Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Neighbor #1 bought several properties in Prescott AZ he goes to one of them during winter, Neighbor #2 is still snoblowing.
Prescott is 5400 feet and in an average year will get 20-25 inches of snow, although it will often soon melt. #1 may not need a blower, but if he kept a shovel, might come in handy in Prescott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Beats the heck out of 15 feet in Truckee! We used shovels to cut slots from the windows upward to the surface.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
I do not know if this statement is facetious or not, the wackodeniers will say something like this everytime it gets cold someplace, but the statement is absolutely true.

Global warming puts the climate on steroids, there will be more cold and more heat, more precip and more drought.

As my neighbor in Truckee said to another neighbor as he was snoblowing his 200 foot driveway, "do you want to be doing this when you are 70?"

Neighbor #1 bought several properties in Prescott AZ he goes to one of them during winter, Neighbor #2 is still snoblowing.

We had 3/4 of a mile to plow to the county road, and we are now on the Central Coast, where none of this precip needs plowing.
While I agree with you, I think this years weather can be attributed at least in part to the volcano that irrupted for what 15 straight days in Iceland.

Volcanoes have a way of disrupting the climate as the ash is really good at blocking the suns energy.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM

You could easily be right. Not every weather or climate fluctuation is a result of warmer oceans, but, warmer oceans will cause greater fluctuations in weather and climate.

Consider the short term effect of blocked sun's energy by volcanic ash, cooler atmosphere and possibly cooler polar region, feed the warmer ocean into that equation.

Kinda like your bathroom, the warmer your shower water, the greater the condensation on the mirror, now, chill the air in the bathroom, and you have greater condensation.

Storms are just condensation on a grand scale.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
You could easily be right. Not every weather or climate fluctuation is a result of warmer oceans, but, warmer oceans will cause greater fluctuations in weather and climate.

Consider the short term effect of blocked sun's energy by volcanic ash, cooler atmosphere and possibly cooler polar region, feed the warmer ocean into that equation.

Kinda like your bathroom, the warmer your shower water, the greater the condensation on the mirror, now, chill the air in the bathroom, and you have greater condensation.

Storms are just condensation on a grand scale.
Makes sense to me

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
There could be waterspouts in our area tomorrow morning around 4am.

Strongest storm yet could bring flooding, tornadoes, hail and high winds to L.A. area | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

"Wednesday’s storm will be more energetic than the previous systems because it will result from the collision of a cool area of low pressure moving south from Seattle to Southern California and warmer, moist air from the western Pacific Ocean, beyond the International Date Line."

Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM

It was very nice to have a dry day, I even saw some sort of blue in the sky, don't know what it could have been I took the KLR out to get some fresh air and see what has happened around here. A couple of small creeks that are a trickle or dry through the summer had come up 6 feet or more, they are back down to just a couple of feet now.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,334 times
I wonder if weather happened in the 1800s. Probably not.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I wonder if weather happened in the 1800s. Probably not.
I don't think it was invented until later!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 PM

253 posts, read 349,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't think it was invented until later!

Maybe weather was invented, but definitely not climate change, glacial and interglacial cycles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California