two crossings, through the winding Cuyama River before climbing again, this time over a mesa into a mile-long gash in the Earth called Ozena Valley. A long way for a beer.

But people find it. Some, from seeing a small, ridiculous sign on the paved Lockwood Valley Road: "Scheideck's Lodge. Cocktails and dining. Turn here, go in 1.5 miles." But most simply hear about it from the people who call Scheideck's home, the people who live here in cabins only steps from the bar.

The intrepid woman is Darlene Pike, from Frazier Park, about 30 miles away. She takes a long draw on a beer and puts her bottle down atop one of the dozens of cattle brands carved into the thick wood bar, this one the shape of an ax head, and signed:

Hachet brand, 1939

"This place is great," she says. "Look at it. Nothing like it. And the creek right here is beautiful. We just hiked up it. I'd of gotten here sooner but I was raising my kids."

Scheideck's Lodge, while a curiosity to the day-tripper and oasis for hikers at nearby Reyes Creek Campground, performs many functions beyond pulling tap beer and keeping a jukebox current with Hank Williams Jr. and Bonnie Raitt. The bar is a window into a self-contained mountain colony, a tavern-as-nexus where information is traded in a phoneless society.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
You are such an arrogant boor who, I rather suspect
C'mon sport, who comes here and tells us how wonderful Missouri is, how much better than California, and what is military service consisted of, from day 1, of course the legislative stuff, ad infinitum, as if it gives a special insight into the pulse of this state, our state, not your state.
And...... who gets an astounding amount of facts, just plain wrong.

Now, lest you think I am simply critical. I have a suggestion, leave your computer, walk outside, enjoy your state. That is what I would do if I went to some far off place and said it was better than the place I left.

But, I don't think you will, I think you miss the heck out of this state, and cannot stay away, even if only virtually, so we will continue to enjoy your comments, and comment on your comments, cheap entertainment.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
C'mon sport, who comes here and tells us how wonderful Missouri is, how much better than California, and what is military service consisted of, from day 1, of course the legislative stuff, ad infinitum, as if it gives a special insight into the pulse of this state, our state, not your state.
And...... who gets an astounding amount of facts, just plain wrong.

Now, lest you think I am simply critical. I have a suggestion, leave your computer, walk outside, enjoy your state. That is what I would do if I went to some far off place and said it was better than the place I left.

But, I don't think you will, I think you miss the heck out of this state, and cannot stay away, even if only virtually, so we will continue to enjoy your comments, and comment on your comments, cheap entertainment.
Yeah, kinda figured you were into cheap thrills. "Wrong" to you is anything not found in your philosophy. Pity! You are so predictable.

For the record, Missouri isn't "better" just different. Yet another reasonable concept you can't grasp.

You never answered the question. Who's/What's your next incarnation going to be?

I'll await your answer for a bit, a very short bit, since spending/wasting anymore time on you would be futile.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Camping south of Lockwood Valley, with your trusty pack animal

Everytime you say something like this;
Quote:
Who's/What's your next incarnation going to be?
You show me that you haven't the vaguest idea what is going on, yet, you continue to comment, and that is sad. The lovely pleasant Ozarks, the Tahoe/Sierra for hillbilly's and wanabe hillbilly's, except with little golf carts and little Japanese cars.

Last edited by .highnlite; 12-06-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I didn't suggest you were a Republican! Where did that come from?
Yes you did, but you edited the comment after I responded, the original text was:

"No, on the contrary, this is just another attempt to by those who despise California [mainly Republicans like yourself] to indirectly express their sense of alienation"

Why play silly games?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Awww, come on Fonty. Cut him some slack. They serve filet mignon. How much more French can you get. And they have wine, fresh out of the box no doubt! Talk about vin ordinaire!
I thought it was a joke, sorta hard to confuse that for French food.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Another Footballfreak with the creative editing after the fact?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes you did, but you edited the comment after I responded, the original text was:

"No, on the contrary, this is just another attempt to by those who despise California [mainly Republicans like yourself] to indirectly express their sense of alienation"

Why play silly games?
Have no idea what you are referring to and frankly don't care since this thread is on Lockwood Valley and not your boring existence in California. When did you say you were fleeing to the Bronx, your ideal city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California