Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

They sure are an interesting and peaceful way to see the back country and hinterlands. I'd much rather do that from atop a horse than astride an infernal machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They sure are an interesting and peaceful way to see the back country and hinterlands. I'd much rather do that from atop a horse than astride an infernal machine.
I'd take the machine, but I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't ride horses (though...I do find it odd), rather that they are an expensive luxury item. As a result they are used to signal wealth, those pesky working-class folks can't easily obtain one.

I grew up in a working-class community in California, nobody I knew had a horse, but we sure did surf and skate a lot. I see a lot of horse people here though, numerous multi-million horse properties in the Conejo Valley (Hidden Valley, etc).

Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
And I know a lot of regular working-class people who have a horse/horses. I come from horse people, and we're not rich. We (they, I don't have any horses) simply forgo other things in life to make way for the horse expense. To say it's an indicator of wealth is rather close-minded.

I'm sure many wealthy people share my taste for fine imported coffee beans, but that doesn't mean I wipe with 100 dollar bills.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
as per the article, a farrier can make $100,000 K a year, cute beats rich.
So they are lower middle class then?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Surfing is more or less a working-class/middle-class thing, all it takes is a surf board and some free time (similarly for skateboarding). Horses are primarily an upper-middle class/rich snob thing, it takes considerable resources to maintain the horses, have room for them, etc. Horses are just one of the many ways the wealthy display their status. In terms of function they are entirely outdated and useless.
I have seen all economic classes surfing and plenty of middle class people that have horses. I guess Malibu is full of working class and middle class people then.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Quote:
Horses are just one of the many ways the wealthy display their status. In terms of function they are entirely outdated and useless.

For every minute a person rides a horse, he spends about $200 (stable fees, vets, original purchase, etc) and about 45 minutes maintaining, feeding, caring, cleaning, etc.

And, you just got to love flies.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
And I know a lot of regular working-class people who have a horse/horses.
Yes...and? How does this demonstrate that horses aren't used as status symbols?

Quote:
I come from horse people, and we're not rich.
We all at some point came from "horse people", I'm talking about today.

Quote:
I'm sure many wealthy people share my taste for fine imported coffee beans, but that doesn't mean I wipe with 100 dollar bills.
Coffee beans aren't used as a signal for wealth due to the ease at which just about anybody can purchase them. Feeding, housing, etc a horse is a considerable expense for something that provides no real function.

Now, some rancher out in the middle-of-no-where may derive some actual value from the horse and his cost of ownership is going to be modest as well. But the vast majority of folks in California live in or near cities and it is here that horses function as status symbols. I should have added this caveat in my original comment.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have seen all economic classes surfing and plenty of middle class people that have horses. I guess Malibu is full of working class and middle class people then.
Really? You've seen? Did the rich kids have gold platted wet suits? The only way you're going to determine this is if you were out on the waves talking to people, so where did you go surfing?

In terms of Malibu, let me introduce you to something called an automobile, it can magically transport people to the beach.

I find it funny to what degree people object to classification of activities, tastes, etc along socio-economic lines. Americans have a strong sense that they live in a classless society, yet social class is a dominate force in their lives. Very odd!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Surfing is more or less a working-class/middle-class thing, all it takes is a surf board and some free time (similarly for skateboarding). Horses are primarily an upper-middle class/rich snob thing, it takes considerable resources to maintain the horses, have room for them, etc. Horses are just one of the many ways the wealthy display their status. In terms of function they are entirely outdated and useless.
Says the passionless lump sitting in his recliner ...

Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Yes...and? How does this demonstrate that horses aren't used as status symbols?

We all at some point came from "horse people", I'm talking about today.

Coffee beans aren't used as a signal for wealth due to the ease at which just about anybody can purchase them. Feeding, housing, etc a horse is a considerable expense for something that provides no real function.

Now, some rancher out in the middle-of-no-where may derive some actual value from the horse and his cost of ownership is going to be modest as well. But the vast majority of folks in California live in or near cities and it is here that horses function as status symbols. I should have added this caveat in my original comment.
... and yet more argumentation from the guy who has no points to actually discuss nor interests to convey nor positions to advance -- only statements to make argumentatively about individual statements made by others within their discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California