Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 8,881 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I want to move to Southern California from Illinois. We have 2 kids, currently 2yrs and 6mos, but we probably won't make this move for about 1.5 - 2 years...

We love San Diego but know how expensive it is to live there...where else in Southern California is a great place to live, affordable, safe and has good schools? We would like to be some what close to San Diego - so we can drive easily for day trips and such....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza_girl25 View Post
So my husband and I want to move to Southern California from Illinois. We have 2 kids, currently 2yrs and 6mos, but we probably won't make this move for about 1.5 - 2 years...

We love San Diego but know how expensive it is to live there...where else in Southern California is a great place to live, affordable, safe and has good schools? We would like to be some what close to San Diego - so we can drive easily for day trips and such....
"Great place to live" is too subjective for anyone to tell you where

"safe and has good schools" generally go together but are typically not

"affordable", which is also subjective

Meeting all of those requirements is just about impossible in coastal SoCal so many people go way inland to get affordability, safety, and good schools, but then spend half their life commuting in heavy traffic to work. Not sure if that qualifies as a great place to live then.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:

Depends on where you jobs are.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 8,881 times
ok...

Affordable for us - a 3 bedroom place under $1800 a month would be affordable.

Safe and good schools - good schools are more important - we currently live in Chicago and the schools here are...well...awful, high teacher/student ratio, low funds alotted per student, passing rates low, and a lot of crime going on in the schools - so a good school would be well the opposite of those.
Safety - I just want to make sure that where we decide to live is a good place to raise children - our direct neighborhood would need to be a place where being out late at night or early morning would be fine....

Coming from Chicago - we need to be somewhere that is lively and will have a lot of culture to offer our kids as they grow up which is why we would like to be near San Diego, to be able to take in what the city has to offer...

Hope this helps more...

Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's really too early to be pinning down places to live. There are lots of good places to live. When you know where you will be working you can go from there. If you plan to move first/find jobs second then it won't matter anyway since you will no doubt rent something on a temporary basis while looking for work. Much can happen in a couple years.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
ok...

Affordable for us - a 3 bedroom place under $1800 a month would be affordable.

Safe and good schools - good schools are more important - we currently live in Chicago and the schools here are...well...awful, high teacher/student ratio, low funds alotted per student, passing rates low, and a lot of crime going on in the schools - so a good school would be well the opposite of those.
Safety - I just want to make sure that where we decide to live is a good place to raise children - our direct neighborhood would need to be a place where being out late at night or early morning would be fine....

Coming from Chicago - we need to be somewhere that is lively and will have a lot of culture to offer our kids as they grow up which is why we would like to be near San Diego, to be able to take in what the city has to offer...

Hope this helps more...
Well, for San Diego County as well as most of the nicer coastal areas of SoCal $1800/mo won't go very far. As you move east prices go down. But unfortunately schools go down somewhat as well. Since you are looking at this far in advance I would start by looking for a decent school district in a relatively affordable area.

Look here first: California School Performance Maps

We have family in the East SD. Some parts a nicer than others. I would start looking in places like Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain, inland Carlsbad near Ocean Hills (but not Vista), possibly San Carlos, etc...

Ultimately you may need to increase your budget. It depends if you think you are going to buy a house for that $$ vs. rent. Check out craigslist to get a more realistic idea of rents for 3 BR homes in the nicer neighborhoods.

For more affordable living bordering SD County with still decent schools there is Temecula. It's Riverside County. And it is a real bedroom community further removed from job centers and everything else. But many have moved there in search of affordability. The schools are much better in general than parts of East SD County like El Cajon (which is cheaper living as well).

Lastly if you are focused on San Diego I would post a question on the SD forum and here form the locals there as well. There are nice areas in LA and OC Counties. But it depends on where you prefer. Have you visited CA much?

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California